Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-08-2010, 19:10   #16
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Has me wondering how well our loose footed mainsail would set if we took the boom away completely, put the main sheet on the clew and clipped is to the pushpit rail

That's certainly the approach I would take. A loose-footed main with end-boom sheeting would be fairly simple to jury-rig on all points of sail without any semblance of the boom remaining. Especially if you had four snatch blocks available to help create a new virtual traveler. You'd lose a bit of performance downwind, but on anything less than a deep broad reach, you'd be gold.

cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 20:02   #17

Boat: Irwin 325cc, "Second Wind"
Ya need an internal sleeve........

"He sounds confident he can fix it by welding the aluminum at the break and creating a type of support sleve which he will fasten on the on the outside of the boom." I would not trust this method, I would recommend an internal sleeve about 2' long with plug welds to give strength to the boom, then the external welded bracing shorter than the internal. Relying on the external collar alone may cause an eventual tear where the edge of the collar is welded to the boom due to flexing and work hardening. Internal stiffening with plug welds will prevent work hardening of the aluminum at the edges of the circumference welds. It has been my experience with aluminum that it cannot be treated like steel as far as welding repairs go, staggered edges and well supported joints will make for stronger repairs.

Mi2ndWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 17:30   #18

Boat: morgan 38
I went with both, an internal and external sleeve. Also had the welder reinforce the gooseneck

oceansong1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: