Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 13:49   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409
boom bail sought

I'm looking for a strong boom bail to attach a boom brake. I came across one on an Australian website which seems to fit the bill but they don't deliver to Ireland. Some bails are designed to be fixed with a bolt through the boom and require a compression support. This one I like because it has 4 attachment points which could be attached by pop rivets. I am hoping that someone can direct me to a useful source. The Australian one is at https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...AbsolutePage=1
Thanks
Srah 1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 16:25   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: boom bail sought

G'Day Srah,

You might consider using a strop rather than a metal bail. We converted to strops (a heavy webbing loop that goes around the boom, held in place by small clips) a long time ago and have found then to be superior. The cost is very low, they don't require bolts through the boom, and they don't put point loads on the boom.

Our sailmaker supplied one made from spectra webbing for the clew fitting on the mainsail, but I have made all the others from 2 inch wide "seat belt" webbing, commonly available from chandlers. I use three layers and hand stitch them together at the overlap using heavy sail twine. They last a few years in the tropical sun and are easy to replace in situ.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 08-06-2012, 04:14   #3

Hi Jim
Thanks for this.
I had thought of using a rope around the boom but was put off by thought of having to put holes through stackpack cover. I did this on a previous boat for a reefing pennant and made a complete dog's dinner of it!
Anyway, can you tell me about the clips that you use and how they work – one of the problems that I see with a strop around boom is that there will be a pull forwards on it from the boombrake.
Thanks
Srah
Old 08-06-2012, 15:48   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Srah,

The easiest setup is simply a metal strap (alloy or s/s will work) on the order of an inch wide by the width of your strop plus another inch or so. Place on on each side of the boom straddling the strop and secure with a small screw in each end, thus clamping the strop to the boom. Periodically I release the "clamps" and rotate the strop a bit to put any chafing in a new spot on the strop. As I said, these last a few years and are easy and inexpensive to renew when required.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 08-06-2012, 16:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Srah,

You might consider using a strop rather than a metal bail. We converted to strops (a heavy webbing loop that goes around the boom, held in place by small clips) a long time ago and have found then to be superior. The cost is very low, they don't require bolts through the boom, and they don't put point loads on the boom.

Our sailmaker supplied one made from spectra webbing for the clew fitting on the mainsail, but I have made all the others from 2 inch wide "seat belt" webbing, commonly available from chandlers. I use three layers and hand stitch them together at the overlap using heavy sail twine. They last a few years in the tropical sun and are easy to replace in situ.

Cheers,

Jim
yep, no holes to weaken the boom and more forgiving... Used on Americas cup boats too!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:02   #6

Excellent. Thank you
Srah