Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2014, 18:35   #1

Boom as engine hoist

Would like to hear some opinions about attaching a winch to a boom in order to lift the engine out of the cabin. I've heard it referred to as standard practice a couple of times but it makes me nervous. Would it at least make sense to place something rigid over the top of the boom to distribute the weight rather than have it focused in one place? And once it is up, you just swing the boom out over the dock and set the engine down? Let's say it's a 40 foot boat with a 50hp-60hp engine. Have at it...
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 18:44   #2

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Re: Boom as engine hoist

Some years ago in Trinidad, I helped the owner of a CSY44 swap out engines, and he did use the boom as an attachment point for lifting the engine. It worked and didn't bend the boom. It was done while at the dock in the Yacht Club. I am not sure I would do it, but boats of that vintage was built much substantial than today, including the rig.
keepondancin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 18:48   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Simply evaluate and calculate the condition and safe working loads of the boom/fittings and tackle ....add some kinetic surge resistance before deciding.

If in doubt about the boom... Fabricate a steel extrusion to replace the boom that can be topped and swung out without concern.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 18:53   #4

Boat: Cascade 36

Last month I used the boom to lift an old Volvo MD2B out. That engine is at least 400 lbs. It didn't seem to stress the rig too much at all.

I did put some some wood block on top of the boom in an effort to spread the load. I tied the main halyard to the end of the boom. Lifted the end of the boom up to where I needed it. Lifted the engine out with come-a-long/puller from harbor freight. Placed the engine in the cockpit on some 2x8 boards laid across the benches. Reseting the system to move the engine out over the side involveed clearing a path to swing the engine out to the dock, using my main sheet/traveler to move the engine out and finally I had to take a stanchion out. Overall it was a pretty easy operation.
My Boat is 36' @ 14000 lbs and 400+ lbs of engine hanging over the side didn't cause any crazy heeling issues at all. I used the same set up to move the new engine on.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 19:01   #5

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

No problem. But hang the engine directly under the halyard attachment.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 19:01   #6

We have lifted an engine with our boom but on our boat there is a boom gallows behind the cockpit. This meant that we could use the main halyard to add some support to the boom at the lift point. We had no problems with the arrangement.

Another thing to consider is the angle of the hoist line down to the engine. On ours it had to enter at an angle. This would have cut into the fiberglass so to prevent this I put a big thick block of wood up against the glass to let the wire rope rub against. You might want to "test" this out before getting started.

Old 26-06-2014, 19:31   #7

Thanks all. Sounds like a viable option. I don't have a crane easily available where i am and the engine might have to come out. Appreciate the feedback.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 19:32   #8

Boat: Seafarer36c

We used the boom on a Lafette 44 no problem but on my Seafarer you can't lift the boom high enough to get over the cabin and if you could, you couldn't reach the dock. If I had to do it, I would wrestle just the short block in place then put the head and accessories on.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 19:32   #9

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Took out and replaced my MD17D through the companionway hatch some years back... we rebuilt it in the cockpit... a dry Melbourne january....
Didn't take the load on the boom...all load taken on main halyard which was run through a snatch block attached to an out haul on the end of the boom.... worked a treat.
Hope that makes sense...
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 19:34   #10

Boat: Westerly Sealord

And also.... that let us move the engine fore and aft as well as up and down....
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 19:50   #11

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

I've run a fore/aft line through a snatch block hung on the backstay turnbukle. This controls the fore/aft position of the dangling halyard.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 22:41   #12

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Took out and replaced my MD17D through the companionway hatch some years back... we rebuilt it in the cockpit... a dry Melbourne january....
Didn't take the load on the boom...all load taken on main halyard which was run through a snatch block attached to an out haul on the end of the boom.... worked a treat.
Hope that makes sense...
+1
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine