I used a 5" wide strip, about 5 ft long (just the defective portion), of 8 oz dacron sail material to lay over top of the existing bolt rope. The previous sail material over the rope was also 5" wide so this new material covers nicely. I used a Sailrite
LSZ1 and a left zipper foot to sew close to the bolt rope. I also tried (but failed miserably) to tack the new material down on either side of the rope with basting tape. I have a fairly large sewing table and was able to handle the sail to some extent but found that self feeding was a no-go. With the material being fairly rigid and slippery neither the zipper foot nor a regular foot were able to properly hold the material. Feeding was strictly manual with just a tad of speed regulation from the sewing machine
. Basically the material just kinda slides around even with a somewhat increased foot pressure. The teeth on the foot do not deform the material at all and the dacron just slides over the foot teeth tops.
Couple that with my no-existent experience and you get a pretty funky patch with both the straight stitch next to the bolt rope and the zigzag stitches into the sail going all over the place and the stitch length going hither and yon
Having said all that, it looks perfect from 8 ft away
Oh, I also bought 10 ft of replacement bolt rope from Sailrite
and that turned out to be completely different from what is currently installed in the sail. The new rope is a flexible three strand affair whereas the old rope is perfectly round with a very stiff feel - almost as if it was heavy piping covered in a fabric
on the surface.
If anyone is aware of any tricks to feed heavy sail evenly (where the sewing machine does the work), I would like to hear more details.