Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2016, 15:13   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Bobstay material: ss 1x19 or Galvy chain?

Hi folks,

I need to replace my bobstay so this is an opportunity to make a fresh start.

Just looking for the pros and cons of using galvanized chain instead of the more usual stainless wire for the bobstay.

Thanks

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Tailwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 15:36   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Bobstay material: ss 1x19 or Galvy chain?

No personal experience, but wonder about chafe between your rode and the stay... would t he chafe of a rope rode be worse on a chain stay, or the noise worse if all chain rode?

Jim
Old 13-02-2016, 15:41   #3

Boat: Tayana 37

Hey Jim,

I was thinking the same thing. One can run some PVC Tubing over a wire bobstay to mitigate chafe, but it would not be as practical tondo so over chain.

Matt

Tailwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 18:01   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The highest loaded stay on a boat is the bobstay and also the one most prone to overloading. Wire is way stronger and lighter than comparable sized chain. Chain does not have the breaking strength of whatever wire is spec'd for the bobstay unless it is way oversized. Then it's additional weight where it does most harm to sailing performance. Think you still see it on boats because it looks kind of old school 'shippy'.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 18:22   #5

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

Chain stretches, go with wire.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 18:51   #6

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Chain is certainly cheaper and you can cover it with the appropriately sized radiator hose available from your local auto parts store.
Worked fine on my old gaffer, but that wasn't exactly a high tension rig lol.
Old 13-02-2016, 19:28   #7

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

You see a lot of both. I've used both. I liked chain because it seems to handle to splash zone thing well - or at least better than wire. who know what is going on inside the crevices between each little strand of wire, especially down close to a swage or mechanical terminal. it's un-inspectable easily, and it's totally in the splash zone. On the other hand - it *can* stretch - but if it did I'd propose that perhaps you're using too small a chain for the load.

Chain looks good and shippy on a trad rig, and it's a lot easier to hand-over-hand up a chain bobstay from the water than a wire... but that may not count for much. It sure is a pain in the ass when the anchor chain and the bobstay chain link up and get themselves all in a dither when weighing anchor. you can shake the hell out of the whole boat if you keep hauling one chain over the other - severely loads bowsprit too.
I think if i was on a more modern rig, I'd probably go wire, with a norseman or sta-lok terminal on the lower end. and I'd use a lot of 5200 in the terminal. I might consider a double bobstay too. YMMV....
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 20:53   #8

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere

We have rod rigging on our Island Packet bobstay.

Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 00:58   #9

Boat: kuiper 32

For anchoring on a yacht with a bobstay you can run about 10 feet of anchor rope from the bobstay bottom fitting and use this as a snubber then your rode never rubs hard on your bobstay have done this for years great idea.just lash it onto your chain and lower over the side until it takes the weight.I have a stainless steel rod for a bobstay with a turnbuckle on it works fine.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 03:44   #10

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

My folks have always used chain bobstays, they suit their gaff ketch nicely.But we put clear heavy plastic hose over it so the anchor chain doesn't catch and clank and jamb up. Certainly the chain seems to last well. at least as long as i'd be happy to run stainless that close to the water for.

A mate uses 1x19 Stainless wire with staylocs and loose plastic pipe over it to stop chafe. suits his more modern boat. It is Slim and light.

I'd be interested to see any accurate figures on the difference in stretch between wire and chain. Both stretch, I'm just not sure what the magnitude of the difference actually is? Certainly heavy Rod is by far the best way to eliminate stretch, though I always worry about bending loads imposed by the anchor chain, and waves, but it doesn't seem to be an issue as far as I've heard so far.
Old 14-02-2016, 05:18   #11

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

It was 3/8 hi-test on a 41' Sea Tiger, Garden ketch, the links wear also over time, not "undersized". A rod with a turnbuckle even better...

captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 06:06   #12

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

The ketch rig on my Ingrid incorporates a very heavy stainless wire bobstay. Chain could work but would present issues when anchoring. As it is the anchor chain creates nasty grinding noises in the focsul when swinging on the hook. It does however give a clue as to whats going on outside:-) I wire is better if the bobstay encounters an object like a dock or a log. Certainly an impact could deform a rod in that location. On the whole I will stick with wire.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 08:12   #13

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwheel View Post
Hi folks,

I need to replace my bobstay so this is an opportunity to make a fresh start.

Just looking for the pros and cons of using galvanized chain instead of the more usual stainless wire for the bobstay.

Thanks

Matt

My Bobstay is 3/4in dia Bar with turnbuckle clevis both ends.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 09:26   #14

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

We have 1" bronze rod on ours and an all chain rode and it it very noisy without a bridle. Also when we were in a full storm for 6 hours in huge? breaking seas 3 of the 4- 5/16" bronze bolts that held the bobstay tang to the hull failed and when we found out we were happy that at that point we were surfing downwind only. The bolts were about 40 years old and the tang had no electrolysis protection. All remedied now, but we now do a better job of choosing weather windows anyway. Plus being ,now, in my mid sixties I barely have 40 years more of sailing ahead of me, I assume. 40 years ago I was in a marina and ( I only know this from others in the marina, but, including a Harbor Patrolman) a metal French boat came to visit at the far side from me and they had what I was told was a reverse polarity problem and supposedly 9 nearby boats lost their propellors in a week or so, before it was discovered. I am just saying this in regards to never seeing any zincs on bobstay tangs except mine. Of course I don't often get close enough or care enough to examine them too closely. Moitessier preferred chain as he could replace it easier.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 09:47   #15

A solid rod threaded each end is an option.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote