Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2015, 15:51   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Bird control methods

In my case I think the birds are either doing fly-by's and dropping their loads, or maybe landing on the spreader and doing the deed. These I think are land birds not seagulls and drop some kind of seed on the deck as well as poop, you hear it while sitting in the boat, sounds like BB's hitting the deck. Thank God they aren't Pellicans.
As far as cleaning up the mess, about the best I've found is Soft Scrub, not to try to derail the thread, but is there anything better?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 16:06   #17

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Hmm, perching birds. Had a small problem once whilst sailing along...

But this was more the usual problem...

Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 16:20   #18

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I tied a few garbage bags to the flag halyrads and hoisted them

They didnt like something flapping larger than themselves
Plastic bags exposed like that are an environmental hazard and in some places are unlawful. And so it should be.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 16:49   #19

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Right... but wonder I'f a wind sock sent all the way up works. Maybe a shiny one. I like the idea of a hanging a dead bird though. Hum maybe a rubber chicken.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 09:18   #20

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I've heard the dead bird trick but never tried it.

Birds are afraid of anything new. That's why you get so many rave reviews from people who just bought plastic owls, rubber snakes, whirligigs, shiny CDs, and all the rest.

Birds get used to all of them after a few days or a week. I've seen birds sitting next to or on top of every one of those things.

Monofiliment or other lines strung to interfere with their takeoff and landing will generally deter them. No bird wants to get their feet or wings tangled when they need to make a quick getaway.

As I said, I'm not sure about laying out a dead bird as a warning to the rest, but I know it would give ME some satisfaction.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 13:06   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Those self-tacking T-bars work well to discourage shags, and silver gulls, at least in Qld.

Monofil, fastened about 4 or 5 inches above your spreaders will keep most large marine s*******s off. Only banging on your rigging will make an eagle go away. Works for crows and magpies, too.

A feather duster, has to be real feathers, though, hoisted to the bottom spreaders works for one of our acquaintances, but we've never done it. Maybe the birds understand feathers as dead birds? I don't know. Interesting about the dead bird method. Does the species of the dead bird have to match the species of the ones you want to deter?

Kookaburras try to steal the rubber snakes, and you have to tie the snakes to something on deck, but the snakes discourage the sulfur-crested cockatoos.

Ann
Old 19-02-2015, 13:18   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Those self-tacking T-bars work well to discourage shags, and silver gulls, at least in Qld.

Monofil, fastened about 4 or 5 inches above your spreaders will keep most large marine s*******s off. Only banging on your rigging will make an eagle go away. Works for crows and magpies, too.

A feather duster, has to be real feathers, though, hoisted to the bottom spreaders works for one of our acquaintances, but we've never done it. Maybe the birds understand feathers as dead birds? I don't know. Interesting about the dead bird method. Does the species of the dead bird have to match the species of the ones you want to deter?

Kookaburras try to steal the rubber snakes, and you have to tie the snakes to something on deck, but the snakes discourage the sulfur-crested cockatoos.

Ann
I had problems with Sea Gulls and Starlings. It was the Starlings climbing into my boom bag making nests. Initially I just put some clothes pegs on the ends, but I think that was the same weekend I tried the thing with a dead bird.

Interesting enough, when I went for three days to Port Sorell last week, after we anchored we took the Tender to the beach and looked back and hundreds of starlings were perched all over my railings and spreaders. My wife thought it was hilarious because I was yelling at them from the beach to 'get off my girl'.

But returning to the mooring, and nothing over the weekend. I havn't been down this week so far, but I'd bet on it still working. Despite no dead bird since April last year. I'm really curious to see how long I get away with it now without sourcing another bird.

And the dead bird is not 'fresh' either, so there is no smell. I put it up on the pushpit on the back of my solar panel. I'm not sure I'd do that again as I have two new solar panels and both are working brilliantly. But I'll find somewhere to tie it on.
Old 19-02-2015, 17:39   #23

Boat: Westsail 32

This is my experience. Dead birds work beautifully. One dead bird will keep the whole marina clear. As it 'evaporates' it will still work. Here there has been just a dried out wing left hanging, and they still would not come near it. They know what that is, but they don't know how it got there.

It can be put anywhere. Here, I had one tucked under the dodger for two days while I found a place for it, and it worked there--but the feral cats then got that one. A good place is in the rigging, absolute best is a neighbour's rigging, (If he comes down to his boat, be prepared for a squawk, he'll think the Mafia has fingered him). (Don't ask).
Nothing else works. The stuffed owls and snakes don't work because they're inanimate. Birds and animals respond to body language.

I think that a supermarket chicken will work. One of these days I'll get a rock cornish game bird, thaw it, and hang it up to dry out to see if it does. It has to be hung as high as I can reach, because I did this once before and hung it on the electrical pedestal on the deck one morning to drip dry; come back in the afternoon and there was only a drumstick left. The otters got it.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 18:32   #24

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I've heard the dead bird trick but never tried it.

Birds are afraid of anything new. That's why you get so many rave reviews from people who just bought plastic owls, rubber snakes, whirligigs, shiny CDs, and all the rest.

Birds get used to all of them after a few days or a week. I've seen birds sitting next to or on top of every one of those things.

Monofiliment or other lines strung to interfere with their takeoff and landing will generally deter them. No bird wants to get their feet or wings tangled when they need to make a quick getaway.

As I said, I'm not sure about laying out a dead bird as a warning to the rest, but I know it would give ME some satisfaction.

The dead bird thing works all right. I did it with cormorants.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 19:36   #25

Boat: Irwin sloop

How and where does one obtain a dead bird? And does the process differ with the type? Where do you keep it when sailing? How long would said bird last?
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 19:40   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bird Guano is a problem that stinks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Guano Boat.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	97466  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 19:50   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Bird Guano is a problem that stinks!
Yep, it can sink unattended boats.
Old 19-02-2015, 19:53   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
How and where does one obtain a dead bird? And does the process differ with the type? Where do you keep it when sailing? How long would said bird last?
I picked mine off a derelict boat that had netting on it.

But I've noticed there are dead ones at our local municipal tip (rubbish dump). Another sailor recommended putting out a rat trap. But I've not needed to do that. I've only ever had to use one dead bird so far.

How long did it last for? My suspicion is probably years. It doesn't rot away on a boat because there are no ants or other animals to devour it. Nor does it smell after a few weeks. For me, the type doesn't seem to matter. But your American birds might be different.
Old 19-02-2015, 20:18   #29

Boat: Able 50

I shot a cormorant and hung it from a halyard. It started to fall apart after 2 weeks but that was long enough to keep my boat clean for the rest of the summer. Cormorants are territorial and all the locals got the message.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 21:04   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
If a dead chicken would work, shouldn't be too difficult to obtain.