Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2007, 22:15   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Best Self Steering Gear???

I am wondering if any of the members have any experience with "Trim Tab" type of self steering. I have been doing some reading about these and have been become interested in making one for my WESTSAIL 32. I like the idea that they are very simple and lightweight and cost effective relative to the typical servo pendulum units. I am looking for feedback from sailors who have actually have had them on boats they have owned.

Thanks,

CB
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2007, 00:48   #2

Boat: Trismus 37
I have a trim tab on my Trismus 37 They are known to be very good, just the fact it is still there after 30 plus years must say something. If you go to <www.trismus.populus.org> and click on "pilote" there are drawings available that could be adapted to other designs with a transom hung rudder. The site is in French. If you google trismus 37 you will find it as well and the translate option will give it to you in english although slightly garbled at times. Simple and effective.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
self steering