Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 17:19   #61
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New City, New York
Boat: Oday 25
Posts: 82
Re: Best knot to attach single line to jib clew?

Been using a simple cow hitch for years. Push a midpoint loop through the hole in the clew and run both ends through the loop. Has'nt slipped in the last 5 years.
__________________

__________________
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 17:48   #62
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle
Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Posts: 715
Images: 13
Re: Best knot to attach single line to jib clew?

I didn't know what a cow hitch looked like (I always called that knot a "luggage tag"). So searching on line, I found this:
Cow Hitch - How to tie a Cow Hitch

Cow Hitch
The Cow Hitch, also called the Lanyard Hitch, Lark’s Head and Lark’s Foot, is used to secure a rope to a post or other object including another rope. It is similar to a Clove Hitch except that the second half hitch is in the opposite direction. It is about as reliable as a Clove Hitch, which is to say it should not be trusted in critical applications.

I think a storm jib would be considered a "critical application".
__________________

__________________
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 18:11   #63
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,524
Re: Best knot to attach single line to jib clew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
I didn't know what a cow hitch looked like (I always called that knot a "luggage tag"). So searching on line, I found this:
Cow Hitch - How to tie a Cow Hitch

Cow Hitch
The Cow Hitch, also called the Lanyard Hitch, Lark’s Head and Lark’s Foot, is used to secure a rope to a post or other object including another rope. It is similar to a Clove Hitch except that the second half hitch is in the opposite direction. It is about as reliable as a Clove Hitch, which is to say it should not be trusted in critical applications.

I think a storm jib would be considered a "critical application".
The link shows a Lark's Head /Cow Hitch being tied on the end of a rope. In that situation, the hitch indeed "can slip or come undone if the object it is tied to rotates or if constant pressure is not maintained on the line."

Tying it in the middle of a long sheet is a very different situation.
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 18:28   #64
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,107
Re: Best knot to attach single line to jib clew?

We've always kept the storm jib with its sheets attached (with bowlines), so the whole schlemozzle is ready to go when you need it. That is the background to why I recommended what I did.

I think that the bowline in the bight or the double figure of 8 knot would work okay shackled to a soft shackle at the clew. At present our jib sheets are done with bowlines and the soft shackle to the clew. I would still prefer to have the storm jib as a ready-to-go unit with its sheets attatched, directly, for peace of mind. Others' mileage may vary.

I would not use a cow hitch. Except for a saddle cinch.

Ann
__________________
with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers

"Today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure."
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 18:28   #65
Registered User
 
ryon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 588
Re: Best knot to attach single line to jib clew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
The link shows a Lark's Head /Cow Hitch being tied on the end of a rope. In that situation, the hitch indeed "can slip or come undone if the object it is tied to rotates or if constant pressure is not maintained on the line."

Tying it in the middle of a long sheet is a very different situation.
This is not what the op asked for, but to tie a one-ended cow hitch/larks head/ring hitch, etc. just pass the short end back thru the two loops. This creates a "pedigree cow hitch" that will always tighten, no matter which direction it is pulled (thank you Lindsey Philpott!).
__________________
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 19:10   #66
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London, ON Canada
Boat: Tartan 37
Posts: 70
Re: Best knot to attach single line to jib clew?

I have used a cow hitch for nearly 20 years and never had an issue with it slipping on the ring sewn into the sail. It is a streamlined as you are going to get.
__________________
Steve O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 20:45   #67
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Schooner Chandlery's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: home port Washington DC
Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Posts: 977
Re: Best knot to attach single line to jib clew?

The cow hitch's bigger issue is how it tightens into something that's almost impossible to get apart if it has been subjected to a large load.
__________________
"The only noble thing a man can do with money is to build a schooner." Robert Louis Stevenson

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 21:00   #68
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,666
Re: Best knot to attach single line to jib clew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
You love that alpine butterfly eh SWL? I agree bowline on the bight.
I was wondering how I could apply my true love (Zeppelin Bend) here, but sadly gave up .

SWL
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 21:20   #69
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,425
Re: Best knot to attach single line to jib clew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
The cow hitch's bigger issue is how it tightens into something that's almost impossible to get apart if it has been subjected to a large load.
Never came across a knot I couldn't in bend with my marlin spike
__________________
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 21:25   #70
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,524
Re: Best knot to attach single line to jib clew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I was wondering how I could apply my true love (Zeppelin Bend) here, but sadly gave up .

SWL
Easy! You tie an overhand knot in the centre of the long sheet, feed one end of the sheet through the clew until you come up to the knot and then complete a Zeppelin Loop with the knot
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 23:12   #71
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2007
Boat: Privilege 482
Posts: 348
Re: Best knot to attach single line to jib clew?

Well, since I'm hoping to use the storm sail as a sort of cutter rig setup on our upcoming passage to NZ (the storm jib hanks onto the baby stay and supposedly gives another .5 to 1 knot speed on a beam reach), I've gone with a simple cow hitch. I'll watch for any slippage and we'll see how hard it is to take apart later. Hopefully won't need to use it as a true storm jib, but you never know on this route....


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
Boats, kids, and all that jazz.
teneicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 00:50   #72
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boat in Turkey, Beach cat in Israel
Boat: Lagoon 400 & Nacra 6.0 beach cat
Posts: 607
Re: Best knot to attach single line to jib clew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
Well, since I'm hoping to use the storm sail as a sort of cutter rig setup on our upcoming passage to NZ (the storm jib hanks onto the baby stay and supposedly gives another .5 to 1 knot speed on a beam reach), I've gone with a simple cow hitch. I'll watch for any slippage and we'll see how hard it is to take apart later. Hopefully won't need to use it as a true storm jib, but you never know on this route....


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Short seizing of the tails together near the eye of the sail with twine will help to avoid any slippage (that usually would not happen anyway)
__________________
Mark, S/Y Bat-Yam
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:05   #73
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,666
Re: Best knot to attach single line to jib clew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Easy! You tie an overhand knot in the centre of the long sheet, feed one end of the sheet through the clew until you come up to the knot and then complete a Zeppelin Loop with the knot
Knew I could rely on the Zep Master to come up with something .

SWL
PS I will have to go hunt up photos I took of the seized Alpine Butterfly Loop when it had tension applied to the loop and one end, rather than two ends, as designed.
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:31   #74
Registered User
 
Muckle Flugga's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aboard the Ocean wave
Boat: 55' sloop.
Posts: 1,426
Re: Best knot to attach single line to jib clew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I was wondering how I could apply my true love (Zeppelin Bend) here, but sadly gave up .

SWL
I thought you might go there.
__________________
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:02   #75
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,232
Re: Best knot to attach single line to jib clew?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I was wondering how I could apply my true love (Zeppelin Bend) here, but sadly gave up .

SWL
And here is another way. The OP cuts the line, uses bowlines to attach to the storm jib and then when he/she wants a long line again, the Zep is used to join the two lines.

Come on Sea, try harder
__________________

__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jib, knot, single

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is a shackle OK to attach jib tack to forestay? Newport27 Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 24 20-08-2015 22:59
Uk jib issues with undersized clew rings Mystic Rhythms Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations 0 08-05-2015 04:07
Best knot for shortening a line (temporarily) SaltyMonkey Seamanship & Boat Handling 35 04-08-2014 23:32
Do not Attach a Floating Buoy to a Trip Line. Fuss Anchoring & Mooring 36 18-07-2014 08:03
How Do You Attach Your Working / Storm Jib ? unbusted67 Seamanship & Boat Handling 36 08-11-2012 17:47



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:28.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.