Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2012, 06:09   #1

Boat: 1969 Bristol 33'
Best Hard Wood in Guatemala ?

We have a deck stepped aluminium mast on a 33' Bristol 1969. We are replacing the wooden mast support under the cabin sole which is 20" long by 3" x 3" as the original one has rotted due to water ingress. We want to splice the new piece into the still-good wooden post which spans from the ceiling to the floor of the salon. I don't think it is possible to get the high tech materials you have in USA so we're wondering what would be the best hard wood down here to use? We reckon we can resolve the water ingress problem.
louiseevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 06:20   #2

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: best hard wood in Guatemala?

Greenheart or purpleheart, used on cross-arms on power poles in many places.
So heavy it sinks, very hard, used it for a mooring bitts on a boat and it eroded the galvanising off the chain.
Old 30-05-2012, 06:47   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

oooooooooooohhhh--blue stocking--sounds awesome!!!! mebbe for me caprail....dont we call it ironwood??
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 07:01   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

The wood that they use for the cayucas as well as building is called santa maria, it is red, fairly heavy and somewhat rot proof. It is very common but usually sold wet. I would either use that or the locally available "teca" (teak), which you can also find easily there at a good price.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 07:02   #5
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

I once had dinghy davits that had a pair of unknown hardwood 2 x 3's as part of the dinghy lift system. When I removed and sold the davits I hung onto the hardwood and just tossed them onto a pile here at the house. Some years later a project presented itself and I re-sawed one of those 2 x 3's into 1/2 inch planks. I was amazed how hard the wood was when running it through my band saw and it absolutely floored me when the newly sawed cuts oxidized in a few minutes into a gorgeous dark purple right before my eyes.

That piece of wood is now the radio cabinet in my salon. Unfortunately, the purple disappears when you seal the wood with spar varnish.

Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 07:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
I once had dinghy davits that had a pair of unknown hardwood 2 x 3's as part of the dinghy lift system. When I removed and sold the davits I hung onto the hardwood and just tossed them onto a pile here at the house. Some years later a project presented itself and I re-sawed one of those 2 x 3's into 1/2 inch planks. I was amazed how hard the wood was when running it through my band saw and it absolutely floored me when the newly sawed cuts oxidized in a few minutes into a gorgeous dark purple right before my eyes.

That piece of wood is now the radio cabinet in my salon. Unfortunately, the purple disappears when you seal the wood with spar varnish.

You have described purpleheart. Hell on saw blades, likely to have shakes if exposed to hot sun, but will last forever,--TOREDOs can't eat it.!!
Old 30-05-2012, 07:33   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
oooooooooooohhhh--blue stocking--sounds awesome!!!! mebbe for me caprail....dont we call it ironwood??
Lignum vitee(iron wood)...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 08:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Lignum vitee(iron wood)...
We are wandering a bit here, but,--lignum vitae (of which I have 2 trees on my property), is not the same wood. I think the green and purple heart comes out of Guyana.
Richard Jagels did an article about the hearts in WoodenBoat some time back.
Old 30-05-2012, 09:22   #9
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

The term "ironwood" can be confusing because everywhere you go there is a different tree that they call Ironwood. In Hawaii, ironwood is australian pine. Whatever the locals use for their palapa posts is usually the best wood for a given area but for a mast compression post you don't need lignum vitae, take my advice and go with the santa maria or teak. There are a couple of shops in Rio Dulce who will even fabricate the piece and finish it for you very cheaply, just ask around.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 10:59   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I started wondering about wood and its affects upon people when particulated(sawn ,sanded) and on CF someone had posted what the affects could be, I was taken aback..they wrote that teak could cause(not trying to be funny here)"swelling of the scrotum" has anyone (women excluded ..lol) found this to be true? I have bad reactions to poison ivey,sumac,and some types of trees(rose of sharon,cow itch vines,walnut ) I have lots of teak on my boat and was going to sand the wood on the outside of my boat and I dont want my "thang" to "swell up"...wondering..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 12:02   #11

Once again, I refer to Richard Jagels at Woodenboat Mag. A few issues back he wrote in great detail about the health risks. Can"t find my copy to give the issue #, sorry.

Found it,--June 2011 issue, Wood Technology--Health Hazards of Boatbuilding Woods.
Old 31-05-2012, 13:22   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
..........wood and its affects upon people when particulated(sawn ,sanded) ..............
Although rare, it does happen. As a professional woodworker that has worked with just about every 'exotic wood' there is, you wont know if you are going to have an alergic reaction until you work with it - unprotected.
Usually all that is necessary is a paper respirator or sometimes called a dust mask.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 20:14   #13

Boat: custom 43

two of the best woods available here on the Rio Dulce are chico sapote and jocote fraile. i have both in my shop. get a hold of me. casey
Casey Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Guatemala, guatemala