Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2008, 12:58   #1

Boat: Coronado 30 - Lady Eliza
bent stanchion

One of my lifeline stanchions is bent in a few degrees. It is a BAD IDEA to just bend it back while it is mounted to the boat right? I still don't have a good feel for the strength of fiberglass and feel like this would be bad for the deck... I thought I should remove it, find something solid to wedge it on and bend it out and reinstall- but then thought "its not THAT bent"...

Thanks,
J
Old 05-09-2008, 13:07   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Well, if you can find something like a big pipe wrench to immobilize the base while bending the top back, so it doesn't put more stress on the deck...

You'd still be better off removing it and reworking it. The bend may or may not pop out, if it is small you may just want to ignore it or look into a replacement (used from a chandlery like Sailorman) instead of the $75? $100? to replace it. I'm sure the average stainless shop would charge as much to straighten it (if it needed more than just bending) as replacing it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 13:09   #3

Boat: Coronado 30 - Lady Eliza
Does weld bend? The tube does not look bent- I think it bent at the mount itself... Like it comes off the deck crooked.

Unless somebody has a an "ah ha" suggestion I will certainly just live with it for now.
Old 05-09-2008, 13:42   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Unless somebody has a an "ah ha" suggestion I will certainly just live with it for now.
If you can live with it, I would not try to just bend it back. You really can't do that while it is attached to the boat. Just make sure you don't already have a leak. If it leaks then it has to come off to be re bedded and at that point you could straighten it, but don't do that while it is attached. The weld might be stronger than the fiberglass. That would be very bad.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 13:59   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Instead of all that work, I would replace it and do things right. Metal is never as strong the second time you bend it plus you will never be able to get it exactly straight again. Replacement stanchions are cheap enough as well.

Check for watertight integrity around your stanchion base.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 14:54   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Put it on the "to do" list...

I'd suggest putting it on the "to do" list.

A little research is needed to find and cost a replacement or if it can be straightened/rewelded.

Those really neat welds can be very thin.

A cantilevered stainless staunchion can put an enormous load on the fibreglass deck so it will almost certainly need to be removed for repair.

An of course you may need to address the reason why it got bent in the first place.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 19:34   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Long View Post
.....I still don't have a good feel for the strength of fiberglass and feel like this would be bad for the deck......
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
...Metal is never as strong the second time you bend it plus you will never be able to get it exactly straight again........Check for watertight integrity around your stanchion base.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I'd suggest putting it on the "to do" list.....
A cantilevered stainless staunchion can put an enormous load on the fibreglass deck so it will almost certainly need to be removed for repair.
As David says, the staunchion will NEVER be as strong and NEVER be exactly straight especially stainless due to the initial work harding when it first bent to say nothing of the re-bending attempt.

As to the deck, it has already been stressed when the staunchion was bent initially. Either don't worry about stressing it again or worry about the first stress consequences.

IMHO, either follow Boracay's advice and put it on the "to list" or rip it of now, check out the deck (and repair if necessary) and plonk a new staunchion on.

One way is easy, the other keeps everything "All Bristol and Shipshape fashion".
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 00:13   #8

Boat: none
It would take very little shim to correct the lean. Shim it.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:22   #9

Boat: Liberty 28 Custom Cutter - "Native Dancer" For Sale
Pull it and straighten it if the bend warrants it. I'd be much more concerned about the weld at the bottom of the stanchion, assuming it has one. Lifeline stanchions are meant to bend when shock-loaded. Much better than snapping off entirely. Tis the nature of the beast.
Liberty28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:36   #10

Boat: Beneteau 473
Post a photo. I'm sure there will be better suggestions once we can see the extent and nature of the problem.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:29   #11

Boat: Farr37 - Southern Cross
I've got a couple of bent stanchions from the spinnaker brace which I have taken to a fabricator to get fixed - along with a couple of bases that need to be re welded.... While I'm at it I am getting all the other stanchions re polished & replacing all the old plastic coated wire and will re-bed and re-fasten all the other bases...

Will be interested to see how he goes straigtening them - fabricator said it will be no problem fixing. Would have bought new ones - but unfortunately they are nice tapered Ronstan ones that cost a bomb.... The cheapies have the hole for the lower lifeline in a different place.

Was interesting to see that each stanchion had a slight bend so it stood vertically.
Spirit28 is offline   Reply With Quote