Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-10-2014, 10:07   #46

Boat: Hurley Alacrity
Re: Bent Mast Repair

Are you planning on shortening your new mast?

Since you are planning on going the "cheap" route (not criticizing, that's what I'd be doing too in your situation) I'd seriously consider removing everything attached, cutting it to length and swapping over all of the hardware from your bent mast and call it done. If you feel it heels a bit too much toss some window sash weights into your bilge and enjoy it for what you have.

In regards to your old mast, how I would have gone about the repair would have been to contact the manufacturer to find the alloy first, then figure out what heat temp and time you needed to anneal/stress relieve the bent section and then heat the concerned area to that temp. If you've never done this it is pretty simple, the main thing is to protect it from drafts while heating so stick the end into a garage on some sawhorses. Anyway, a propane torch will work temp wise but might be too small in terms of heat output, so either use a pair of torches or something larger like a turkey fryer. Now to measure the temp there are a couple ways to do that. The best/established practice is to buy a "temperature indicating crayon" the main brand for them is Tempilstik but a quick search shows others out there too. You buy one in the heat range you need. Then you mark your areas and heat it, when the crayon melts you are there. If you have an extra helper, an IR thermometer is less than $20 nowadays and a whole lot more useful after you've repaired your mast but you'll find that temp control on aluminum is pretty er, "dynamic" so you would have to heat a localized spot then move over after it is hot and the person holding the thermometer informs you.

The last and least reliable way IMHO is something that I have been told and have never tried but that Sharpie markers will vaporize/burn off around annealing temperature so if nothing else is available you can use a Sharpie to give you an idea how much heat is enough. I hesitate to recommend this when much better options are easily available but I am including it in case someone in the future trying to repair their mast in some far off locale does a search and finds this thread and truly does not have any other options at their disposal.

Anyway, once the kink is annealed I would not go through the hassle of sleeving a small mast used in fresh water, I would get a 18" or so section of 3/16 X 1" angle iron and tap a line of holes every 3-4" in it and drill corresponding holes in the mast and bolt it across where your kink was. I suspect you would only need to do it on the inside of the bend. Radius, chamfer and polish every sharp angle, edge, and corner then primer and paint with a few coats. Or you could get it powder coated but I'm trying to be cheap here. Then just slide it into place inside your mast and bolt it in. I'd personally use some epoxy on the outside and lay a thick bead of silicone on the inside to prevent any halyard chafing on the exposed ends or the protruding bolts I suppose you could also use 5200 or similar for both sides . Also, I wouldn't use bolts but more properly a "truss head machine screw" as fasteners. Would look cleaner and nothing to snag on.

Anyway, apologies for the late reply but hopefully it might be able to help someone else at some point in time.

Old 10-10-2014, 13:29   #47

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

I am going to cut 4 feet off of it, thereby immediately dropping 15% of its weight. Bent mast has no spreaders, so I'll lose some weight there during this conversion. No need for cleats, all lines run aft through hardware not attached to the mast.

I didn't load it where I bought it. I just didn't realize how much heavier it was until I unloaded at my home and it surprised me.

The more I think about it, the more I think it will do the job. When I strip it of its hardware I will know more.

Old 10-10-2014, 23:01   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
I took possesion of my new mast today and made the sketchy, possibly dangerous, most likely illegal 4.5 hour drive back with a 26' long piece of metal strapped to my suv.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
He he.... You're my long lost brother..... I certainly would have put two red flags on it to display my concern for the motor vehicle codes... But NEVER comply when veiled opportunity trumps compliance...

Quote:
Update... Upon closer comparison, I'm concerned with the weight of the new mast. It is much heavier, in its current state(loaded with hardware, shrouds, spreaders, cleats and all that), than my bent one. It is the same width, 1.25 inches larger in the depth measurement and 4 feet longer.

I'm hoping to strip all the unnecessary hardware off this weekend, much of it will not be needed for my boat, and compare the weights again. I'm hoping it lightens up considerably. I knew it would be heavier, but not that much heavier.

If not, I'll be shopping for a mast, again. And possibly a mastless boat to go with the rig I just bought, or, reluctantly, selling the rig.
Quote:
I am going to cut 4 feet off of it, thereby immediately dropping 15% of its weight. Bent mast has no spreaders, so I'll lose some weight there during this conversion. No need for cleats, all lines run aft through hardware not attached to the mast.

I didn't load it where I bought it. I just didn't realize how much heavier it was until I unloaded at my home and it surprised me.

The more I think about it, the more I think it will do the job. When I strip it of its hardware I will know more.
Just realize that all this extra weight of the stick is NOT... at the masthead... it's proportional, and linear...

What are the weights of the sticks/w gear, and what make/ballast/keel weight are we talking?

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:39   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
He he.... You're my long lost brother..... I certainly would have put two red flags on it to display my concern for the motor vehicle codes... But NEVER comply when veiled opportunity trumps compliance...

Just realize that all this extra weight of the stick is NOT... at the masthead... it's proportional, and linear...

What are the weights of the sticks/w gear, and what make/ballast/keel weight are we talking?
I used orange flags, cut from an ugly orange blanket used to keep the dog hair off my truck's seats. I passed and went unharrassed by enough law enforcement that I think I may have been within the laws of the road. Which surpised me, I thought for sure I looked insane with that on my car.

The boat is an MFG bandit 15, no ballast. I have no easy way of getting accurate total weights, just going by feel, and I would say the new rig is twice as heavy right now, with all its extra hardware. I think I have some fish scales that I could use to get weight differential of each mast at the masthead with the other end on the ground. That's about the most information I can get with what is available to me.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:44   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
I used orange flags, cut from an ugly orange blanket used to keep the dog hair off my truck's seats. I passed and went unharrassed by enough law enforcement that I think I may have been within the laws of the road. Which surpised me, I thought for sure I looked insane with that on my car.

He He... Sounds like the time I was trying to determine whether or not to install a trailer brake controller in my truck for the load I packed... Test run at 0100 saw me approaching a light that turned red about 20 mph... truck brakes locked up... Screeching through the intersection honking the horn madly... There happened to be Mr. Black and White sitting at the now green for him crossing light watching the whole slow motion train wreck... All I got outta him was the back and forth shaking of his head before he drove off...

The boat is an MFG bandit 15, no ballast. I have no easy way of getting accurate total weights, just going by feel, and I would say the new rig is twice as heavy right now, with all its extra hardware. I think I have some fish scales that I could use to get weight differential of each mast at the masthead with the other end on the ground. That's about the most information I can get with what is available to me.

Sweet boat model name huh?!?!? You need to name her Johnny Quest!

Wowsa... just read the sailboat data on it... Displacement 290 lb huh???
Well.... Here would be my game plan...

Strip the mast and get some weights like yer doin' . Fish scale with the other end on a bath scale, or 2 hanging fish scales? This way you have some data to work with if you need to balance this stick better...

Stick the rig on and see how tender she is without canvas... Try and roll her back and forth if you get some initial stability...

If she's tippy, here... or if she isn't but tender under sail... Pull the board and make a new one outta a steel plate sandwiched in marine ply and glass... You can't really need that much weight at all... 50-75 lb? Still easy enough to raise the board with minimal tackle???

------------------------------

Old 13-10-2014, 03:35   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

Quote:
I used orange flags, cut from an ugly orange blanket used to keep the dog hair off my truck's seats.
We had a team of 8 guys go to the King's Cup race in Phuket a couple of years ago and shared a charter boat for the charter boat class.

Among all the crap brought was like 5 iPads, phones, binoculars, hand held wind gauges etc...

On day one we had a "protest" opportunity and, of course, no one had a flag. We lost the protest (I went to committee missing out on beers on the beach) and we lost due to an "improperly" formed protest. No flag.

So I went in search of a flag - to no avail. I ended up buying a pair of red panties from a street vendor. Of course I took a large amount of crap from the crew when I showed up with our new protest flag.

Until day 3 or 4 when we made our second protest!

I am sure had the committee been made aware of the nature of our flag we would have gotten an "A" for effort (and humor) but probably would have lost the protest for an incorrect flag...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 15:48   #52

With warmer weather near and myself finally able to overcome my winter laziness, I started working on this project again. I stripped the new mast of all its hardware an took it to the machine shop to be shortened and have the slots for the internal halyards cut out.

My concerns about the weight were for nothing as the new mast was much lighter without all the old hardware and rigging.

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1425851166786.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	98519   Click image for larger version

Name:	1425851236858.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	98520  

Name:	1425851261272.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	98521  
Old 21-03-2015, 15:06   #53

Finished. Next mission, sail it.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1426971927127.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	99131   Click image for larger version

Name:	1426971954744.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	99132  

Old 03-04-2015, 08:57   #54

Finally got to sail this boat yesterday. Took it and our 420 to the lake.

I'm extremely pleased with it. Winds were forecast to be 16-19, which felt about right. It might be a few hundredths of a knot slower than the 420, but they're both fast little boats. My wife and I will be racing the two boats against each other and it will come down to who makes the least mistakes.

New, long, list of things to fix...
-Tiller, broke the end right off it, looks like a 48 year old piece of cedar.
-buy and install auto bailers, on plane it gets a lot of water past the cb seal. Holes are already there, just covered with plexiglass, sealed with caulk.
-main doesn't feed well into the new mast, need some kind of feeder. Perhaps the one off the old stick will work.
-lower gooseneck track. My main was wrinkly.
-various small blocks need replacing
-new lines. All of them

Old 10-05-2016, 07:37   #55

Well, I'm this close** to buying another boat with a damaged mast. Hopefully finding a mast and putting a rig together go as well or better than the previous boat in this thread.

*holds up thumb and forefinger with very little space between them thereby indicating very close*

Old 10-05-2016, 07:50   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, I'm this close** to buying another boat with a damaged mast. Hopefully finding a mast and putting a rig together go as well or better than the previous boat in this thread.

*holds up thumb and forefinger with very little space between them thereby indicating very close*

I have this section of mast available if it helps you at all... 5-1/2"x10-1/2" x about 32" length... very reasonable...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mast section stub 1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	124044  

Old 10-05-2016, 10:10   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
I have this section of mast available if it helps you at all... 5-1/2"x10-1/2" x about 32" length... very reasonable...

With holes pre drilled!!! Half of the labor is done!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-05-2016, 16:07   #58

False alarm. Wife talked me out of buying the boat. She used, you know, logic and reason on me.

Old 10-05-2016, 20:02   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
False alarm. Wife talked me out of buying the boat. She used, you know, logic and reason on me.

HOLY CRAP...

EMERGENCY guys meeting here @ 0730 EST tomorrow ...

: 0)P
Old 10-05-2016, 20:06   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
With holes pre drilled!!! Half of the labor is done!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
It's a secret treasure map... If you stick a candle inside, the light beams shining out reveal the clues...

You should buy it...

Tags
mast

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: