Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2010, 12:23   #1

Boat: Sweden Yachts 34
Bending T-Track

Am helping out with a project boat (old IOR racer) that has 1 1/4 inch T track, curved to match the angle of the deck edge. It's pretty chewed up and needs to be replaced. If the track was just bolted tothe deck we would replace with straight track, but it is on raised molded upstands, so the new track needs to be curved to match the old one. Anyone have experience in bending T track like this?

Neil
timberboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 13:05   #2

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Stainless? machine shop....
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 19:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberboat View Post
Am helping out with a project boat (old IOR racer) that has 1 1/4 inch T track, curved to match the angle of the deck edge. It's pretty chewed up and needs to be replaced. If the track was just bolted tothe deck we would replace with straight track, but it is on raised molded upstands, so the new track needs to be curved to match the old one. Anyone have experience in bending T track like this?

Neil
Hello Neil,
Depends on the amount of curve required and on the width along the top of the "T" (The wider, the more difficult to bend) - also look for track that has fixing holes close together. Stainless without heat very difficult.

One technique is to take off the old track >> place it on piece of iron plate >> then mark the positions of the fixing holes on the iron plate >> then drill holes through the marked positions >> then bolt the old track down to the plate>> then bring new track alongside the old, bending it and fixing it - inch by inch.

Another technique is to insert the new track into a steel pipe (tubing) then insert the pipe into a pipe bending roller (not a tight fit, otherwise you won't get the track out)

An alternative to "T" section would be "I" Section ; in aluminium - this is easier to keep flat when bending.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 19:32   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
When I did this on my J, the curve was a 'frown' which I'm assuming yours is as well. If it's a slight curve, just start bolting in the middle then work outward alternating sides (the first on from the middle on the port side, then the first from the middle on starboard, then the second from the middle on the port again and so on). I had someone push down a little from above to help with the bend, but it conformed to the hull pretty easily. Once you get all the bolts tight, go back and tighten them all up once more- no bending tools required.

Hope this helps- if I've misunderstood the problem, I'm sure someone else will be able to help you out.

Jeff
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 21:49   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I replaced the 8' SS track on my caprail with 1 1/4" aluminum track. Something less than a foot of curve from front to back. We just did it one bolt at a time working from the reasonably straight first couple of feet to the rear where the curve was greater. Never a problem.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote