Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2013, 21:01   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35
Re: Battens Fouling Lazy Jacks When Raising the Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f View Post
The same issue exists for partly battened mains. Sometimes it even worse since the roach can flop around independent of the main in light winds.

The main thing to consider is that for the most part, battens are there to support an extended roach. Extended roaches are a way of gaining extra sail area without violating any racing rules. If you don't race constantly, you don't need the roach or the battens (or the headboard really).
No battens = no snagging.

You're right about the marine environment. We put up with finicky gear designed specifically for racers and accept it as the norm. We put up with electronics designed for coastal cruising (because there will always be a repair depot close by) and complain when it fails in some atoll in the south Pacific.

I would think cruisers would want to simplify their boats by using things like battenless mains and high clewed jibs (for visibility and less water scooping).

Lazy jacks work great on a battenless main and you don't have to move them. Talk to your sailmaker.
Actually racing rules take into account sail area so extra roach is not free area. Without battens you can't have roach, but you also can't even have a straight leech, it needs to have a substantial hollow. With a batten less main you are losing between 15-20% area compared to a battened main with a straight leech (no roach). With battens your Dacron cruising sail will also hold its shape a lot longer. If your no to worried about windward performance and losing some sail area then a batten less main might be good idea.
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 22:10   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrawcliffe View Post
I have a fully battened main on my Westerly Tempest, the problem I have is that unless she is right up to the wind the ends of the battens get fouled in my lazy jacks. This is a major pain as it means partially dropping the main to clear the foul before trying again. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it.

Thanks
Andrew...
Tight lazy jacks will give you more trouble than loose. If your jacks are supporting the weight of the boom, a partial fix would be to use a topping lift or rigid vang while hoisting the main so that the lazy jacks can be loosened prior to the hoist.
Old 21-05-2013, 00:19   #18

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrahl View Post
If your no to worried about windward performance and losing some sail area then a batten less main might be good idea.
I have a battenless main and no lazy jacks and I hate it! I can hardly get my sail folded when wind is over BF3, 4 and with more wind the sail threatens to throw my overboard on occasion. Lazy jacks are being installed in the next month or so as I had great experience with them on a Baltic 42 and after discussions with the North Sails expert we decided to go for a fully battened main as well. Surely if we design the lazyjacks with the new sail shape in mind, it should be easy to avoid fouling.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 00:48   #19

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

yeah, i got a new fully battened main recently, same problem, already second nature to keep an eye on the main as it goes up, give the battens a quick flick as they go past the jacks. I dont find it a problem.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 00:50   #20

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

I was looking up at the main yesterday, admiring a thing of beauty - realised the mid upper batten lines up perfectly with the crosstrees - pure coincidence, very elegant...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 07:57   #21

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

I have owned boats with a gaff rig/lazy jacks, a Marconi main with no roach, full batten main with lazy jacks, and crew on a boat with partial batten main with lazy jacks.

That extra roach is not just for racers. It gives a lot of extra area/drive on a reach or down wind.

Battens will catch on lazy jacks, topping lifts, aft shrouds, running back stays, and extra halyards tied to the rail. (please refrain from snarky comments about the extra halyard. It happens)

As Wanderlust says: Watch the luff of the main as you hoist, don't be in a hurry, and hoist at the right moment for the batten to clear whatever obstruction it needs to clear.
If the lazy jacks are secured lower down on the mast (about 2/3 of the way up is usual) The sail will clear the lazy jacks sooner. The closer the aft line of the lazy jacks is to the mast, the sooner the battens will clear.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote