Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2016, 10:34   #1

Barient Winch - Looking for a replacement roller bearing

Hello all,
I am restoring a Barient 36 self tailing, two speed winch. One of the main roller bearings has collapsed (the pins no longer secure to the holding rings) and two rollers are lost. I am now trying to find a replacement roller bearing.

The roller bearing is all metal: stainless steel rollers and pins and other metal (bronze?) holding rings. The dimensions are I/D 1 7/8"; O/D 2 1/8" and height 1 5/8". I believe it may be known as a 00422 bearing.

I have tried winchspares.com, Minney's Yacht Surplus and Hutton Winches. Hutton is the only one to say they have something - but it is a slightly different length and will require a modification of the sleeve.

Does anyone have any other leads on where I can find a replacement roller bearing? I'm hoping there is a winch-graveyard somewhere that winches go to rest and I can give new life to a bearing... any ideas?!

Thank you for your help!
Slipstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 11:24   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Barient Winch - Looking for a replacement roller bearing

I buy such bearings from wholesales bearing suppliers. There tend to be at least one in any major industrial area.

Search your yellow pages. Or else google for the bearing style and your area. something should pop up. Then call them up and ask for the specs you need.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 12:04   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Try HUTTON-ARCO Yacht Winches they're in Australia, & have most of the tooling to make parts for the Barient's. If they don't have them in stock that is.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 16:07   #4

@Uncivilized - thanks for the suggestion. I had already tried Hutton (as noted) but they only had a different size.

@Barnakeil - thanks for the lead. I have found a helpful bearing supply near me in the San Francisco Bay area and they are trying to confirm a source.

Thanks to all who make this a great forum!

P.S. I may have a reconditioned Barient 36 self-tailing two-speed winch for sale soon!
Slipstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:16   #5

Boat: 1974 Cal 29

Any updates on this? I am about to service my Barient 36s as well and suspect at least one of them will need new bearings.
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:45   #6

Boat: 47' Cutter

Hi All,

I am also servicing our old Barient winches and need new bearings. If anyone has found a supplier other than Arco/Hutton please share. Ideally I need one in the UK.

Thanks and fair winds,

MooseMarine
MooseMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:26   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch

I had to find bearings for an electric self tailing Barient that was out of production. I found a used manual non self tailing that had the same diameter shaft and good bearings at a used marine supply. I can't remember now but after dickering I think it cost me USD 50. They had dozens of old winches.

Cheaper than a new winch.

Just an idea, YRMV.
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 17:30   #8

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I just came across this old thread and I'm resurrecting it because whenever I've needed a new bearing I take note of the number stamped on the bearing case and order one from a bearing supplier. I would be astonished if Hutton, Barient, Lewmar, Makita, Muir had a bearing manufactured exclusively just for their gear!

If the number wasn't stamped on the bearing I would measure the OD, ID, Depth of the bearing and then go to the Online Suppliers Catalog to find the bearing I want.

I've found Simply Bearings brilliant for my bearings and seals.
https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/

https://www.vxb.com/SKF-Bearings-s/2...BoCIkgQAvD_BwE
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barient, men, winch