Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2014, 09:10   #1

Boat: Seafarer Newport Yawl 31'2"
Barient Electric Winches

Having difficulties on my friend's Littlde Harbor.
The Barient winches are disengaging under light loads.
Is there a method of mounting them to provide more torque?
GrahamMatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 13:03   #2

Re: Barient Electric Winches

There is a mechanical engagement from the motor to the winch.
Should a winch handle be placed in it would cause this portion to disengage. The star gear at the base of the winch retracts up and away.
This occurs under load also.

How do I prevent this occurring all the time under moderate loads.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:32   #3

Could it be caused by the mounting holes becoming elongated?
Old 06-12-2014, 12:18   #4

Boat: 58' roberts ketch

HI;
I have electric barients and havent had this problem. If your mounting holes are elongated (winch base can move) the alignment of the star gear may be a problem. Also check the rod in the winch socket is moving all the way up and down freely, it should return to near flush with the top when you remove the winch handle (allowing the drive gear to engage). Have you checked that the motor is securely fastened down below? Last likely possible is that the motor/winch gear that disengages is damaged or stripped.
Good luck
Dan
Nautical 60 RESPITE
dglaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:49   #5

Dan,
Thank you for your I put. All these points you mention are very valid.
It seems that in this particular case the winch was mounted conservatively as far as engagement goes.
We intend to lengthen the rod socket by just 1/4" and this should curtail the issue. Considering it's age the gears are pristine perhaps because it would only tolerate light useage before jumping out of gear.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:46   #6

Boat: 58' roberts ketch

As I recall, the "engagement" portion of the gearing is the top of the cup shaped star gear and isnt much (perhaps 1/2") if the spring were weak or broken, or its bore filled with grease, that could be an issue with insufficient travel, as well as improper installation of the cotter key. I believe the shaft has a boss the gear fits on, then a flat washer, and a small cotter key that must be installed flat in the base of the star gear to hold it all together. I would think SHORTENING the rod (remachine the step upwards, redrill cotter hole, and trim off end would be the process I think), but I would look for an obstruction inside the spindle keeping its travel limited first off, or a burr or something on the rod that is keeping it from traveling upwards. Its been a bit since I was inside one, but I am installing a few in a month, and will check if I recall correctly. Also, is it possible an extra spacer washer is under the spindle, holding it up out of full engagement range?
I once had 2 lewmar 65's serviced by a "professional"immediately before departing. When I went to use them, neither spindle would turn. Upon dismantling and figuring out at sea, it turned out he had made a different mistake in each winch with spacers and gears. That was fun to diagnose without a diagram.....

Good luck
Dan
dglaab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barient, electric, winch