Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2016, 20:02   #16
Registered User
 
Terra Nova's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, California
Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Posts: 3,284
Re: Backstay to Bimini frame frame concern.

Anything is possible when you don't know what you're doing.
__________________

__________________
1st rule of yachting: When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
"whatever spare parts you bring, you'll never need"--goboatingnow
"Id rather drown than have computers take over my life."--d design
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 20:10   #17
Registered User

Join Date: May 2014
Location: USA
Boat: 41' yawl
Posts: 483
Re: Backstay to Bimini frame frame concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Anything is possible when you don't know what you're doing.
__________________

__________________
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2016, 21:02   #18
Registered User
 
ErikFinn's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Malaysia, Thailand
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Posts: 654
Re: Backstay to Bimini frame frame concern.

I suggested something similar and was pretty much shot down..

Mounting double backstays to the davits instead of hull transom?

I guess there must be a reason why we do not see this kind of set ups. And there is a reason why you see the stays pierce the bimini sunbrella..
__________________
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 07:49   #19
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Ontario
Boat: Douglas 32 Mk II
Posts: 852
Re: Backstay to Bimini frame frame concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
I suggested something similar and was pretty much shot down..

Mounting double backstays to the davits instead of hull transom?

I guess there must be a reason why we do not see this kind of set ups. And there is a reason why you see the stays pierce the bimini sunbrella..
Every (modern) Hunter sailboat has no back stay (B&R rig) with the mainsheet connected to the arch. Not that Hunter's are the best built boat on the planet, but I've never heard of one having the arch ripped off.

Why do most backstays go through the bimini skin?

Look at it from the perspective of the bimini fabricator and customer.

Option A - Bimini Skin

1. Cut holes. 2 minutes
2. Add boots. $5 parts, 13 minutes.

$5 parts, 15 minutes labour, add $50 to the price. Bimini fabricator makes a decent wage and profit.

Option B - Bimini Mounted Backstay

1. Review vessel design. 15 minutes
2. Beef up bimini attachment points. $100 parts, 6 hours labour.
3. Fabricate bimini bow with welded back stay and vessel attachment points (rather then set screw fittings). $250 to SS welding shop.
4. Limit bimini bow design to be in-line with backstay. No cost, but PITA.

$100 parts, $250 sub-contract welding, 6 hours, add $2000 to price.

99.99% of prospective customers will opt for the $50 option vs the $2000 option, as rain leaks in all biminis and enclosures from somewhere anyway.
__________________
Rod Brandon
Sheen Marine
ramblinrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 12:38   #20
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lake Ontario
Boat: Douglas 32 Mk II
Posts: 852
Re: Backstay to Bimini frame frame concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Every (modern) Hunter sailboat has no back stay (B&R rig) with the mainsheet connected to the arch. Not that Hunter's are the best built boat on the planet, but I've never heard of one having the arch ripped off.

Why do most backstays go through the bimini skin?

Look at it from the perspective of the bimini fabricator and customer.

Option A - Bimini Skin

1. Cut holes. 2 minutes
2. Add boots. $5 parts, 13 minutes.

$5 parts, 15 minutes labour, add $50 to the price. Bimini fabricator makes a decent wage and profit.

Option B - Bimini Mounted Backstay

1. Review vessel design. 15 minutes
2. Beef up bimini attachment points. $100 parts, 6 hours labour.
3. Fabricate bimini bow with welded back stay and vessel attachment points (rather then set screw fittings). $250 to SS welding shop.
4. Limit bimini bow design to be in-line with backstay. No cost, but PITA.

$100 parts, $250 sub-contract welding, 6 hours, add $2000 to price.

99.99% of prospective customers will opt for the $50 option vs the $2000 option, as rain leaks in all biminis and enclosures from somewhere anyway.
Whoops, forgot the cost of modifying the length of the backstay for option B. If already double or split, add $50 to shorten and add new terminal. If originally single, add about $200 to make split, and another $200 to make running (if desired).
__________________

__________________
Rod Brandon
Sheen Marine
ramblinrod is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bimini

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
backstay HF antenna and split backstay Jd1 Marine Electronics 21 18-03-2015 09:26
Custom bimini and frame chris95040 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 3 10-08-2014 15:52
For Sale: Stainless Steel Bimini Frame Plukky Classifieds Archive 1 13-06-2011 18:50
PVC Bimini Frame Jack Long Construction, Maintenance & Refit 31 08-12-2009 07:59


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:25.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.