Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2017, 08:20   #1

Boat: Najad 373
Attaching mainsail to Selden cars?

I just got my new full-batten mainsail delivered... I discovered that the distance from the eyelet to the Selden car is greater than for my old mainsail, so I cannot use the existing shackles to connect it to the cars. Pics attached show old mainsail, and zoom on shackle.

I have been thinking of various options in order to connect the mainsail to the cars:
1 - longer shackle: strong, but I haven't found a longer one of the same type so far, or one with headless screw (so as to avoid chafing when sail is down) without being oversized
2 - textile shackle: is there a model that would not risk opening, as tension will not be permanent on it?
3 - textile band (as used on old mainsail at batten connector only): what fabric to use (type, strength, 2-ply as in old one)? any particular point to focus on when sewing?

Pros/cons of these options? What's your recommendation?

Many thanks for your input - I cant wait to try the new sails when the boat will get into the water
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 mainsail cars binding.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	146450   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 shackle.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	146451  

Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:32   #2

Re: Attaching mainsail to Selden cars?

I was hoping for some hints on what is best. It may not be a sexy topic, yet thought some would have much experience with such specific topic. I'll continue searching on the web, but feel fee to share your insights...
Thanks!
Old 03-05-2017, 07:28   #3

Boat: Able 50

You don't show pics of the new sail so I'll have to guess . . . . . It looks like you will have to sew the luff grommets to the cars in similar manner to the old sail. I can't be sure of the size but it looks like 3/4" tape would do and certainly no smaller than 1/2". You can buy polyester tape from Sail Rite or ask your local sail maker who will probably charge a little more.

Sailrite - Fabric, Canvas, and Sewing Machines Since 1969

To complete the task you need needles, a palm and some thin waxed twine. The job is easy although a little slow because it isn't something you do every day. Pull apart one of the old sewn loops and copy that. The tape will have been cut into lengths of something like 6" and sewn into loops.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:56   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

There are multiple methods in common use:
- Shackles (as shown)
- Webbing, Sewn (as shown)
- Lashings

The most important thing is to make sure that all of them are the same length once installed, in order to prevent jamming problems during the hoist or drop.

For the webbing variety, I've used 3/4" tubular webbing in the past with good success. And lashings using small diameter cordage is a fairly easy way to go. One which if the lashings prove to be a bit too short, or long, they're easy to fix.

There's some info on all of these in the Dashew's books, free for download at www.setsail.com And you can talk to most any sail loft about tips on how to make the connections/connectors. Or even hire the job out.

EDIT: There's a catch with shackles, & that is, if/when you're using long ones, if there's much play in the system, then they can kink/get jammed in between the sail & cars. So you want the jaws of the shackle to fit pretty tightly onto the sail.

Also, to that end, some people/lofts will add anti-chafe pieces around the sail's grommets, made of leather or cloth. Which, they also serve to thicken up the leading edge of the sail enough that the shackles have a good friction fit.

It also sounds like you'd benefit from having a few books on sailmaking, & canvas work around. Such as The Sailmaker's Apprentice, plus a few others which titles can be suggested, needs be.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 23:51   #5

@Savoir, many thanks for the link. It clarifies the type of fabrics, I looked into sailrite's site, they have a wealth of info and how-to's videos - many thanks for this, quick learning for me!
Old 04-05-2017, 23:58   #6

Uncivilized, many thanks for your hints. I did not imagine lashings would be feasible on a larger mainsail (~35sqm), good idea though - I like the ease of adjustability/repairability. I'll check with local loft, as the sailmaker is not answering (probably travelling as he had always been of great advice so far).

Re. books, I've read/learnt a lot, mostly suggested by others on CF. I just downloaded Dashew's, many thanks for the hint there and a wealth of no-non-sense, practical stuff!

For yourself and related to one of your latest posts, I thought of the French bible on sailing called le cours des Glénans which could help you with French vocabulary.

Thanks again, I see much clearer what my next steps are!
Old 05-05-2017, 01:34   #7

Boat: Able 50

The fabric you want is polyester.

DON'T USE NYLON ! ! !
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:44   #8

Thanks. Just got the answer from the sailmaker and he also suggests 3/4mm braid. I have some dyneema of 3mm so I think that should do it well

Tags
mainsail, sail