Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 02:15   #1

Attaching a spinnaker pole to mast - when NO track on front of mast?

10 meter heavy displacement steel-hulled cruiser.
Has a symmetrical spinnaker that I have never flown.
One reason is that there is no track on the front of the mast to attach the spinnaker pole.

Are the (simple) method(s) to using a spinnaker pole with no mast-track?

My experience of spinnakers is limited to other peoples small trailer-sailors. --- meaning getting yelled at when things go wrong, as they do.

I obviously know little about spinnakers, knowing absolutely that I MUST get that thing down before the apparent wind gets into the early 'teens.

Suggestions / comments questions welcomed.

( be gentle - I do realise what I'm suggesting could lead to a world of pain. I'm looking at down wind sailing to a place with good resources , riggers , sail lofts chandlers)
SteelCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:35   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Attaching a spinnaker pole to mast - when NO track on front of mast?

There are two common ways to attach a spinnaker to a mast:

1. A track
2. An eye or ring attached directly to the front of the mast.

If you don't have a track, do you have an eye/ring? (Possibly mounted about chest height or a bit above when standing at the mast - based on your 10m length)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:50   #3

No
Nothing on front of mast
I've considered tying a loop of spectra - with an eye - around the mast at the correct height ( passing between sail slides )

knowing "the correct height" changes and is thus problematic
SteelCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:06   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I would not consider the Dynema loop. Anything that adds instability to t he system (and a poorly fixed inboard end for the pole would do t hat) will make your life harder when deploying and flying the kite.

So, for starters, I'd buy and install a proper eye fitting, designed for the job. All of the major hardware manufacturers have such fittings in their catalogs. make sure that the o ne you select is big enough for the end fitting on the pole. The height isn't too critical for the sort of usage you propose, so make it a convenient height for engaging the pole. Once you have mastered the basics, you may want to add a track and adjustable inboard car, allowing you to fine tune spinnaker trim, and you can always do that when the time comes.

You don't mention having a sock for the kite. While not really necessary, a sock (or snuffer or whatever the current lingo calls these items) makes the learning curve a lot less daunting IMO. Knowing that you can get rid of the sail fairly quickly if things go pear shaped gives one more confidence in putting it up!

Good luck with the project -- having a sail for down wind in lighter airs is both satisfying and fuel saving!

Jim
Old 09-01-2016, 13:29   #5

Sounds like a half finished project by PO.
You might try using the spin like an assymetrical for the fun of it. Shackle the tack to the bow and run a sheet to an aft winch. Not perfect but have done it once or twice.

Btw check the foot of the mast for an eye. Not the right place but might work.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 17:01   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I would not consider the Dynema loop. Anything that adds instability to t he system (and a poorly fixed inboard end for the pole would do t hat) will make your life harder when deploying and flying the kite.

So, for starters, I'd buy and install a proper eye fitting, designed for the job. All of the major hardware manufacturers have such fittings in their catalogs. make sure that the o ne you select is big enough for the end fitting on the pole. The height isn't too critical for the sort of usage you propose, so make it a convenient height for engaging the pole. Once you have mastered the basics, you may want to add a track and adjustable inboard car, allowing you to fine tune spinnaker trim, and you can always do that when the time comes.

You don't mention having a sock for the kite. While not really necessary, a sock (or snuffer or whatever the current lingo calls these items) makes the learning curve a lot less daunting IMO. Knowing that you can get rid of the sail fairly quickly if things go pear shaped gives one more confidence in putting it up!

Good luck with the project -- having a sail for down wind in lighter airs is both satisfying and fuel saving!

Jim
Wot 'e said!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:17   #7

Since you mention you have limited familiarity with chutes, here's a tip that will always help, no matter what may be going wrong. When you're having a problem, sail down. Get the apparent wind somewhere between 150 and 170 degrees ( but be careful not to gybe!). This will reduce the apparent wind speed- always a good thing when having a spinnaker problem- and will also reposition it so that part of it will be blanketed by the main. Set it low, douse it low, and have the helsman bear off if there's an issue, and you are likely to have fewer problems.
PHRF57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:44   #8

Eye ring attached to the mast, about three feet up from base. Can just lash the eye ring or drill hole in mast to attach ring(be sure to seal hole with silicone.) That is the easiest way. Easier is to use the Spin as a drifter and just attach it like a big jib. You can have it cut so you can avoid the need for a pole. We use to attach two sheets to the base, one for each side, and carry the Spin outboard of the forward stay. With some practice, it will fill and draw nicely downwind. Run your sheets well outboard of all shrouds. We avoided poles at all costs and kept them(two masts) as emergency stumps in case we lost a mast.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:46   #9

Purchase a curved spinnaker boom bail ( -45$ ) and screw in onto the face of the mast at so that it is at the same height as the spinnaker corners when hoisted and flying.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:06   #10

Boat: Shannon 38

I bought a 1978 boat that had the rig replaced (mast, boom and standing rigging) in 2006. The seller referred me to the boatyard that had serviced the boat at that time and they are out of business. I have been unable to learn who manufactured by mast and boom and, like SteelCruiser, I have no eye or track on the front of my mast. How do I go about choosing a ring/eye to mount on my mast?
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:14   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Good advice above. Why not add a track? For your boat size you need only a track, end stops, a car and none of the additional hardware for raising or lowering. We raced a Heritage One-Ton (37 ft) with only a track so that the deck crew moved the mast end car by hand. Wolf's Marine in St Joseph, Michigan has surplus, NOS & overstock parts. You can probably find anything you need. Call & ask. Lots is not shown on their store page.
Home Page
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6684.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	116467  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:34   #12

APS curved spinnaker boom bail sku # 400002. 40$
Old 10-01-2016, 10:37   #13

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Drill and tap your mast for a heavy (1/4 or 3/8) stainless steel eye bolt. Quick, cheap and easy solution. If not comfortable selecting the height fly your sail a few times with a jury rigged mast connection and mark the height best matching the clue. Then install your eye bolt or ask a rigger. Unless you are a racer height of the pole end is not very important. The height that matters is the outside end of your pole.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:40   #14

No eye bolt. Height matters. Why do you think it really should be on a track.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:44   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I just installed a track a week or so ago, nothing to it,and I have about thirty .25" fasteners to spread the load out.
I did it for a whisker pole though, but it is easy work.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, spinnaker