Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 04:18   #16
TEE
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 139
Exclamation Re: asymetrical spinnaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
There is a clear problem with the account described above. Sailors who are still prone to being surprised by the wind are not yet ready to fly a spinnaker short-handed.

There are no exceptions to this rule: the most experienced sailors will virtually never be surprised by a gust. It just doesn't happen. Lovers anticipate moods, fashion designers anticipate trends, mechanics anticipate breakdowns, politicians anticipate shifting priorities, business executive anticipate emerging markets, and sailors anticipate the wind.

Being able to fly a spinnaker is only 5% about having the skills to rig, hoist, and douse a spinnaker. The other 95% of the skill is learning to use the wind rather than fight it. And that means understanding what the wind is planning to do next.

ERRR!!! Excuse me. I recollect the original poster on this thread saying, "he has never had one before." My point is if you never had one before, the worst way to learn how to use one is single handed. I can pretty much guarantee he will be surprised.
__________________

__________________
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 17:06   #17
Moderator
 
cabo_sailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tarpon Springs FL
Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Posts: 1,905
Re: asymetrical spinnaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEE View Post
ERRR!!! Excuse me. I recollect the original poster on this thread saying, "he has never had one before." My point is if you never had one before, the worst way to learn how to use one is single handed. I can pretty much guarantee he will be surprised.
I agree if he tries to fly one in high winds but since they are a light air sail, he won't hurt much learning in 5-10 kts where he would get the most use out of the sail in the first place. The first time I flew one solo the boat was making two knots, I figured what the hey and tried it. Eureka! Boat speed doubled and I found it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Baby steps, that's all.

Rich

Edit: He's also talking about a cruising spinnaker not a conventional spinnaker. The cruising spinnaker is basically a really big genny. No poles needed.
__________________

__________________
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
spinnaker

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asymetrical Spinnaker Dimensions - Young Son 35 Lilrascals Monohull Sailboats 1 14-07-2010 21:59
Spinnaker: Should I Get One ? Steelshooter General Sailing Forum 3 12-04-2010 17:51
Do I Really Need My Spinnaker? Sailabel General Sailing Forum 11 29-05-2009 23:21
Asymetrical spinniker Oldfield Classifieds Archive 2 22-05-2008 07:42
Asymetrical Chute Charlie General Sailing Forum 0 12-04-2006 08:27



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:30.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.