Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 03:18   #16
TEE

Exclamation Re: asymetrical spinnaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
There is a clear problem with the account described above. Sailors who are still prone to being surprised by the wind are not yet ready to fly a spinnaker short-handed.

There are no exceptions to this rule: the most experienced sailors will virtually never be surprised by a gust. It just doesn't happen. Lovers anticipate moods, fashion designers anticipate trends, mechanics anticipate breakdowns, politicians anticipate shifting priorities, business executive anticipate emerging markets, and sailors anticipate the wind.

Being able to fly a spinnaker is only 5% about having the skills to rig, hoist, and douse a spinnaker. The other 95% of the skill is learning to use the wind rather than fight it. And that means understanding what the wind is planning to do next.

ERRR!!! Excuse me. I recollect the original poster on this thread saying, "he has never had one before." My point is if you never had one before, the worst way to learn how to use one is single handed. I can pretty much guarantee he will be surprised.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 16:06   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: asymetrical spinnaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEE View Post
ERRR!!! Excuse me. I recollect the original poster on this thread saying, "he has never had one before." My point is if you never had one before, the worst way to learn how to use one is single handed. I can pretty much guarantee he will be surprised.
I agree if he tries to fly one in high winds but since they are a light air sail, he won't hurt much learning in 5-10 kts where he would get the most use out of the sail in the first place. The first time I flew one solo the boat was making two knots, I figured what the hey and tried it. Eureka! Boat speed doubled and I found it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Baby steps, that's all.

Rich

Edit: He's also talking about a cruising spinnaker not a conventional spinnaker. The cruising spinnaker is basically a really big genny. No poles needed.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spinnaker