Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-06-2014, 13:11   #16
Guy

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Aries Wind Vane Shaft too Long

Muffler shops don't use the right kind of bender. You will probably find some sort of aluminum schedule 40 pipe that will work. A mandrel bender or even a stout electrical conduit bender will do the job.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:21   #17

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House

Maybe try to buy a piece of that tubing and ask the muffler shop to bend it for you as a test!

Old 07-06-2014, 13:00   #18

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
Any suggestions about where to bend it? There is a custom muffler shop around here that does all kinds of decorative stuff.
My mount is just two pieces welded together at a right angle with a mitre joint and then flat braces welded on the inside of the bend. No fancy bends needed.
Old 08-06-2014, 17:07   #19

Sully, if you use the aft deck for mounting, you will only need straight tubing. No bends needed. You can also mount it(within reason) almost any height, by using blocks. I went and looked over my newly purchased (very old) Aries, and it look just like what you have on the first pictures. The breakaway sleeve slips onto the stub that extends from the bottom of the heavy casting that is the pendulum. The hinge is under the slide down sleeve,(just below the breakaway) that pushes down to allow the paddle to be swung up, out of the water. You cant shorten the shaft on the paddle without some machine work, since top of the shaft is like a fork from a turnbuckle. I measured both of my paddle shafts from the top of the paddle to the end of the shaft. The shorter shaft is 9 3/4'' with a slot cut into the top. The longer shaft was 15 1/4" without the slot. The longer paddle has the breakaway attached to it, rather than to the stub from the pendulum. There must be one of the more modern hinges used with it. Just so you dont go into shock when pricing spares for an Aries, the brand new breakaway tube that came with my vane had a $69 price tag on it. You should carry 2 spare breakaways if you are going to out of the way places. Make sure you always have the heavy rope from the lower part tied to something strong, so if you catch a cable or log you dont have to price a new paddle. I gasp to think about how much one would cost. Have fun learning to use the Aries. They are great. ______Grant.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:59   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordwedman View Post
My mount is just two pieces welded together at a right angle with a mitre joint and then flat braces welded on the inside of the bend. No fancy bends needed.
Hmmm....interesting. Hadn't thought of that. It's not going to be a right angle but otherwise I'll keep that in mind.

The tubes are aluminum, correct?
Old 09-06-2014, 08:04   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Sully, if you use the aft deck for mounting, you will only need straight tubing. No bends needed. You can also mount it(within reason) almost any height, by using blocks. I went and looked over my newly purchased (very old) Aries, and it look just like what you have on the first pictures. The breakaway sleeve slips onto the stub that extends from the bottom of the heavy casting that is the pendulum. The hinge is under the slide down sleeve,(just below the breakaway) that pushes down to allow the paddle to be swung up, out of the water. You cant shorten the shaft on the paddle without some machine work, since top of the shaft is like a fork from a turnbuckle. I measured both of my paddle shafts from the top of the paddle to the end of the shaft. The shorter shaft is 9 3/4'' with a slot cut into the top. The longer shaft was 15 1/4" without the slot. The longer paddle has the breakaway attached to it, rather than to the stub from the pendulum. There must be one of the more modern hinges used with it. Just so you dont go into shock when pricing spares for an Aries, the brand new breakaway tube that came with my vane had a $69 price tag on it. You should carry 2 spare breakaways if you are going to out of the way places. Make sure you always have the heavy rope from the lower part tied to something strong, so if you catch a cable or log you dont have to price a new paddle. I gasp to think about how much one would cost. Have fun learning to use the Aries. They are great. ______Grant.

Thanks Grant. I can't imagine blocking it up 10", I think that might be ridiculous and also occlude any other use of the aft deck. I found a decent machine shop here. I'm going to see if they can bend or weld the tubing and additionally cut the top of the rudder tub and machine in the same size jaw that's there.

I thought I read somewhere that the joint on these lift up rudder versions is suspect and eventually fails? Mine looks rarely used though. I have to spare "fuse" collars that came with it.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:41   #22

Sully, that sounds like it will work out fine. When they machine the slot, make sure it is the same width as the original, not wider. On my second Aries, I had the local welding/machine shop in Antigua bend the tubing. He used heat and a big tubing bender. I only got one long passage with that vane, but it was a heavy downwind 1000 miles, without any trouble from the vane, or the mounting. Your boat is about 1/4 of the displacement of my last boat, so I dont think you will have any problem with strength. Best of Luck. ______Grant.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:43   #23

Thanks Grant. The tubing seems like overkill to me, I would ponder going to a thinner section, particularly with the weight being on the transom. I'll see what the shop can do with what I have though. Time is running out, trying to be in the water by July 1 and it's pretty tight right now.l
Old 09-06-2014, 10:24   #24

Sully, unless you are planing on a cruise very soon, I would not worry about installing it before you splash. I installed my last one in the water, with no difficulty. I just had a thought about the geometry of the paddle swinging up. They normally swing up about (a guess) 150-160 degrees. They dont go a full 180. If you shorten the shaft/tube will that limit the amount of swinging up, since the actual paddle will hit the upper part before it gets to a reasonably high position?? Also, will that leave enough room for the sleeve that has to be pushed down to clear the hinge that allows the swing up???. I am not near my vane, so I am not sure if I am thinking correctly, but you might want to do a mockup before you cut anything. ____ I think SS tube might save you some weight, and should bend fine. Monitor uses SS with no trouble. You might want to leave the lower part of the tubing long, so that you can slide the whole vane up or down, until you are satisfied. You would have to make sure your mounting brackets were perfectly parallel, but that should not be too hard. ______Grant.
Old 09-06-2014, 17:10   #25

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
Thanks Grant. I can't imagine blocking it up 10", I think that might be ridiculous and also occlude any other use of the aft deck. I found a decent machine shop here. I'm going to see if they can bend or weld the tubing and additionally cut the top of the rudder tub and machine in the same size jaw that's there.

I thought I read somewhere that the joint on these lift up rudder versions is suspect and eventually fails? Mine looks rarely used though. I have to spare "fuse" collars that came with it.
To quote Nick Franklin " the hinged rudder coupling was produced during 1977-1979 and is not shown on the accompanying drawing. It swung up sideways with a hinge plate located just below the rudder coupling No. 68. After a time this unit wears, leading to excess wobble on the servo rudder and bad performance."

I think the solution was the connection with the breakaway tube with a pin through the upper and lower ends to connect things up. Only trouble with this, I think, is that you need to install the servo rudder from your dingy. The swing up joint made by Aries of Denmark eliminates this.

The Aries is pretty heavy so if your stern is going to be bouncing up and down, and the horizontal support arms are long, you might get some unwanted bending if using lighter tubing.
Old 21-06-2014, 20:04   #26

I was at my store room today and layed out my Aries to measure the difference between the 2 different paddles that came with it. The original has the flip up hinge, and the second ( brand new one) doesnt, and appears longer. It turns out that the overall length using either one, is the same. It is just that one has the easy ability to flip the paddle out of the water in port, and the other has to be removed by taking the breakaway tube off. I was surprised to see Nick Franklins comment on the flip up hinge wearing, but I think I would just get the next size larger pin, and the right size reamer, and make it like new again. This is my third Aries, and all three have been with the flip up hinge. I had thought that they all came that way. When people started talking about flip up, I thought they ment some kind of hinge to make the whole unit hinge up. Old dogs can learn new things. ______Grant.
Old 23-06-2014, 06:39   #27

So you've had good luck with that joint? It looks like there are many of them in service just like that. Mine looks pretty unused so I'm hoping it will work well as-is for a while.
Old 24-06-2014, 20:42   #28

My first 2 Aries worked fine with the pins and flip up style. I havent used my third one yet, but I will check for slop, and if there is any, I will buy the next size up pin (metric, or American) and the correct reamer, and make everything snug again. Again, I must say that the most important thing to do with an Aries , is to make sure to use a lot of anti sieze on the breakaway tube, so you dont have to lay over the transom with a saw and hammer and chisel out at sea. Good Luck. ______Grant.

Tags
aries, aries wind vane, wind

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: