When I bought the boat it came with a self steering
vane that hadn't even been uncovered for years. When we pulled the cover off the mechanism was frozen, the rudder
wouldn't turn at all. I did some googling, and after figuring out what I had, I discovered the documentation
available was less than thorough.
I figured I could better work on it off the boat, so I embarked on an epic saga to remove it myself, which only my paranoia prevented me from having to go diving
for it.. (It was frozen on, and I just knew that when it did pop off I was going to drop it, so I tied it to the pulpit with some spare line. Sure enough, it dropped just when I didn't have a good grip on it.)
At any rate, I managed to get it off, on the dock
and into the back of my truck. I've been driving around with it for a couple of weeks, planning to start taking it apart in the evenings at work. Up until last night, the time to do so hadn't present itself.
Last night I got a few spare hours, so I lugged the thing into the shop and set it up on the bench. Low and behold, it worked perfectly, smooth as silk. I smiled at my luck and put down the wrench... My best guess is that either the drop off the back or the banging around in the truck broke free whatever was frozen. I'm going to change the lube oil
a couple of times and call it good.
It's a testament to the durability of a near 40 year old unit, basically sitting for years in salt water
, that it still works.
Just thought I'd share some good refit
news, since the only refit
work I can get done right now is off-the-boat stuff...