Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2012, 11:47   #1

Boat: Gib sea 43
Arch for Solar Problems

OK its coming to the time to do the last few jobs before setting off, time to mount the solar panels, been thinking bimini/arch, my boom is very long and reaches almost to the transom, the backstays are mounted fairly a couple of feet in either side sugar scoop.

Now if i go for an arch it is going to be very tall not to foul on the back stays and i mean 9 foot, going to be a pain to work on, other option is have the arch made on the boat and welded either side , another option is have the arch made in two pieces assemble with the stays going through the arch, last one is have the arch made in one piece , have the mast stepped and run the stays through the arch.

None of which i like very much, which leaves me back at the bimini again, now i have tried it out and think i can get into the reefing points and sailbag with the bimini erect, but was thinking if i could do a rigid up to part of the bimini while still allowing the front half of the bimini to fold back.

Anyone ever done anything like this before, or can offer a better option on mounting, Im scratching my head quite badly here!

cheers
steven

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 12:15   #2

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Arch for Solar Problems

Like a cabriolet.... I built an Airex (similar to Klegecell) hard Bimini, i think if you go the Bimini you are going to achieve more as in water collection, shelter and mounting position where as a Arch will be cheaper it would lack the other benefits....
Cheers Frank
Old 29-02-2012, 12:21   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

I have a basic dislike for arches. They give the boat a heavy "crap on the back" look.

On my catamaran I have a bimini with secondary hoops above the bimini cloth where two solar panels are mounted. This is very secure but has a few issues to consider:

1. The boom must be high enough to clear the hoops and panels. On my cat this was easy with the wide boom which lets the solar panels be mounted outboard. On a monohull the panels would be mounted near the centerline.

2. The panels make it a little tougher to get the sail cover on and off, but not too difficult.

3. One side or the other is always going to be somewhat shaded by the boom. If you go this way look for a solar panel with internal diodes that will let it continue to function even with partial shading. Kyocera panels have these.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 12:25   #4

Most arches I've seen are angled aft so that they can clear the back stay and are placed at a suitable height, usually high enough to allow stepping off the transom without the need to duck.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 13:02   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
OK its coming to the time to do the last few jobs before setting off, time to mount the solar panels, been thinking bimini/arch, my boom is very long and reaches almost to the transom, the backstays are mounted fairly a couple of feet in either side sugar scoop.

Now if i go for an arch it is going to be very tall not to foul on the back stays and i mean 9 foot, going to be a pain to work on, other option is have the arch made on the boat and welded either side , another option is have the arch made in two pieces assemble with the stays going through the arch, last one is have the arch made in one piece , have the mast stepped and run the stays through the arch.

None of which i like very much, which leaves me back at the bimini again, now i have tried it out and think i can get into the reefing points and sailbag with the bimini erect, but was thinking if i could do a rigid up to part of the bimini while still allowing the front half of the bimini to fold back.

Anyone ever done anything like this before, or can offer a better option on mounting, Im scratching my head quite badly here!

cheers
steven
Wait till you get to the Caribbean come to St Martin see the South African S/S guy Theiry by Sandy Ground He does outstanding quality custom fit work(manship) to your requirement and at least half the price of anyone else for thousands of miles around
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc