Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2013, 17:13   #1

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Arch

I'm looking at a Caliber 40 that will need an arch installed for the davits, a wind generator mount, and anything else I need to attach. I was wondering if there are certain companies that specialize in archs for sailboats, or if I will need to find a local shop and do a custom job. I am located in Sarasota/Tampa area. Thoughts?

I would like the arch to be as rugged as possible- I have viewed a number of Beneteaus that have a stainless arch on the stern, and when I shake the arch, it wobbles. I want something very rugged; even incorporated into a hardtop bimini. Just trying to get an idea of how to get this done. Thanks so much,

David
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 17:30   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Arch

Dare you to shake this and see if it wobbles. And it's a Beneteau original equipment arch. Check the size of the stainless.

Any good stainless fabricator can build you an arch, about six to seven thousand dollars.
Old 27-12-2013, 17:34   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We have at least a half a dozen shops that do this type of work way down the Bayou! So Im sure you have a lot where yall are at!! Your just gonna have to do some foot work and get some bids !! I would ck some of them out on boats around ya and find one ya like and go to that shop, just a suggestion!
Old 27-12-2013, 17:36   #4

What is the maximum amount of weight these arches can support? I like the idea of spreading the weight around by mounting solar panels on top of a hard top bimini rather than on the rear arch.
Old 27-12-2013, 17:46   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
What is the maximum amount of weight these arches can support? I like the idea of spreading the weight around by mounting solar panels on top of a hard top bimini rather than on the rear arch.
Depends on the construction. The arch in my pics can take 3 or 4 large solar panels, radar dome, wind generator, no problem. What sits on top is not usually a problem. What hangs from it is the problem. Shock loads. And a good fabricator will build to your specs, if the boat will take it. It's all in the design and whether your prospective Caliber 40 has the area to support the arch. Check with a good stainless fabricator who has experience in arches. Not difficult to find in Florida.
Old 27-12-2013, 18:06   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

$1,700 to $2,000 Arches for Sail Boats | Boat Towers | Towers for Sailboats
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 18:31   #7

Any reason why those are so much cheaper? You get what you pay for I'm guessing in terms of steel quality, strength, etc.?
Old 27-12-2013, 19:18   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 38

Here's mine. I was lucky enough to have a metal shop, allow me to fit it and them weld it. Took a few months to build waiting for welding... but the price was more that fair!

Solar Bimini - Canvas added Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery

I did actually consider Atlantic Arch... for a long time before I got the build offer from the metal shop.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 19:28   #9

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Any reason why those are so much cheaper? You get what you pay for I'm guessing in terms of steel quality, strength, etc.?
Custom one piece welded up to fit your body perfectly. Or a bolt together one size fits many that can be built on jigs in a factory out of easily sized stock parts...
Time is money. Quality of steel is only one factor in overall cost and function.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 21:01   #10

Caribsailors, thanks for the photos, it's always nice to see other people's ideas. I would like something similar to that, but mounted further forward and then also have an arch, possibly attached to the bimini. I assume it's all possible, just a matter of how much I want to spend. I'll source out some local steel shops and I guess go from there.
Old 27-12-2013, 21:39   #11

Boat: Beneteau 49

The Atlantic Towers "Arch in a Box" are adjustable width arches that you cut the legs to your required length. The fitting that is bolted to the end of each leg blocks the leg so your wiring can't pass through the leg base into the boat. You will need to drill holes in the pipes to get the wires out of the arch and drill holes in the deck to get the wires into the boat. When you have an arch built you can have riser stubs for antennas, mounting plates for wind generator or satellite antennae, cleats to tie off the dinghy, etc. built into the arch. With the arch in a box, everything is bolt on. Also, the arch in a box is aluminum not stainless steel.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 07:28   #12

Georgec, thanks for the details. I am looking for something a little more rugged than the "arch in a box."
Old 28-12-2013, 09:18   #13

Boat: Beneteau 49

So was I. I went with Kato.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc