Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2012, 15:24   #121
Senior Cruiser
 
roverhi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kona, Hawaii, Carlsbad, CA
Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Posts: 6,006
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Any Updates on Synthetic Rigging ?

Del, hopefully you won't be in Sunny Seattle forever. In most livable places in the world, you don't have to worry about mold growing faster than your beard.
__________________

__________________
Peter O.
'Ae'a Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 15:38   #122
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: Any Updates on Synthetic Rigging ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Del, hopefully you won't be in Sunny Seattle forever. In most livable places in the world, you don't have to worry about mold growing faster than your beard.
Heck! It's snowing today.
__________________

__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 16:33   #123
Pusher of String
 
foolishsailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: On the hard; Trinidad
Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Posts: 2,314
Images: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi

5) SSB Antenna. Just take a 50' length of AWG14 marine wire and waterproof the upper end and splice it into the core of the backstay. Lock it in place with a whipping at the top and let it exit the core just above deck level. Laugh yourself crazy about all the folk with expensive and not 100% secure insulators and their faces when they discover how you did this

ciao!
Nick.
Great stuff nick. I love the fact that it is single core braid, I have been splicing double braid on all my halyards and that is a pain...

Splicing a wire core to the back stay is sheer genius! Have you done this? I would have concerns with the termination point of the antenna wire at the top point as the thickness of the braid will change and would this be a point of chafe inside the core? Also where the antenna wire exites the braid near the deck since it is pushing braid out of shape and the braid is not pulling inline around the wire would this weaken the back stay?
__________________
"So, rather than appear foolish afterward, I renounce seeming clever now."
William of Baskerville

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 18:38   #124
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor

Great stuff nick. I love the fact that it is single core braid, I have been splicing double braid on all my halyards and that is a pain...

Splicing a wire core to the back stay is sheer genius! Have you done this? I would have concerns with the termination point of the antenna wire at the top point as the thickness of the braid will change and would this be a point of chafe inside the core? Also where the antenna wire exites the braid near the deck since it is pushing braid out of shape and the braid is not pulling inline around the wire would this weaken the back stay?
At the bottom no problem, but at the top yes. Strip the insulation and taper the conductor core. Then put a heatshrink around that and close the top with a tiny dot of silicone. When it is tapered it won't chafe the line.

A lot of people do this just to hoist a wire so that it is stronger. I just hoist an AWG10 in that case

ciao!
Nick.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 22:39   #125
Registered User
 
Shanaly's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Perth west australia, Indian Ocean
Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)
Posts: 226
Re: Any Updates on Synthetic Rigging ?

fascinating thread! a few queries:
1 how to minimise chafe where the stays pass over the outer ends of the spreaders? a sheave-type arrangement?
2 how to have detachable standing rigging, so only some shrouds can be left in place while moored for long periods, and the detached sections can be stored out of the weather?
__________________
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 22:41   #126
Registered User
 
Shanaly's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Perth west australia, Indian Ocean
Boat: Samson C-Falcon 41'9" composite ketch (designed by Cece Norris)
Posts: 226
Re: Any Updates on Synthetic Rigging ?

ps - just a spoiler:
3 ) how to build a lightning conductor since the wire shrouds will no longer be able to create a faraday cage .... ?
__________________
Shanaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 05:41   #127
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanaly
fascinating thread! a few queries:
1 how to minimise chafe where the stays pass over the outer ends of the spreaders? a sheave-type arrangement?
2 how to have detachable standing rigging, so only some shrouds can be left in place while moored for long periods, and the detached sections can be stored out of the weather?
1) I answered in my previous numbered post here, incl. the pics.
2) What prevents you from taking away a synthetic shroud or stay? I find that much easier than steel wire.
3) I think it is more the mast that creates a cone of protection than the rigging creating a Faraday cage.

ciao!
Nick.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 15:40   #128
Registered User
 
Jmolan's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mexico/Alaska/Oregon
Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi

1) I answered in my previous numbered post here, incl. the pics.
2) What prevents you from taking away a synthetic shroud or stay? I find that much easier than steel wire.
3) I think it is more the mast that creates a cone of protection than the rigging creating a Faraday cage.

ciao!
Nick.
Have not checked in for some time. Great to see the applications! One note, Dynex, is Amsteel, is Spectra. They are all made from the same stuff, and each rope co. Braids it and makes color of their own. You need not apply any radius ratio to use it. Do NOT use knots....when you get familiar with 12 strand hollow braid, you can throw an eye in this on no time....Brion Toss tells of a guy who died when a bolen slipped out of his chair hoist line.
I use Dynex for most every thing. Halyards, lifelines, soft shackles, heck.....i recently used 1/4" to tow my Suburban truck that was buried in the sand! The entire gallery was backing up fast thinking this is going to break and snap...... Not.....by the way it does not snap or spring, it has no stretch.
Dynex Dux is a very different animal. Treat it like wire. Don not bend it tighter than 5-1......if yo have some, you can see the strands will link on the inside of a too tight bend. 5-1 for static, 10-1 for rollers and blocks.
I have run. Bronze hanks with only a little fuzz to see. Rigged 100% 7 mm Dux and my headstay and staysail stay with 9mm.
Dropped at least 35lbs. Off the SS rig. Eliminated all steel shackles, have all halyards at 1/4" Dynex, lifelines 1/4" Dynex. Only wire left on the boat is the steering cable. Been too lazy to change it........:-)
__________________
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 15:51   #129
Registered User
 
Jmolan's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mexico/Alaska/Oregon
Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Posts: 712
One moe thing. I used small diameter braided hose seized to the Dux where it goes over the spreader.
We now use Dyneema sleeves as chaffing gear on our big trawlers in Alaska. Dyneema has been proven to be the best abrasion material available, It would make you cry to see how we abuse both Dux and Dymeema on these steel decked trawlers. Without getting dramatic, we can use anything in the world. And Dux and Dyneema has replaced every wire on our 125' trawler, even the mile long 1" main wires....:-$
__________________
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:31   #130
Registered User
 
Jon Hacking's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Currently cruising Southern Indonesia, heading for peninsular Malaysia
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Posts: 523
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Re: Any Updates on Synthetic Rigging ?

We'd like to explore the possibility of replacing our six 3/8" rod diamonds with Dyneema Dux. What size Dux should we use? 3/8" rod probably has a breaking load of ~22K pounds (although I realize that one doesn't size Dux by breaking strength).

The 6 diamonds go over 2 sets of triangular spreaders (1 in front, 2 swept back) & are really just to keep the mast in column (the mast is 18m & raked a bit, but not bent). Each diamond stay is ~10m or 30'. We have no idea what the static (preload) tensions were but the rods were pretty tight.

Is Dux appropriate for this application?
How big would we have to go to get around significant creep?
Dead-eyes or turnbuckles? (we haven't touched the rods in 12 years)

Any help here appreciated! TIA
__________________
-- Jon Hacking s/v Ocelot
Jon Hacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 13:43   #131
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Nashua NH
Boat: Thinking about a Catolina
Posts: 26
Re: Any Updates on Synthetic Rigging ?

Check out www.colligomarine.com most of what they do is synthetic rigging with Dux
__________________
SSI / NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 13:44   #132
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Nashua NH
Boat: Thinking about a Catolina
Posts: 26
Re: Any Updates on Synthetic Rigging ?

Home
__________________
SSI / NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 16:39   #133
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Re: Any Updates on Synthetic Rigging ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
We'd like to explore the possibility of replacing our six 3/8" rod diamonds with Dyneema Dux. What size Dux should we use? 3/8" rod probably has a breaking load of ~22K pounds (although I realize that one doesn't size Dux by breaking strength).

The 6 diamonds go over 2 sets of triangular spreaders (1 in front, 2 swept back) & are really just to keep the mast in column (the mast is 18m & raked a bit, but not bent). Each diamond stay is ~10m or 30'. We have no idea what the static (preload) tensions were but the rods were pretty tight.

Is Dux appropriate for this application?
How big would we have to go to get around significant creep?
Dead-eyes or turnbuckles? (we haven't touched the rods in 12 years)

Any help here appreciated! TIA
Jon, get in touch with John Franta at Colligo Marine (John Franta <jfranta@colligomarine.com>). This is their speciality. He also is a member here so hopefully he may chime in.

I'm also sending you a PM on another matter.
__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 17:32   #134
Moderator Emeritus
 
Pblais's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hayes, VA
Boat: Gozzard 36
Posts: 8,700
Images: 15
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Re: Any Updates on Synthetic Rigging ?

Quote:
We'd like to explore the possibility of replacing our six 3/8" rod diamonds with Dyneema Dux.
DUX is structurally more than plenty. It is not an arguable point. The only bad part of DUX is the labor. It takes a lot more hours to rig a boat and I don't feel that is arguable. If you hire it rigged you will spend a LOT to have it completed.

If you do it yourself you can have a much lighter rig. A lighter rig would always be nice if done well. From what I have seen Colligo has all the gear to do it right and the track record to brag about it. The DUX is almost free compared to evrything else.
__________________
Paul Blais
s/v Bright Eyes Gozzard 36
37 15.7 N 76 28.9 W
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:24   #135
Registered User
 
Jmolan's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mexico/Alaska/Oregon
Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Posts: 712
Re: Any Updates on Synthetic Rigging ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
DUX is structurally more than plenty. It is not an arguable point. The only bad part of DUX is the labor. It takes a lot more hours to rig a boat and I don't feel that is arguable. If you hire it rigged you will spend a LOT to have it completed.


If you do it yourself you can have a much lighter rig. A lighter rig would always be nice if done well. From what I have seen Colligo has all the gear to do it right and the track record to brag about it. The DUX is almost free compared to evrything else.

Paul, I wonder where you got the idea it takes a long time?
When you get familiar with the splice, you can make up a shroud/stay in very short time. I did my entire cutter rig (10 ropes) in less than a full day. That's 20 splices. I know I got faster as I went also.
__________________

__________________
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rigging

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Synthetic Oil vs Conventional Oil GnarlyMon Construction, Maintenance & Refit 20 26-11-2012 06:56
All-New Rigging from Scratch - But How ? Ryan H Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 5 04-10-2011 14:18
Rigging Inspection Needed - Bristol, RI Iain Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 13 15-08-2011 15:53
Hammocks and Stress on Standing Rigging rhumbunctious Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 8 06-08-2011 10:08
Affordable Synthetic Standing Rigging jfranta Commercial Posts 0 23-07-2011 07:09



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:11.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.