Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 07:40   #46

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
2 yrs on

Gashmore PM me and I will shoot a PDF from Hampidjan. Thanks for the engineering....:-)

Oh one thing I failed to point out. Allthough the 2 pieces I untucked the splice and respliced, were two years in the sun. I did not see ANY discoloration or did the line feel any stiffer or softer than the new stuff i was working with that day.
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:54   #47

PM sent.
Gashmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:52   #48

Thanks Jmolan.I admire your confidence that your metal eyes wont elongate and your plastic stuff wont degrade.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 19:43   #49

huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonam View Post
Thanks Jmolan.I admire your confidence that your metal eyes wont elongate and your plastic stuff wont degrade.

If ya got no confidence ya never go over the horizon......:-)
(that is my polite answer)

What the He## are you talking about?
(I think your just jerking my chain)
Old 08-12-2008, 21:14   #50

How would this synthetic standing rigging material compare to solid rod rigging...
Thank you much,
J.P.
johnpair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 23:55   #51

Jmolan,sorry you think I am jerking your chain.My first boat had galvanised wires wrapped around eyes like your rope.After a bit of rough weather I found some of the eyes were distorting.I found the common one inch stainless tube would fit inside the eyes so I cut rounds to reinforce the eyes.I did have a situation where these rounds would stay in place under stress.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:28   #52

The Precort and Colligo terminators are milled from solid aluminum blocks. Other than the pin and lashing holes there is no open space to distort. There were some pictures earlier in this thread showing Dux around heavy cast stainless thimbles though which seemed to be holding up well. I have a question about that though as Dux really does not like to make turns under at least 5 diameters.

J.P. From a strictly performance standpoint it is a trade off. Rod has the advantage of low stretch and less windage. Dux can be sized to equal the stretch at the expense of more windage. OTOH, the Dux will greatly reduce the weight aloft. Proper inspection of rod requires dies and microscopic examination. The signs of weakness in synthetics are excessive permanent stretch, abrasion and UV damage. All three of which are fairly easy to detect.

From an installation standpoint, professionally installed Dux should work out a little less expensive than rod and is a lot easier to ship and work with. A competent DIYer should be able to get the cost down fairly close to wire. Rod heading equipment is expensive and not available everywhere. In fact, Navtec headers are licensed and deliberately limited geographically. If a rod needs to be re-headed it would probably have to be sent off. The closest to me is in Charleston.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:37   #53

Rod rigging vs. Sythetics

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpair View Post
How would this synthetic standing rigging material compare to solid rod rigging...
Thank you much,
J.P.
Dynex Dux | Colligo Synthetic Systems | Colligo Marine

http://www.colligomarine.com/docs/br...o_brochure.pdf

I think you can find what you need here J.P. I am not sure the cost compairisons are there for rod rigging though. I would suspect rod to be pretty spendy compare to wire/dux. I also would suspect rod to be better windage wise, at least going to weather. But again I am just guessing, I have never used or said a rod rigged boat.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:44   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonam View Post
Jmolan,sorry you think I am jerking your chain.My first boat had galvanised wires wrapped around eyes like your rope.After a bit of rough weather I found some of the eyes were distorting.I found the common one inch stainless tube would fit inside the eyes so I cut rounds to reinforce the eyes.I did have a situation where these rounds would stay in place under stress.
I gotcha now. No worries. It was just the very first post I had seen concerning the chance of eyes distorting. Kinda came outta nowhere..:-)
Old 09-12-2008, 08:52   #55

My first boat had rod rigging, I was new to sailing in the Lauderdale area. My buddy came down for the winter, he was one of those surf sail guys, and when there was wind, he knew what to do with it. We used to take that boat out for the afternoon and literally drive the pudding out of it. I remember the broker who sold it to me say, look at this stuff, solid rod, you guys are going to have some fun... The boat was already seventeen years old, when I bought it, the rod was original. As a precaution I went up and checked all the terminals every week. It would be interesting to find out what the statitistics are regarding age/stress application/failure of rod.
Thank you all,
J.P.
Old 09-12-2008, 17:32   #56

Other thread

Looks like there is two threads going about Synthetics. I just posted over there. See if we gang the two together? After all I mean we are a splinter group of a sub set of a minority of a select eclectic bunch as it is right? I can't see splitting our little group into tow sects....oh my....:-)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post231648
Old 13-12-2008, 17:11   #57

Update

Got the spreaders finished and all the Dux attached. It does not look like much in this shot but I can assure you there is not a piece of wire on it. Was kinda hard to get a decent angle to get a shot.
You might be able to see the strings I use for halyards also. 3/16 Dynex with 3/8 or 7/16 cored stuff with the core taken out for ten feen or so and the dynext stuffed inside. Bigest problem so far has been how the sing in the wind. I mean they can really get singing...:-).
Should get all this onboard and out on the water inside of two weeks.
I talked to guy who came by today. Has a 32' CC Trimaran. Has used Dux for a year now. Full time sailor. No engine or electricity etc. He was glad to see me trying the 9mm with hanked on sails as that is the last wore left for him is his headstay. When I ask him how he like the Dux after a year he said. "Wire is dead man, why would you ever want to go back to wire"...:-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC130211.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	496.5 KB
ID:	6213   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC130213.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	478.2 KB
ID:	6214  

Old 13-12-2008, 17:31   #58

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Rann
Nice work, mate. Keep it up and you will be in the water soon.

Rann
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 20:29   #59

Why couldn't the standing rigging be located inside the mast.
I remember the first tri and biplanes with all these wires between the airfoils.
Anybody seen a 747 with keel and deck masts and guy wires?
Stuff that wears out, sitting at the dock, when you're not even using the boat?
One recent American Vendee Globe finisher was an example of NO standing rigging.
Progress, Gentlemen, progress.
And, of course, a grain of salt.
Old 13-12-2008, 20:42   #60

You can do it if you have the bucks. Freedom Yachts have a stayless mast but half the cost of the boat was in the spars.

Tags
rigging