Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 04:29   #1

Boat: 1986 Sigma 41
Any recommendations on 6 foot plus swim ladders?

I have a freeboard of about 4 ft amidships where I plan to install a gunwale style swim ladder. For the life of me I cannot find a ladder that is at least 6 feet long, (longer is okay too) but folds or stows easily when not in use.

I was looking at the West Marine Gunwale -Mount Ladder but the longest version, the 6 step, is only about 5 feet long. An 8 step version of this would be fantastic.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...rs--P012868550

Any suggestions!?? Thanks in advance.
theglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:58   #2

Re: Any recommendations on 6 foot plus swim ladders?

glo, I'd recommend having one welded up. Will be many times the quality of those cheap retail ladders and will serve your purpose much better. If you can't find a local welding shop to fabricate it (stainless 304 is okay, 316 is better) or in aluminum, then go with mild steel. I did that here and the environment is extremely corrosive. Paint it with 2-part epoxy and as long as you touch up any scratches it will last. Better would be to have it hot-dip galvanized, which is not very expensive. If you go galvanized, then try to design it with angles and channels, but NOT tubes or squares.

Hinging is easy with just holes drilled and a stainless bolt as the pin. You can even fabricate a small 2'X2' platform at water's edge for boarding your dinghy. Get creative and have fun.

BTW, if you do any scuba or snorkeling, then fabricate it with the single central post and open rungs, so you can use it with fins on. And make sure to angle it outwards (not vertical).
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:40   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Mystic Stainless makes a folding gunwale mount ladder that is semi-custom. You give them some measurements and they finish one of their ladders to fit. The ladder folds and swings up to the height of your lifelines on the outside, and is removeable and stowable. They have several gunwale mounting options as well. They have two lengths, short and long. The long one would work for you I’m pretty sure.

They are pricey but I finally broke down and bought one as I could not find a better alternative. I needed something that I could deploy from the water to get back on the boat and this was the only option for that. It’s a bit of a rattletrap when off its mounts but is very high quality.

http://mysticstainless.com
Old 04-03-2019, 19:56   #4

Boat: Tartan 40

My boat came with this. Top rate

http://www.whitewatermarineinc.com/d...dder-guide.pdf
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 21:58   #5

Another vote to find someone who does stainless welding and have them fabricate something. Also the center post design is better with or without fins on.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 22:41   #6

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I have one very similar to this. Made by a now defunct fabricator in Michigan. Made in 1992 and still going strong. A difference on mine is that it has sliding sleeves on both sets of hinges and that it has PVC treads on the steps - more comfortable and less slippery for bare feet.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:52   #7

Not to create an argument, but I disagree with Valhalla360's comment about centerpost design being better 'even barefoot.' Without the sideposts it is very easy to get injured when your bare foot slips off the step on a centerpost ladder.
Var Korall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:02   #8

Put 2 shorter SS or wood ones together. Cut and Weld 2 SS together. There are telescoping or folding ones that look like it would not be hard at all.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:40   #9

Boat: Jason 35 cutter

theglo, I recently discovered that the Up-n-Out emergency/boarding ladders are back in production after a five year absence. You might have seen some attached to marina docks. I first saw them at a boat show years ago and was impressed with the design and quality. Their longest ladder is 7 feet. I will be purchasing a bulwark mounted ladder from them once I get back to my boat to take measurements. They show you what measurements they need and how to arrive at them on their website.

www.scandiamarineproducts.com
SaulTeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:13   #10

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
I have one very similar to this. Made by a now defunct fabricator in Michigan. Made in 1992 and still going strong. A difference on mine is that it has sliding sleeves on both sets of hinges and that it has PVC treads on the steps - more comfortable and less slippery for bare feet.
White Water Marine is still in business in Michigan, but Berry retired a few years back and sold it to Tom & Mike who are also good fabricators. We had them make custom dorade guards for our boat and they made them exactly to our measurements. We also compared their folding ladder for our 6' freeboard and they were very similar to Mystic, but much less expensive. Wouldn't hesitate in purchasing a ladder from them, especially if you wanted it customized to fit your boat better. Definitely get a longer ladder that reaches into the water further to make it easier for others to use.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:16   #11

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
White Water Marine is still in business in Michigan, but Berry retired a few years back and sold it to Tom & Mike who are also good fabricators. We had them make custom dorade guards for our boat and they made them exactly to our measurements. We also compared their folding ladder for our 6' freeboard and they were very similar to Mystic, but much less expensive. Won't hesitate in purchasing a ladder from them, especially if you wanted it customized to fit your boat better. Definitely get a longer ladder that reaches into the water further to make it easier for others to use.

Bill O.
Bill,
It was not Whitewater. I don't remember the name right now but they were in Marysville Michigan.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:35   #12

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

If you have one made choose either Aluminum or 316 SS. 304 is marine grade and will start rusting almost immediately.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:49   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There is very little difference between 316 and 304 actually. It’s more how well it’s passivated and polished than material.
I had an Engineer pull out his materials book and show me how very close 304 and 316 are, cause I had always believed that 304 was stronger but less corrosion resistant, which it is, just not much.
My Kato Davits and Radar pole are both 304, and five years old and have only had a little surface rust from time to time that’s easily cleaned off with Barkeepers friend.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:52   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
If you have one made choose either Aluminum or 316 SS. 304 is marine grade and will start rusting almost immediately.
If there's any welding, either will rust unless annealed and polished after welding.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:53   #15

Boat: N/M 45

+1 on the Mystic Stainless folding stainless boarding ladder, I've been using mine for many years now and the device works well - with and without swim fins. The attachment to the boat is strong (a T-track) and the weight handling is excellent. I have the longer 3-section ladder, it folds up nicely. Rather expensive, it does the job well.

- rob
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men