Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 13:09   #1
Registered User
 
RollsRoyce's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern, PA.
Boat: 1999 = 53 Foot Hatteras
Posts: 5
"ANY INFO ON M.O.B. RECOVERY PLEASE!"

Hello All:

I have not been able to find much info here re: M.O.B. recovery = and am hoping someone can provide me with a few links ...

If not ... I would like to open the topic ... for opinions, etc. ...

All Best ... RR ...
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 13:14   #2
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York CIty
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I have not been able to find much info here re: M.O.B. recovery = and am hoping someone can provide me with a few links
... RR ...
Look here for what might be the only quantitative testing of various methods for both power and sail boats

http://www.boatus.com/foundation/fin...ngs41/FF41.pdf

Cheers,
__________________

__________________
tom151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 13:17   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
 
Hud3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Posts: 8,929
Images: 49
Hi, Rolls.

Use the Google search in the "Search" pull-down menu. Here's what searching on "MOB" yielded, for example: mob - Google Search
__________________
Hud
Hud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 13:24   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,040
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Hello All:

I have not been able to find much info here re: M.O.B. recovery = and am hoping someone can provide me with a few links ...

If not ... I would like to open the topic ... for opinions, etc. ...

All Best ... RR ...
Crew Overboard Rescue Symposium Final Report

Among the approaches I favour

1) All crew wear PFD's. They float better, are more visible and you may be able to get a boat hook on them.

2) In heavy weather, at night and while offshore tethers are required. At night strobes are required.

3) Use a Dan buoy or some other datum marker.

4) I like the heave-to, sail-to, heave-to method of MOB for upwind MOB. Similar to a quick stop, but the foresail is left up to facilitate heaving-to. This can be done by one person. Downwind does require coming about, but you can still heave-to at the end.

5) Pick up the MOB on the leeward side while hove-to.

6) If you a towing an inflatable dinghy, get them into it ASAP. After that you can figure out how to get them aboard.

7) Life sling works well for conscious MOBs.

8) Every boat is different

9) PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE

Jack
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 14:50   #5
Eternal Member
 
imagine2frolic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Las Brisas Panama AGAIN!
Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Posts: 4,508
Images: 123
Rolls,

Thread drift here....I have done exhaust on hundreds of those lovely cars.

I am sure that swim platform on your vessel will come in handy getting some one aboard again.
__________________
SAILING is not always a slick magazine cover!
BORROWED..No single one of is as smart as all of us!
http://sailingwithcancer.blogspot.com/
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 16:04   #6
Registered User
 
RollsRoyce's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern, PA.
Boat: 1999 = 53 Foot Hatteras
Posts: 5
"1964 RR-SC-3!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Rolls,

Thread drift here....I have done exhaust on hundreds of those lovely cars.

I am sure that swim platform on your vessel will come in handy getting some one aboard again.
Hey Frolic:


Can't p/m yet = gotta use the forum ... I have 3 of these 1964 Silver Cloud III's = V/8 = super fast ...

One of the fastest production cars of it's day ...


So, you mean you're here to dissolve the fact that only a RR factory mechanic is able to open the hood of one of these cars ... L.O.L. ...


Probably the most fascinating fact about these cars is that they have so many redundancies ... 3 heater blower motors, 2 a/c blower motors ...


... Brakes are the most fascinationg ... both Mechanical & hydraulic ... mechanicals run off a servo that spins on the side of the tranny ... so unless the wheels are turning - no brakes - makes parallel parking a real treat ... you gotta use the hand - parking - emergency brake ...


Tranny's are actually one's they had special made from GM = and were the same Auto-three-gear-Hydromatics that were used in the 50's Caddy & Buicks, except for the ridiculous spinning servo on the side for the brakes ...


I could go on forever ... but they sure go fast = and look neat ...

All Best, RR ...
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
RollsRoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 16:34   #7
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Hello All:

I have not been able to find much info here re: M.O.B. recovery = and am hoping someone can provide me with a few links ...

If not ... I would like to open the topic ... for opinions, etc. ...

All Best ... RR ...
Are we talking powerboat strategies or sailing strategies?

You have a pretty big boat. Getting back to the MOB is only 1/3 the battle.

You will need to think about strategies to get a concious and unconcious person back on board. With help and solo.

We practice MOB about every 3-4 weeks while sailing. For sailing I like a direct return whenever possible reasoning fewer turns means less chance of losing the MOB. We have a 150% genny and what works for me is to drop the main or let it flog and propel the boat by the genny alone.

We come up on a reach to tight reach on the windward side, flog the genny as we arrive and take all way off as we get abeam.

The disadvantage on this side is that if the wind is up you could come down on top of the MOB. You won't do that on the leward side but you could drift away from the MOB and have to make another attempt.

A second person's first job is spotter.

The skipper's job is to practice.
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 16:52   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,040
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Are we talking powerboat strategies or sailing strategies?

You have a pretty big boat. Getting back to the MOB is only 1/3 the battle.

You will need to think about strategies to get a concious and unconcious person back on board. With help and solo.

We practice MOB about every 3-4 weeks while sailing. For sailing I like a direct return whenever possible reasoning fewer turns means less chance of losing the MOB. We have a 150% genny and what works for me is to drop the main or let it flog and propel the boat by the genny alone.

We come up on a reach to tight reach on the windward side, flog the genny as we arrive and take all way off as we get abeam.

The disadvantage on this side is that if the wind is up you could come down on top of the MOB. You won't do that on the leward side but you could drift away from the MOB and have to make another attempt.

A second person's first job is spotter.

The skipper's job is to practice.
It is a power boat, duh

Two approaches can be used

Anderson turn

Williamson turn

As to letting genoas, especially big ones, flog. It really restricts the pick up point to the last third of the boat. Flogging sheets can injurious to the crew.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 17:33   #9
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
It is a power boat, duh

Two approaches can be used

Anderson turn

Williamson turn

As to letting genoas, especially big ones, flog. It really restricts the pick up point to the last third of the boat. Flogging sheets can injurious to the crew.

Good point. Given sea state, hands on board etc, etc. more tasks can be accomplished. Our genny furls from the cockpit. Given time and condition of MOB we could spend 30 seconds to roll in the genny.

All procedures can be rehearsed, especially the basics to develop a sound basic strategy. Then based on conditions it can be modified.

On our boat, MOB recovery is almost always abaft the mast usually up the transom.

Single handed it is also completely valid to simply light the iron fire and drop all sails on the deck.

Whatever gets you back to the person in the water, in control and safety.
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 22:22   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oz
Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
Posts: 419
Practice. The more you practice the less likely it will occur as everyone realises how difficult it is except in the most benign conditions, and they become more careful of attaching themselves
__________________

__________________
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Pirates' and 'Pirate Attacks' Euro Cruiser Health, Safety & Related Gear 24 20-08-2010 15:06
Sir Peter Blake's "Seamaster," Now "Tara," Still Hard at Work TaoJones Monohull Sailboats 5 15-12-2009 15:40
Garmin 'In-Hull' vs 'Thru-Hull' Transducers La Bras D'or Navigation 24 23-09-2009 08:26



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:59.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.