Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 19:38   #1

Boat: Hullmaster 22
Alter Boom or Sail ?

Hello, I have a 22'er I have been restoring and came across a great deal on a new mainsail I couldn't pass up. I referenced my boat's "E" length online and it seemed to be a perfect fit, 9'10". The problem is that the foot of the sail ( 9'10") turned out to be longer than the boom by about 8" .
So now I'm not sure whether to:

1. Get the sail altered to shorten the foot by 10"-12"

2. Try to extend my existing boom to accommodate the new sail, or

3. Try to find a longer used boom.

4. Try to trade in the sail for one with A shorter foot.

My main concern, no pun intended, is making sure i maintain the minimum distance between the end of the boom and the backstay (not sure what that is) and making the most cost effective choice.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Crewless22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 20:10   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Alter Boom or sail?

Welcome Aboard CF

If your rig is up just take your boom and lift it up to check clearance on backstay, probably won't be able to use longer boom.
Ask a sailmaker about the cost, it might not be that bad for a 22'...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 21:28   #3

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Re: Alter Boom or sail?

Your problem might not be the boom and the backstay, but the roach of the sail and the backstay. It's fairly common for the battens to get hung up on the stay, particularly (I think) full battens. A sailmaker should be able to recut the leach easily enough.
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 01:43   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Alter Boom or Sail ?

Have the sail cut by a sail maker...They'll know what to do.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 14:04   #5

Boat: Hullmaster 22
Thanks all; I checked with the sailmaker and they said they quoted me about $150 for the alteration. Given I only paid about 150 for the almost new mainsail, the cost of altering still gets me a new sail at a bargain. Thanks again.
Crewless22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 11:49   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

That's a good decision. Add some reef points if it doesn't have any.
kind regards,
Old 17-06-2011, 09:32   #7

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II

kind of off topic but the main i had before it ripped sat very low over the cockpit when close hauled. the sailmaker drove an hour to come look at my boat and take measurements because he didnt want to give me a sail just off numbers and dimensions. while he was measuring he starting ringing off about how i have no backstay so i can max out the roach, cut the sail to hold the boom higher. add this, take this away etc etc. when he called to give me the price i was shocked. 750 for a new main! all the bigger companies wanted close if not over double and the delivery date was 3 weeks longer than my sailmaker! then he said he would help me slap it on and take it for a sail so he could make sure everything was working with it and if it wasnt he would make alterations accordingly..
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2011, 10:20   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.L.Green View Post
kind of off topic but the main i had before it ripped sat very low over the cockpit when close hauled. the sailmaker drove an hour to come look at my boat and take measurements because he didnt want to give me a sail just off numbers and dimensions. while he was measuring he starting ringing off about how i have no backstay so i can max out the roach, cut the sail to hold the boom higher. add this, take this away etc etc. when he called to give me the price i was shocked. 750 for a new main! all the bigger companies wanted close if not over double and the delivery date was 3 weeks longer than my sailmaker! then he said he would help me slap it on and take it for a sail so he could make sure everything was working with it and if it wasnt he would make alterations accordingly..
And this is why it is so often better to go with a small local sailmaker than with either an internationally franchised name brand loft or a "mail order" Asian loft. PErsonal service directed at you, your boat, and how and where you will be sailing.

Way to go, Mate, and I'm sure that you will love your new sail, and that you will have learned a bit from your interaction with the sailmaker.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
sail