Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2019, 06:09   #31

Boat: Privilege 435
Re: Advice needed on my reefing points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie Too View Post
What you have is a fair lead not a 2:1 ratio or mechanical advantage. In order to get the MA you need to return and round another sheave and create a purchase or gun tackle. Your idea is good but a mechanical advantage is not there.
The advantage is there with the traditional set-up but I realize that my proposed set-up loses that advantage. It was kinda' the main question of the post as to whether I need that advantage. As Stu pointed out, the weight of the boom is taken up with the topping lift when you are putting the reef in. When I slacken the main halyard the sail falls by itself so the process of reefing usually just involves taking up the slack before loosening the topping lift.

Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:59   #32

Boat: Hake 32RK

Put the pulley up at the cringle and use diagram one-that gives you both mechanical advantage and outhaul as the sail is reefed. This is the way I have run both of my reefing lines and it eliminates the friction from the line running through the cringle.

Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:32   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
I've spared no expense on the graphics to better explain my proposed set-up.

Attachment 188711
Also see the above post. I just went through this yesterday and did something slightly different. I got the low friction eyes you mention. I put them on a short dynamena strop, you can buy premade. I made the strop long enough so I could loop it through the cringle and hold the eye as close to the crigle as possible. Then I reran my lines as you show in your top picture except through the low friction eyes.

I find the cringle adds a lot of friction when setting the outhaul. The eye should reduce that friction a fair bit. I’ve gotten the eye close enough to the cringle I don’t think it will make a difference.

I’ve not tried it out yet, but the difference in friction was noticeable.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 13:12   #34

Boat: Morris Justine 36'

Here is a description of using low-friction rings at reef points.
The Aggressive Dolphin: Reducing friction in single-line reefing
The goal of reefing is not only to make the sail smaller, but to make it flat. That means the outhaul must be tight to get the draft out of the bottom of the sail. Too much draft will leave you with a sail that cannot make progress to windward
Old 06-04-2019, 14:55   #35

Boat: Beneteau Sense 43

Our boom only supports two reef lines with the one-line reefing system, but for for the third reef we needed a solution to properly tighten the third reef line.

After some research we found the Facnor HRC reef hook which allows to fix the reef line in a locked position with a thin helper line. The hook is not exactly cheap but we decided to give it a try in this season. Just ordered it, it has not arrived yet, so no first hand experience. But maybe something to consider for your situation as well.
There's a video on the linked page (unfortunately in French, but you get the idea by watching the operation).

An alternative (simpler mechanism, maybe less secure, and more expensive) is the Karver KHR Boom Reef Lock ; .

Regarding fixing the reef line to the boom for the first and second reef: we use a small bowline which wraps the line, not the boom. That way the reef line tightens itself around the boom.
mbartosch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 15:21   #36

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Anyone know if there are "low friction cringles?" Never seen 'em. It might be kind of useful to have low friction inserts for cringles? Not sure how they'd be made... just a thought.

edit: ok google came through of course:
Antal Srl | Antal marine products
These guys make them to be sewn in with webbing. That's a tempting refit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2019-04-06 at 3.27.01 PM.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	189514  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 14:17   #37

Attach the reef line to the boom with a flying bowline. Tie the bowline around the reef line not the boom. Leave the eye of the bowline loose around the reef line. This allows you to use the strength of the boom and not a piece of hardware attached to the boom. It also allows some movement of the reef line along the boom to enhance a proper angle when pulled down and aft.

sailores35 is offline   Reply With Quote