Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2006, 14:49   #1

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
ABI Forestay Release Lever

Aloha All,
Would those of you who have them or used them tell me about any advantages, disadvantages or problems you've had with ABI Forestay Quick Release Levers? Other than the cost, of course.
I'm thinking of adding one to my inner forestay/staysail stay which has 5/16" wire rigging.
Kind Regards, --John--
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2006, 19:34   #2

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
John - Do you already have one? I think I've got one in my locker...
Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2006, 19:40   #3

ABI Forestay Release Lever

Gallivanters,
No, I haven't bought one yet. They come in different sizes. I need one that will fit a 5/16" wire inner forestay.
Why would you part with one? or, Why, would you part with yours?
Regards, --John--
Old 25-05-2006, 22:14   #4

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
Skiprjohn,
I have an ABI Forestay Release Lever on my innerforestay. Haven't had any problems, but it has only been installed for a little over a year. I can't tell you the advantages over other stay releases because i've never had anything different. I certainly prefer it a fixed turnbuckle as I use the inner (actually Solent) stay only for longer passages. I like the ability to easily remove the stay and get it out of the way of the genoa by securing it one of the shrouds. With the Solent Stay in place I have to furl the genoa to tack.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2006, 05:16   #5

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
John, I'm pleased with ours...which isused in much the same way John uses his, as we have sisterships. I find it hard to keep shiny and non-corroded, if that's a concern to you. It's very beefy and the lever's just long enough to get a fairly stiff tension on the stay...tho' I'd like another 6" if I could have it. OTOH if you lose that little safety pin which holds the whole thing together....

Jack
Old 26-05-2006, 09:27   #6

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
It doesn't matter what size your riggin is in that you can obtain the corect sized swage fitting with the proper threads to fit the lever body.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2006, 11:58   #7

Rick,
You may have experience with the ABI lever that I don't have, but the ABI catalogue has a different model for each wire size. It may be that the threaded stud for a given wire size will fit in several of the levers, but I'm not so sure.
John
Old 26-05-2006, 12:20   #8

Hi Rick,
I have to agree with John S. on that. The size I need would be good for either 5/16" or 3/8" wire size using a 5/8" clevis pin. The next size down for smaller wires would use a 1/2" clevis pin.
I seem to be getting the point that there are no drawbacks to having the inner stay quickly removable. It certainly would make tacking easier in light air with a big yankee/genny.
Thanks for you input. Kind Regards, --John--
Old 26-05-2006, 12:46   #9

SkiprJohn,
Forgive me for continuing to use your username when you supply a real name, but there just too many of us Johns out there. I think the SSCA Forum should change their anonymous ID to John. it would probably accurately ID most of the anons.

Anyway, I think you are correct there is great advantage to being able to disconnect the innerforestay without a set of pliers. If you have any concerns about the strength of the fiting Jack can probably alleviate those with a description of his and Particia's sail across the Bay of Biscay last year.

John Stevenson
Old 05-09-2006, 12:52   #10

Aloha All,
Let it be known to all in the realm of his most noble majesty, King Neptune, that Captain Kirk of Gallivanters deserves a mahalo nui loa, a big thank you. I won't tell the reason why, just let it be know that he is very deserving and his kindness is extremely appreciated.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
Old 16-11-2009, 21:22   #11

Help! Help!
I am trying to hook up an inner forstay as a solent stay with a quick release lever that I just bought on ebay, but blow me down if I can't figure out how the damn thing works to tension the innerstay. I'll try to include a picture here of the lever as well as explain my problem, which is that when the lever extends as far out as it will go (12" to attach to an eye pad) the handle is already parallel with the solent stay (closed), so I am unable to apply any more tension to the solent stay, which I need to do to tighten the stay. When the lever is open (first picture), the eyes are only 10.5" separation. Shouldn't it be the other way around? When open, shouldn't there be more distance between the eyes so I can hook to the pad eye without difficutly. And when closed (second picture) shouldn't it bring the two eyes together (tighten) with less distance between the eyes? It doesn't make sense to me. It seems to work opposite of what it's suppose to do. Shouldn't the lever only tighten up when the handle comes back to the stay to be latched with that SS O-Ring, not loosen up.
Hopefully I have it hooked up wrong. Please look at the pictures and tell me what you think my problem is.
Also, one of the pins on the lever that bends in knurled, so it cannot be removed. Meaning it must be hooked up right. ???
PS. I can't find who made this lever written anywhere, but it is heavy duty with 1/2" holes for pins.

dancamp009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 22:20   #12

I figured out my quick release lever problem

Okay, call me dumb, or at least a little slow.
so here are some new pictures with the way I need to use this quick release lever to make it work right. Now I love it.
here is open and then closed position.
dancamp009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 11:54   #13

I had a phone call from a friend last night with a question. By the time I answered (4th ring) he said he'd already figured out the right answer.
Good job. You got it right.
regards