Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2014, 06:52   #1

Boat: Bristol 32
A new dodger for Eider

My old dodger has died. I suppose it would be more accurate to say I killed it, but I never loved it anyway. So...

While the weather still stinks and I can't get going on major drive shaft surgery(another thread) I have ordered supplies and oiled up the trusty Sailrite LSZ-1. I made the sail covers which came out ok, so why not a dodger? I laid out the old dodger for inspiration/patterns. Wow. It really was a cheap pos. I looked up the company that the PO bought it from. Without naming names, you get what you pay for. Raw seams, little or no hemming, and glass that was cheap to begin with. Now that I look at it, I wish I could order something from Iverson's. But with easily a $1,000 worth of shaft and engine surgery coming up plus a new job that involved a $30,000 pay cut, it ain't going to happen. Tell your kids not to be pilots.

I realize that stamoid might be better, but for this first, Mark 1 effort I'm going with Sunbrella. Total cost with snaps should be less than $400. Obviously, I have the frame already. Today I seam rip the old one, and tomorrow my order comes. This could be a (relatively) cheap learning experience. Let's see how badly I can mess this up.
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodger