Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-07-2014, 09:10   #1

A little corrosion(?) on my lifeline fittings. Concerned?

Going to replace my old worn out lifelines with dyneema. This is the bowrail tangs. There is a little bit of discoloration at the weld. Only on the aft end. Same on both sides.

Pondering having a welder put new tangs on. But really don't want any more tasks or money.

Would this concern you in the immediate future? I guess it could also find some split lugs to use vs getting it welded. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1405350585.121096.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	84982Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1405350611.080216.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	84983

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 14-07-2014, 09:35   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Re: A little corrosion(?) on my lifeline fittings. Concerned?

Sully...

I personally would polish her up and see if I could find any major pitting or deterioration of the base material in the tube... Looks like surface staining...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 11:17   #3

Boat: Valiant 42

If you use dyneema you don't absolutely have to use those welded loops. You can use the tee where the stanchion meets the rail. In fact many recommend not using the welded loops because the bend radius of the dyneema is too small and weakens the splice. Lash the dyneema and get rid of all the metal hardware is a good strategy.
Old 14-07-2014, 11:46   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Polish it up and passivate the area using an acid compound designed for that.

Then instead of relying on whether that joint is or isn't solid, think about winding some small cordage, or tubular webbing, around the rail and attaching a d-ring or similar fitting with that, so that your lifelines are tied into ring or fitting that is secured to the railing.

The result will be a fairly clean look and absolutely minimal expense. And there's always an odd hour or two to kill on a boat, which is when sailors find ways to do ropework of some kind anyway.
Old 14-07-2014, 12:04   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

I would not attach anything security related to any attachment point that carries any amount of rust AND especially when the rust is in a weld area.

Since you are thinking of a soft wire replacement, why not attach the line in an alternative way that NO WAY could fail?

b.
Old 14-07-2014, 15:42   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Looks like surface rust at this point. Clean it up and keep an eye on it. And secure the lifelines with neat lashings.

Ann
Old 14-07-2014, 17:53   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Typically what happens when a weld isn't polished/passivated. Clean it up and should be just fine. Tap it with a hammer just to be sure.
Old 14-07-2014, 18:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Sully...

I personally would polish her up and see if I could find any major pitting or deterioration of the base material in the tube... Looks like surface staining...
Agreed. You can also get some citric acid treatment to chemically passivate the stainless (citriSurf, $20 from the rust store).
Old 14-07-2014, 18:31   #9

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
Going to replace my old worn out lifelines with dyneema. This is the bowrail tangs. There is a little bit of discoloration at the weld. Only on the aft end. Same on both sides.

Pondering having a welder put new tangs on. But really don't want any more tasks or money.

Would this concern you in the immediate future? I guess it could also find some split lugs to use vs getting it welded. Attachment 84982Attachment 84983

I'm guessing that the old lifelines were stainless, with thimble and fastened through these tangs?
Possibly just staining from the old wire and/or thimble, polish the heck out of it and I'm betting you will never see any further rust.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 19:21   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That looks like the type of light rust that will come right off if you polish it with something like soft scrub or 3m Finesse IT or other things. Once you do, look at it with your eyeglass you use for charts.
Personally I avoid any acidic type of stuff attempting to re "passivate" it. I've tried it several times and I've found most often it rusts again really quick if you do that. Likely because the acid , without any controlled passivation process attacks the grain boundaries in the metal.
While cruising I learned to fresh wash when ever I got fuel or it rained and monthly just go around the boat with a rag and 3M Finesse it to remove all those rust spots. It mad a big difference, albeit another thing for the To Do list!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2014, 20:00   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
If you use dyneema you don't absolutely have to use those welded loops. You can use the tee where the stanchion meets the rail. In fact many recommend not using the welded loops because the bend radius of the dyneema is too small and weakens the splice. Lash the dyneema and get rid of all the metal hardware is a good strategy.
Definitely DON'T eye splice the dyneema straight to this... Lot's of good reads on min radii (ray-dee-eye)...lashing, thimbles... ie colligo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Looks like surface rust at this point. Clean it up and keep an eye on it. And secure the lifelines with neat lashings.
+1 Ann

Ann
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Typically what happens when a weld isn't polished/passivated. Clean it up and should be just fine. Tap it with a hammer just to be sure.
Like the hammer tap suggestion roverhi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
That looks like the type of light rust that will come right off if you polish it with something like soft scrub or 3m Finesse IT or other things. Once you do, look at it with your eyeglass you use for charts.
Personally I avoid any acidic type of stuff attempting to re "passivate" it. I've tried it several times and I've found most often it rusts again really quick if you do that. Likely because the acid , without any controlled passivation process attacks the grain boundaries in the metal.
While cruising I learned to fresh wash when ever I got fuel or it rained and monthly just go around the boat with a rag and 3M Finesse it to remove all those rust spots. It mad a big difference, albeit another thing for the To Do list!
Agreed against acid passivating stainless... if you can't polish it out, it's too deep to trust...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2014, 05:57   #12

Anyone have any suggestions for something I can bolt on to the bow rail to lash the lifelines to?

These are the bases but my inclination is to have them terminate near this fitting so that they are higher unless someone tells me a good reason not to. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1405425363.477481.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	85007

Old 15-07-2014, 06:59   #13

Boat: Valiant 42

You probably can lash to the pole. Can you do it so the old attachment loop is just used to prevent the lashing from sliding up or down on the pole? Maybe a couple of the lashing turns can go through the old loop. I can't see in that picture how the old lifeline attached.
Old 15-07-2014, 08:20   #14

Boat: Liberty 458

Discoloration on stainless is common when small impurities are present. Failure to properly chemically clean after welding, using contaminated consumables when welding or when something is attached which transfers impurities to the stainless.

Keeping stainless clean usually requires a bit of elbow grease. If there is no visible corrosion after cleaning the loops will work fine.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-07-2014, 09:21   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I typically ring hitch to the stantion itself but thru the old wire rings. This way the attachment point is to the main tube, but the rings hold it in place. In part the best way is determined by exactly what hardware is in place.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: