Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-09-2015, 18:41   #1

3M spray adhesives for sail repair

I'm thinking of using 3M spray adhesive to repair Hydra Net Radial sails without sewing. It seems there are 2 alternatives:

3M Super 77 Multipurpose Spray Adhesive Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive Aerosol, 24 fl oz Net Wt 16 3/4 oz - Shop3M
3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive Hi-Strength Spray Adhesive 90, Inverted 24 oz - Shop3M

Anyone tried? Which one would be better for permanent sail repair?

Old 19-09-2015, 20:39   #2

Boat: Contessa 32
Re: 3M spray adhesives for sail repair

I haven't tried either of these, but have you considered 3M 5200? It is said to be very effective for sail repair. See this article in the Cruising World: Stitch in Time: How to Repair Sails at Sea | Cruising World

Old 19-09-2015, 20:47   #3

Boat: Luders 36

I only know spray 77, which is good for making sails, meaning holding them together while sewing, yes, but it is like post it note strength, so not for sail repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-09-2015, 21:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
I haven't tried either of these, but have you considered 3M 5200? It is said to be very effective for sail repair.
I know about 3M 5200FC, but spray alternative would be much tidier solution. Plus could be stored longer, opened sealant tube will cure over time, spray won't.
3M Hi-Tack 76 Spray Adhesive also looks good http://m.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/...t=rud&MDR=true
Old 20-09-2015, 05:56   #5
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa

Both I and North Sails have tested a wide range of adhesives for sail repair usage. Those tests are where the 5200 recommendation comes from.

Regarding the various 3M sprays . . . . In the best case (a slick laminate surface with significant surface area - like a patch rather than a seam) they are satisfactory to hold the shear load but require perimeter stitching to prevent the edges from peeling up. They do not have enough strength to hold shear load on typical seam widths without stitching, because there is not enough surface area overlap.

Hydra net is the very worst case material for these sprays. It is a woven bumpy surface, and it contains very slipper dyneema fibers.

All in all I would suggest if you are trying to stick on a patch, it might hold for a while but would be better with edge stitching. If you are trying to do a seam, the 3M spray will hold the material for stitching but the stitching needs to be sufficient to hold the loads.
Old 20-09-2015, 07:48   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There is a very strong high bond tape like product, name escapes me at the moment, but it's what is used to hold on GoPro mounts and the bump rails on cars etc., seems completely waterproof and long lasting, and have you ever tried to remove a GoPro mount?
Maybe it's called 3M VHB tape?
I've never tried it on sails, but there is no drying time like there is for 5200.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 20-09-2015, 07:51   #7

Boat: Newport 28

I use 77 a lot on various projects...honestly you might get better results using duct tape. Definitely not for sail repair.
Old 20-09-2015, 08:30   #8

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsum View Post
I know about 3M 5200FC, but spray alternative would be much tidier solution. Plus could be stored longer, opened sealant tube will cure over time, spray won't.
3M Hi-Tack 76 Spray Adhesive also looks good Products:*3M„ Hi-Tack 76 Spray Adhesive Clear, Net Wt 18.1 oz, 12 cans per case
Put the tube in the fridge. Ive kept 3m 5200 fast cure and 4000UVfor over a year that way.
I can't help on mess advice. That takes a certain degree of finesse that some folks just dont have lol.
Old 20-09-2015, 10:46   #9

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
Put the tube in the fridge. Ive kept 3m 5200 fast cure and 4000UVfor over a year that way.
I can't help on mess advice. That takes a certain degree of finesse that some folks just dont have lol.
What's a fridge? Are they part of a house?
Old 20-09-2015, 11:33   #10
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

3M's VHB tape has no drying time, but they DO tell you to allow it to set for something like 24 hours before the bond is at full strength.

Couple of years ago I need to bond some poly "fabric" that next to nothing sticks to. Baffled at all the 3M choices, I called their 800#, and as usual, got an engineer and the advice for the most likely product. (Which they hadn't fully tested on that specific fabric at that time, either.)

And as usual, the folks at 3M knew their stuff. When in doubt, call them. If you know what you are trying to glue, they'll know which 3M product will work best--or not--with it.
Old 20-09-2015, 11:55   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38

Stitching a patch on is neither difficult nor time consuming, especially if you've already tacked the patch to the sail with adhesive. You can do it with the sail on the boat and hoisted with a person on either side to pass the needle back and forth in just a few minutes.

Place the patch exactly as you would if you were going to just use the adhesive. Stitch around the outside of the patch with a hem stitch (best), running stitch, or a backstitch, and then stitch over the actual sail tear with a over-under suture (like stitches on a wound). You can google these terms if they're not obvious.

Nothing to fear.
Old 20-09-2015, 22:07   #12

Location: Horseshoe Cove Sausalito/Currently in La Paz,BCS,Mex.
Boat: Ron Holland 43 Semi-custom Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
What's a fridge? Are they part of a house?
I'm going to assume that's a straight question and to head off any flaming you may get if read otherwise(which I doubt as the folks on CF are refreshingly polite) I'll respond.
You are partly right, a fridge can be found in a house,but most would agree it's not "part of a house".Fridge is short for refrigerator derived from the trademark name Frigidaire,the first self contained unit. In the USA the term "icebox" is sometimes used,a holdover name used when a large block of ice was put high in a insulated cabinet with the foodstuffs below. You don't hear it much these days,the term reefer was for boat use;maybe the term came from the marine reefer ships ?
Now ya know. You can find this info easily at the Wikipedia site.
Old 21-09-2015, 02:40   #13

Boat: First 44.7

I have heard about this adhesive product - DrSails | Fix it Easy!

Claim it can even be used under water !

It is the product VOR boats are using - I have not tryed it? Have anybody else?
Old 21-09-2015, 04:27   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
... Baffled at all the 3M choices, I called their 800#, and as usual, got an engineer and the advice for the most likely product ...
3M Customer Service ➥ 1-888-364-3577 (1-888-3M HELPS)
Web ➥ 3M Industrial Adhesives and Tapes Support Resources - Selector Tools Videos Technical News Articles Press Releases and Contact Us Information

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 12:13   #15

Thanks for all replies. What would be the best way to fix about 5cm tear in Hydra Net Radial 343 mainsail? What patch material should I use? Dacron? Hydra Net? Can I just glue the patch with 3M 5200FC? Or use dacron tape and bring sail to sail maker then possible? There is no sail maker around to stitch the patch at the moment. Tear location marked in red.

Tags
adhesive, sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: