Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-09-2015, 12:56   #16

Boat: First 44.7
Re: 3M spray adhesives for sail repair

If YouTube videos deliver what They promise, I would try this. When Volvo ocean race boats use it..... You and me can probably also. I have ordered a tube, hopefully get it tested next week. In the meantime I would use some spinnaker or other type of sail tape to seal the tear. I would only use a adhesive that is specially made for sail repair, not any multipurpose product...

Old 24-09-2015, 15:17   #17

I saw this Dr. Sail stuff. It is fast-curing epoxy based adhesive and it looks very similar to 3M Scotch-Weld EPX Epoxy Adhesive DP105: highly flexible, transparent epoxy adhesive, particularly for materials with different, high expansion factors. Fast curing allows for immediate handling of the bonded parts.

3M™ Scotch-Weld™ EPX Epoxy Adhesive DP105: Industrial Products for Maintenance and Repair: 3M Europe (English)

Old 24-09-2015, 16:27   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There's also Goop, a family of flexible-curing polyurethane adhesives that are damned good.

And Gorilla Glue makes a "rubber fortified" version of SuperGlue, which apparently is flexible, unlike the typical old stuff.

Pick your poison, see what you can find locally, try it on two pieces and then then to pull them apart after 48 hours. I REALLY doubt any of those adhesive companies will have any idea what that sailcloth is made of, and not knowing that, they can only guess at whether their products will work on it.
Old 24-09-2015, 16:59   #19

At least Dr. Sails have some adhesive properties for Mylar (n/mm2>0.2), Tafeta (n/mm2>0.82), Dacron (n/mm2>0.5), NS 3DI (n/mm2>0.99), so they made some tests on sail cloths. Any idea what these numbers indicate?
Old 24-09-2015, 17:55   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

n/mm2 would be bastard typography for "Newtons per square millimeter".

In other words, how many Newtons of force (like pounds of force, pounds on a torque wrench, etc.) something can withstand per each one millimeter square of bonded area.

There would be roughly 25x25 square millimeters (625 square millimeters) in one square inch. One newton per square millimeter equals something like 145 pounds per square inch.
Old 24-09-2015, 23:19   #21

Boat: Stevens 47

ipsum - if the tear is vertical,parallel to sail load, the field repair is simple enough.

-Use sailcloth (ideally samematerial as sail, but any Dacron at least 6oz will do) patch that at least aninch bigger in each dimension than the tear.

-Clean the patch area with acetone.Bond patch to the sail with Cyanoacrylate (super glue) or 3M 4200/5200 Fast Cure or flexible epoxy. Letcure.

-You want to be sure the edges staystuck – and the best way is handsewing, but your tear location makes thattough. An adhesive Dacron cover (sail repair tape), double the area of the patchshould serve as long the bond is good (old sail repair tape or poor qualityadhesive won’t do).

If the tear is horizontal, across theload path, the field repair is much the same but the patch needs to be much bigger;and probably best if done on both side and handsewn around the perimeter (1person on each side of sail makes it easier). The issue is that loadperpendicular to the tear creates high load points at the end of the tear.These points can exceed the sailcloth’s strength, causing the tear to get worseand starting a snowball effect.
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 05:24   #22
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa

That's a dead easy repair . . . . Low load area of the sail and looks like a clean tear.

Clean the area of the sail
Get it nice and flat and smooth with the tear edges all together
Put a piece of adhesive sail tape of each side
Rub with firm pressure over the sail tape to make sure it is all evenly stuck on
Do a very simple perimeter stitching right around the edges
Old 24-02-2016, 16:07   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsum View Post
At least Dr. Sails have some adhesive properties for Mylar (n/mm2>0.2), Tafeta (n/mm2>0.82), Dacron (n/mm2>0.5), NS 3DI (n/mm2>0.99), so they made some tests on sail cloths. Any idea what these numbers indicate?
@Dreyer and @Ipsum,

It's great to see sailors talking about DrSails. I'm the US Head of DrSails and I can answer your questions regarding DrSails properties and tutorials.

I have attached with this note DrSails technical data sheet with the shear strength test we run with different sailcloth material. For instance, Tafetta with Twaron1650 and Carbon 800 shear strength of N/mm2 >0.82 means that the bond withstand 0.82 Newtons of force before before the substrate torn apart. The ">" symbol means substrate, and not bond, breakage. Therefore, you have an idea of how strong yet flexible is the bond. As Ipsum mentioned, no other adhesive brand has disclosed this information since their performance is compromised when bonding sailcloth.

Finally, our goal is to provide cruiser with top-notch technology used by professional racers. This is the reason why we have been working on video tutorials to help you use DrSails. Feel free to visit our Youtube channel and, if you like it, subscribe!!!!

Should you require further information about DrSails, do not hesitate to contact me at vicenc@sailingtechnologies.com

Cheers,
Vicen
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DrSails Technical Data Sheet.pdf (329.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 24-02-2016, 17:43   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Ipsum,

As the kinda new owner of some Hydranet sails, I'm morbidly curious as to how you tore the sail? It seems so bloody tough...

And of course, I will be watching for what your method of choice is, and hopefully, how well it works.

Jim

Tags
adhesive, sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: