Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2017, 14:16   #31

Re: World Wide Pump Out?

River Thames 1.4 billion liters...

Thames water facing record fine for pouring raw sewage into River Thames | Metro News

You know, I was just curious and so started looking around. Now I wish I hadn't. Dirt dwellers make cruisers look like a drop in the bucket, if even.

Funny to me the bit about the Florida residents complaining. St Petersburg beaches are closed this week and it ain't because of a few cruisers...

http://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/a...-of-poop-water
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 15:03   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
To get back to the original question...Turkey is the only nation I know of that rigidly enforces their NDZ regs...they do it from the air, looking for cloudy water around a vessel that indicates a dumped tank, and the fines if you get caught are huge. Never mind that there isn't a single pumpout anywhere in Turkey...making necessary to up anchor and leave Turkey's territorial waters the only way to empty a tank.
WRONG!!! As far as I know every marina in Turkey has pump out facilities in Turkey. Even in the small town where called Fethiye/Muğla Port there are many
discharge outlets. And in Fethiye Bay every marina has them plus a pick up boat servicing for yachts at anchor.
Please. be informed. Regards from a retired yachtie.
the old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 15:12   #33

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
River Thames 1.4 billion liters...

Thames water facing record fine for pouring raw sewage into River Thames | Metro News

You know, I was just curious and so started looking around. Now I wish I hadn't. Dirt dwellers make cruisers look like a drop in the bucket, if even.

Funny to me the bit about the Florida residents complaining. St Petersburg beaches are closed this week and it ain't because of a few cruisers...

Florida beaches closed this weekend because of poop water | Blogs
Why do you say it isn't because of fellow cruisers? It happens because of the sum total of crap that flows into the ocean. Cruisers may only contribute a small percentage, but they are still part of the problem.

Just blaming the problem on a bigger source doesn't cut it.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 15:23   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
Why do you say it isn't because of fellow cruisers? It happens because of the sum total of crap that flows into the ocean. Cruisers may only contribute a small percentage, but they are still part of the problem.

Just blaming the problem on a bigger source doesn't cut it.
True.
Old 12-06-2017, 15:30   #35
Marine Service Provider

Obviously at least some of my information is obsolete! Thanks for the correction.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 16:00   #36

I mean true, cruisers contribute. But the beaches in St. Petersburg aren't closed because of a few cruisers, they're closed because of the city dumping millions of gallons of sewage into the bay.
Old 12-06-2017, 16:07   #37

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
I pee in the shower....
....which then discharges overboat....dont let the MIB catch you!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 16:15   #38

Boat: Currently boatless

Pacific-wise: As far as I know, there wasn't a single pump out station once you left Mexico heading West until you reached NZ/AUS.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 16:47   #39

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
the more i read about this, the more i'm leaning to a composting head.. my boat has a holding tank, soft bladder.. ..
Bear in mind though that "composting" toilets on boats really are not...they are dessicating toilets. Human disease pathogens dont survive a full composting process. However, dessicated waste I expect (dont know for sure) can hold viable pathogens...so you've still got disposal issue.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 17:40   #40

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

In the immortal words of Australian author and yottie Alan Lucas, "When the treatment plant discharges one hundred megaliters of sewage into the sea, it is an incident. When a yottie discharges one liter, it is a crime". OK, i may have slightly misquoted Alan,but the message is clear.

And for Kokanee,
Quote:
Small percentage? Let's see, the municipal folks dump "billions of liters" while the yottie dumps a very few liters, or thereabouts. That small percentage is something like one part in a BILLION. That is an unmeasurable contribution, so to say they "are still part of the problem" is BS. One way to consider being "part of a problem" is to examine what would happen if their contribution was totally removed. Does the removal change the outcome in any way? If not, they ain't part of the problem IMO, and that is surely the case here.

No politician ever won a vote saying "it is ok to crap in the water'. No bureaucrat ever has said "we won't enjoy the revenue stream generated by fining yotties for illegal discharge". It is entirely unlikely for these rules to be rationalized, but that does not make them logical, effective in solving water pollution issuses or fair to yotties.

Jim
Old 12-06-2017, 17:44   #41

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
Can you make a small slit in the top of the bladder and insert a hose to pump out the bladder?
How is it plumbed that it can't be emptied?
Vacuum hose at the local pump out does a great job sucking everything out of our waste bladder.
Appreciate that.. another option i hadn't considered or thought of.. all the best
Old 12-06-2017, 17:47   #42

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

For better or worse, the USA still leads the world in reducing pollution, but still gets hammered. We've lots of free do-it-yourself pump-out stations here.
Old 12-06-2017, 19:53   #43

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Fed. We've lots of free do-it-yourself pump-out stations here.
How many work? Who the hell maintains these things? Nobody. The self rightous should keep them working. They could get brownie points.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 22:34   #44
cruiser

Venice, Italy has always discharged all sewage untreated and directly into the canal system. Doesn't seem to bother the tourists on the gondola rides, the system seems to work fine, although I wouldn't recommend swimming in the canals.

Maybe some people are just a little too obsessed with treating, processing and discharging poop?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1260.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	149849  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 22:38   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Bondi Beach 4 million liters per day....

Raw sewage released near Bondi as decades of government dithering runs on

Surfs up!!!

Old Aussie joke: thought I was swimming at Bondi, but was just going through the motions...
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote