Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2015, 12:15   #1

woodstove (re)instalation

I have a tiny tot woodstove installed in my main cabin at the of the sette. It shortens the sette and makes it not able to be used as a bunk. I am contemplating raising it up so i can have a foot cubby under it and have the extra bunk space. The original owner/builder installed it as low as possible on the thought heat rises so low would better distribute the heat. The cabin is pretty small and i dont notice cold spots. What is the general thought out there, can i get away with raising it up and maybe adding one of those non-electric heat powered fans to spread the warmth around?

Thanks
Kenny
farm sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:50   #2

Re: woodstove (re)instalation

We heat our house with a wood stove. The wood stove is on a hearth about 18 inches off the floor. We raised the wood stove so we would be looking directly into the stove instead of down at the stove when sitting in the room. The wood stove is at the same height as the TV set which makes looking at each comfortable. The raised stove is also easier to load and clean.

We have a somewhat open floor plan and the heat from the stove moves around the house all by itself. If I dump a bit of smoke out of the stove, you can smell that smoke at the other end of the house quicker than I can walk, which tells me the heat moves around pretty fast.

The room with the stove is certainly warmer than the back bedrooms but it is not a big deal.

We have tried to run the ceiling fan in the room with the stove to see if that helps warm the room. It does but it makes you colder. With the ceiling fan in reverse, the room is warmer by a couple of degrees because the warm air on the ceiling is distributed to the lower levels. The problem is that we can feel the slight air movement and it makes us feel colder than if the ceiling fan was not running. We don't use the ceiling fans during cold weather.

Having said that, some people swear that the fans help keep them warmer, so try a small fan and see what works.

I would raise the stove based on what you are trying to do. The warm air is going to rise, and quickly, so I don't see the point of trying to warm the sole. The heat is not going to stay that low but rise up and slowly sink as the air cools.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 15:18   #3

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Used two woodheaters that have been raised like you are planning. Both worked fine. Maybe the floor was a bit colder, than it otherwise would have been, but both boats where still toasty warm.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 03-08-2015, 15:37   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Almost for sure your woodheater will be a radiant heater rather than a air heater. It will radite in all direction equally.

The air is heated only as a secondary consideration and providing there is movement in the cabin, it will not stratify.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:50   #5

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

The fans that spin using the heat from the stove work great but they aren't cheap. One of the pluses is that you can turn them the way you want. But the ones I have seen also can move around so not sure you could use one while underway. But that supposes you have an excellently balanced air intake and outflow so that you don't get smoke backing in to the cabin. Or worse, CO.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:37   #6

There are at least two other reasons for mounting a wood stove low on a boat that I know of.

1) overhead heat clearance. Make sure you have adequate over head heat clearance on the stove based on your local guidelines. This can be reduced with adequate heat shielding. Just make sure you do your homework.

2) The other reason to mount low might be to ensure adequate flue length. A shorter chimney could result in down drafting, not good, especially if you're burning charcoal=co poisoning. Contact the folks at tiny tot, they'll give recommendations on minimum chimney length.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:39   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post

2) The other reason to mount low might be to ensure adequate flue length. A shorter chimney could result in down drafting, not good, especially if you're burning charcoal=co poisoning. Contact the folks at tiny tot, they'll give recommendations on minimum chimney length.
I was just about to post this. This is probably the biggy you need to check.
Old 04-08-2015, 14:57   #8
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Yep, flue length might be a show stopper although extending the flue outside may be a possibility (assuming deck and rigging space etc).

Depends at lot on your existing set up and whether you need to use stove underway or only at anchor.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 16:56   #9

Hasn't been a problem on the two setups I've used. Though more flue height is always going to help prevent backdrafting and ease lighting up the fire.

An insulated flue above deck should really help it draw, prevent creosote buildup and be safer. Fibreglass insulation wrap with An outside layer of stainless would work well.

An extended flue is great for at anchor, gets the smoke away from the deck.
A CO detector is a damn good idea!

Old 04-08-2015, 17:03   #10

Tiny tots are sexy little stoves, if you can't find a way to install, pm me, although shipping might be a deal breaker.

Old 04-08-2015, 17:04   #11

Both systems had short flues, under the boom. And stoves mounted higher than the settee. They draw, and no extended flue was needed. Occasionally they backdraft, if sailing. Or in gusty anchorages. Par for the course with most diesel or wood heaters using unballanced flues, the only way round this is very long well insulated chimneys or a closed loop system that draws air from outside near the flue.

Cover the deckhead in thin stainless with an airgap all around to keep it cool.

Old 04-08-2015, 17:09   #12

Snow, any chance we could see a pic of your setup?

Old 04-08-2015, 17:16   #13

Might be able to find one tonight. On snowpea 1 it mounted low to warm my feet ( got trenchfoot in Antarctica... ) and I designed the layout to suit this. But a mates boat had his mounted over the settee with no issues, and my parent boat also has theirs raised with a woodbox under it, both worked well. But of course each boat is different, and our expectations vary, and a floor mount in theory would be more optimal... You can see a few pics of my old stove on my blog.

Just one more point, insulate under the stove, otherwise you risk a sleeping bag fire!

Old 04-08-2015, 17:32   #14

Sweet, I'm working on a heating upgrade. This Friday is calling for a low of 7c. I'm not a cruiser by most definitions, more of a weekend warrior, but we have 8 days in September planned sailing and expect overnight lows around freezing, and then another 8 days in October when we will likely have snow.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:49   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Snow, any chance we could see a pic of your setup?
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0034.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	106747

Name:	PICT0003.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	106748

Name:	PICT0006.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	106749
Not my setup. This was on a mates boat, a great little gaff rigged 28 foot Tom Thumb. I sailed her from Hobart to Sydney and back from Coffs hbr. The stove worked great, even though it was a simple homemade one. She was flush decked so the flue went straight up and was bent so it could be swung overboard to stop creosote dripping on the decks. He used a big flue, about 3.5- 4 inch.

Name:	antartic preps 043.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	106750
Heres the only photo I can find of my folks Stove. Its hidden behind the xmas tree, and not being used due to xmas being very warm in Hobart, for you northern hemisphere types! Underneith it is a wood box. The flue is 2 1/2 inch pipe, and cokes up quite badly, needing to be cleaned once a month or so, but it draws fine. occasionally a small puff of smoke will spurt out, and every once and a while it will have a big fit and belch a decent chunk of smoke back. But this is usually when the stove is damped down to much in nasty windy weather. The flue is only about 1 foot above the cabin top, and well under the boom.

Name:	IMG_0932.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	418.8 KB
ID:	106755

Name:	PICT0098.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	445.5 KB
ID:	106756
In these photos you should be able to see the flues on both boats.

As always be careful with any sort of stove, and our homemade ones need a bit of common-sense in installation and use. A good Idea is to run them up to red hot with a full load of wood and an extinguisher handy and make sure none of the surrounding wood or other flammable objects gets too hot to touch comfortably. Coal is nasty hot... can damn near melt steel with it if you are not careful!