Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2011, 19:37   #1

Winter Drain Screw Corroded in Seacock

Hello,

I have a bristol 35.5 and the winter drain screw threads on one of my seacocks corroded to the point where the threads came off.

the rest of the seacock looks in good shape. Can I try to simply replace the screw or is this a red flag that the seacock will be a problem?

Can anyone tell me what kind of seacock this is so I can try to find a replacement screw? (I tried to attach a picture)

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00044-20110427-2015[1].jpg
Views:	260
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	26763  
shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 19:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Winter drain screw corroded in Seacock

Brush the cobwebs off your wallet and buy/fit a new seacock....
Its cheaper than a new boat....
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 20:19   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Winter drain screw corroded in Seacock

If the boat's in the water and the seacock can be closed without a lot of effort, chase the threads with the proper sized tap, replace the screw with a bronze not brass one.
On the other hand, if the thruhull won't close, is really stiff etc, it might be time to at least disassemble it, clean and inspect to see if it's a goner.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 18:58   #4

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: Winter Drain Screw Corroded in Seacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
Can anyone tell me what kind of seacock this is so I can try to find a replacement screw?
It looks to me like either Wilcox-Crittenden or Spartan. Are there any markings on the body?
Old 01-05-2011, 19:01   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

CRAP! I keep forgetting that it actually freezes where other people live! Carry-on!
Old 07-06-2011, 15:20   #6

Ziggy you hit the nail on the Head! It's a Spartan. I called them up and they shipped out some new screws. i cleaned the threads with a tap and they work great.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2011, 17:10   #7

Boat: Currently boatless

Glad it worked out. Spartan seacocks will last forever especially if you give them some grease from time to time.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 20:54   #8

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Shamrock -- I also have a Bristol (great boat!) with Spartan seacocks throughout. Most have bonding wires attached to the screws you mentioned. I was attempting to clean these connections the other day when I lost a screw to those ever-eager "Bilge-Gods," if you know what I mean. Anyway, it was good to hear Spartan will provide replacement screws. Also good to hear their seacocks are built to last!

My question is whether these are actually bleed screws for winterizing, or instead just attachment points for bonding wire. I assumed, like you, that it was the former, but when I mistakenly opened the seacock with the screw out, it remained dry. Maybe it's just stuffed with corrosion/debris. Any thoughts?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 21:41   #9

They are definitely drain screws but some of mine are also bonded that way. I've noticed new seacocks have small bolts screwed into the flange and I think that's what they are for.

Be sure to measure the screw. Mine was 12-24 metric and they did not have many of them. Let me know if they are out as I have a couple of extra.
There is probably grease blocking the drain hole. With the barrel in the closed position, stick a hanger wire in there and see what happens. I had a hard time getting the new screw in until I cleaned out the threads with a tap.

question, are yours on a backing plate and bolted to the hull? As you can see in my picture, mine are just screwed to the thru hull witH no bolts. I Think if the hull is an inch thick, it's not a concern. Can't imagine Bristol taking short cuts with the thru hulls. And the ply wood certainly would not have lasted 30 years.
Old 26-06-2011, 22:00   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

It should be mounted to a backing plate and bolted through the hull. The way yours is installed there would be no way to shut off the water if the thru-hull fails. There is a drawing of the proper installation in the Sparton catalog: Spartan Marine Hardware Catalog Click on Seacocks. On a hull that thick with a small seacock maybe you can get away without the backing plate but it does need to be fastened to the hull. Why not just do it right? You can use a piece of Starboard as a backing place and never worry about rot.
Old 26-06-2011, 22:10   #11

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
They are definitely drain screws but some of mine are also bonded that way. I've noticed new seacocks have small bolts screwed into the flange and I think that's what they are for.

Be sure to measure the screw. Mine was 12-24 metric and they did not have many of them. Let me know if they are out as I have a couple of extra.
There is probably grease blocking the drain hole. With the barrel in the closed position, stick a hanger wire in there and see what happens. I had a hard time getting the new screw in until I cleaned out the threads with a tap.

question, are yours on a backing plate and bolted to the hull? As you can see in my picture, mine are just screwed to the thru hull witH no bolts. I Think if the hull is an inch thick, it's not a concern. Can't imagine Bristol taking short cuts with the thru hulls. And the ply wood certainly would not have lasted 30 years.
Thanks for the advice & generous offer. Only on a boat could losing a small screw become such a deal! Unfortunately, I'm about 2,000 miles away from my boat right now but I believe all of my seacocks have proper backing plates. You're right, yours doesn't look like something that came from the factory. With an older boat, could have been any misguided owner or tech along the way. In fact, I'm just looking forward to the day when I can start fixing things that I screwed up or wore out rather than someone who did something evil before my time!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote