Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2004, 23:28   #1

Wind Watermaker

I was having an idle thought the other evening whilst doing a boring sanding job, I wonder if anyone has had a go at building a wind powered water maker. I have seen the tow behind types but have never heard anything positive about them.
My idea was a multi vane prop turning a reduction gearbox driving small reciprocating pistons to provide the pressure for the osmosis filters what do you think? would it work? I have attached a rough sketch of how it may work shane
troppoboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2004, 00:53   #2

You might want to visit the forum below as there has been some comment about the towable product, which apparently does have a wind-driven supplemental system as an option.

Visit http://www.sailboatowners.com/forums/menu.tpl?fno=21 and use their archive search function. The discussion was only a few weeks ago, as I recall.

Water being 800 times denser than air, it intuitively seems to me that there will be much lower output for a given time period.

Jack
European Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 13:02   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
towed watermaker

Followed your link to the catalina owners, but was unable to find any discussion on watermakers. I would really like to discuss the towed watermaker with someone who has actual experience with it,
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
watermaker