Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 13:06   #1

Boat: Adams 40 - Gundy Grey
Will my LPG Stove work with Butane

I'm planning a trip to New Caledonia and have read that LPG (what I currently have on my boat) is not available, only Butane. Couple of question.

Will my Broadwater Stove, which normally operates on LPG, also operate on Butane?

Are the gas bottle fitting different and if so, are there adaptors available?
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 14:17   #2

Re: Will my LPG Stove work with Butane

As you know LPG stands for liquid propane gas.
Cookers (at least in Europe) see no difference between Propane or butane.
I use butane in summer, it is a tad cheaper and propane in winter as it does not freeze (in a moderate climate) unlike butane.

French do not allow refills, it is clearly illegal (but gypsies do it on a regular basis, even toping up from LPG filling stations for cars), boaties do it also, at their own risks.
That's for Europe.

You can buy locally light composite cylinders, core is quite cheap, several brands compete on this market, one brand makes those "cylinders" square, save space.
Pressure regulators are proprietary design for each brand and just clip in onto cylinder.
The good news, the length of rubber pipe between cylinder and cooker is not metric.
French use non metric thread to make it fool proof.
In popular culture it is referred as a gaz thread (pas gaz).
(prevent idiots from using couplers designed for water).

From a regular plumber supply shop you should be able to find a coupler to interface with yours.
Claude_Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 14:28   #3

Thanks Claude_Marie, It's good to know the stove will handle both gas types. I'll get in contact with a local gas tradesperson and find out about the fittings.

Cheers
Old 11-05-2015, 14:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
Thanks Claude_Marie, It's good to know the stove will handle both gas types. I'll get in contact with a local gas tradesperson and find out about the fittings.

Cheers
Butagaz sells a 10kg squarish cylinder "see through", so you can see level.
http://m.butagaz.fr/nos-produits/gaz...tane-10kg.html
Butagaz Viseo, core is 29€.
Once empty, bring it back and you get another one (full ) always in perfect condition, proofed.
I have checked Butagaz has dealers in Polynesia also.
Old 11-05-2015, 15:36   #5

Thanks again Claude_Marie. It sounds like the simplest option would be to get one of their cylinders when I first arrive in New Caledonia and use it until I'm ready to depart to New Zealand.

Cheers
Old 11-05-2015, 15:56   #6

Quote:
Thanks again Claude_Marie. It sounds like the simplest option would be to get one of their cylinders when I first arrive in New Caledonia and use it until I'm ready to depart to New Zealand.

Cheers
Dunno,

Maybe, you can keep this composite cylinder and have it refilled (where it is legal to refill) ?
There are very light and off course rust proof.

French "gaz" thread is a non metric BSP (British Standard Pipe) thread.
common dimensions :
1/4" BSP
1/2" BSP
Old 11-05-2015, 16:08   #7

They sell the composite cylinders in Australia so I would image that New Zealand (who uses a lot of the same standards) would also have and allow refills.
Old 11-05-2015, 16:18   #8

Quote:
They sell the composite cylinders in Australia so I would image that New Zealand (who uses a lot of the same standards) would also have and allow refills.
See my previous post, I have Edited about "gaz" thread.
Thanks to your question, now I know that Frog Gaz thread is a Brit BSP thread.

I did not know about composite cylinders in Australia, it seems there are not very popular in the US.
Good luck with NZ.
Old 11-05-2015, 17:32   #9

Boat: currently boatless

Hi Gundy,
I think the first thing I would be doing is contacting the maker of your stove (if available) and checking with them. The second suggestion I would be making is if you have insurance contact the company and ask if this as acceptable to them.
There are subtle differences in stoves that use different gases and the one I know stipulate only to use the recommended gas. We are not only talking what gas you can use we are also talking the safety of yourself and your boat. Please get an expert opinion to ensure your own safety.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 18:05   #10
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
…..

Will my Broadwater Stove, which normally operates on LPG, also operate on Butane?…...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Hi Gundy,
I think the first thing I would be doing is contacting the maker of your stove (if available) and checking with them. The second suggestion I would be making is if you have insurance contact the company and ask if this as acceptable to them.
There are subtle differences in stoves that use different gases and the one I know stipulate only to use the recommended gas. We are not only talking what gas you can use we are also talking the safety of yourself and your boat. Please get an expert opinion to ensure your own safety.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Good advice from Ozsailer but at least ask a local knowledgeable gas fitter (not just a re-skilled plumber). There should be a few around Mooloolaba!

I'm guessing that you won't need to re-jet your burners but you may need to adjust the air supply part of the burner - often just a small trim screw.

Proceed carefully IMO.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 18:17   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

Butane and propane are interchangeable as far as your stove is concerned so there is no need to check with the manufacturer.

I agree that the best bet is to buy the tank when you get there, and whatever adapter you need, and then unload it when you leave. I've had to do that in a couple of places, in part because they would only fill "official" tanks. If others can confirm that there is more flexibility in New Caledonia, then perhaps you have other options, but be ready to fall back to that.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 23:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
At

I'm guessing that you won't need to re-jet your burners but you may need to adjust the air supply part of the burner - often just a small trim screw.

Proceed carefully IMO.
At the countryside, when no gaz grid access available a lot of people rely on gaz cylinders for cooking.

Cylinders are stored outside, or in ventilated lockers for obvious safety reasons.
Butane freezes when temperatures drop, Propane does not.

It is common practice to switch from Butane to Propane.

No adjustment needed.

The only noticeable difference is that the flame of butane is a bit more yellowish.
It can be seen only in total darkness.

Should an air adjustment be needed either the bottom of sauce pans would turn black : Not enough air-poor combustion (rich) = soot.
Not the case.

If too much air, when on turn down position, flamme would go out (lean combustion).
It does not either.

The adjusting screw is often hidden inside the axis of the gaz tap/knob.
You need to pull the plastic knob to get access to it.

You are not likely to find a (true) professional ready to adjust anything on a cooker from an "alien" origin, unknown to him.

A plumbing job is totally different, and again, plumbers are used to non metric couplers.

But again, this will not be necessary to adjust the cooker.
(I am talking, of course, of cookers perfectly maintained, clean gaz burners, properly adjusted air/gaz ratio with a blue flamme, NOT yellow).

Still, it is a good idea, prior to a long trip to get your gaz installation, from cylinder to cooker inspected in your home port, prior to depart.
Old 11-05-2015, 23:19   #13

Boat: Westerly Sealord

LPG = Liquified Petroleum Gas... can be butane, propane or a blend ( which is what I think is the norm in Oz).

How long are you going for ? How much gas can you carry?

I have three of these... STPV - Mariner LPG Cylinder, two are now 20 year old, one is about 14...not cheap but good kit.

No problems filling them in Papeete last year.... just a bit of a fussy business... leave at local Mobil servo for collection and they were back within a week.
I suspect New Cal is similar situation.
Old 11-05-2015, 23:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post

I agree that the best bet is to buy the tank when you get there, and whatever adapter you need, and then unload it when you leave. I've had to do that in a couple of places, in part because they would only fill "official" tanks. If others can confirm that there is more flexibility in New Caledonia, then perhaps you have other options, but be ready to fall back to that.
You will not find adapters "off the shelf".
There are not available, because refilling from one cylinder to another is illegal.
The system goes this way (as I explained already) : you buy a cylinder and pay a core (29€ for the 10kg of gaz in the composite Viseo for instance).
When empty, bring back and collect a new one full.
Refilling of gaz cylinders takes place only in authorised gaz plants meeting strict safety standards.

So the answer is to have your existing gaz coupler converted with a "made to measure" (and removable) interface between French standard rubber pipe and solid copper pipe of your boat.

Rubber pipes from gaz pressure adjuster to solid gaz pipe exist in two grades :
Stainless braided, life time guaranteed (and expensive).
or
Regular rubber in a white colour with a blue line (so you can check that it does not get twisted).
Life span is 5 years, there a date printed, as of today, it will be replace before 2020.
Go for the cheap white rubber.
Edit : 10 years.
http://www.negoce-habitat.fr/accesso...250000962.html
Old 11-05-2015, 23:34   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
LPG = Liquified Petroleum Gas... can be butane, propane or a blend ( which is what I think is the norm in Oz).

Absolutely, correct !
I forgot about this, LPG for cars available from petrol station sees its ratio of propane versus butane changing between summer and winter.
In winter time, there is more propane into the mix in order to avoid freezing.

Tahiti...are you sure you got "your" original cylinder back (and refilled), I would bet it was not yours, but another one refilled, hence the week delay for back and forth transportation.