Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 07:20   #16

Boat: Mason 44
Re: Why is initial product water from watermakers saline?

I have asked the same question in my mind before. Finally I open up my water maker and look at the construction so here is my 2 cents worth.

The membrane cannot allow sea water through . So the product water that comes out initially before the high pressure is applied, come from the supply side of sea water that by pass the small O ring .

These small O rings will kick into action of sealing the outer and inner membrane when the pressure builds up inside.

I make this observation - when there is only pressure from the feed pump small amount of sea water will flow through the product side. The minute I turn up a bit of pressure on the discharge side, immediately the product water stops or leak out smaller amount coming out . These water will increase when I increase the pressure alot more until I reach 800 psi.

I doubt sea water can flow easily through the membrane without the high pressure. the salt water on the product can only leak through the small O ring side.

IMHO 2 cents . what do you think ?

ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:16   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Why is initial product water from watermakers saline?

It's possible. I have engineered high pressure water devices to ~8000 psi, and some pressure does help the Oring seal. It doesn't take much though. Most Oring grooves are machined wider than the Oring to allow it to flatten a bit in contact with the sealing surface. SO when the pressure hits it it slides to one end of the groove sealing. But I dont think the amount is significant at all. I never worried about initial product water bypass on my watermaker.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker