Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2018, 10:58   #106
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Wo provides the best 12 volt refrigeration systems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
How do you plan on controlling the spillover refrigerator temperature?
adjustable spillover holes in the divider one low one high and an electronic thermostat on the freezer side.
May add a thermostat controlled fan to circulate air between the two via ducting hadn't decided on the final design yet.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:13   #107

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have found on mine which is 14 cu Ft total that a very small computer fan blowing down into the freezer section will cause enough cold air to flow into the fridge side that over night the fridge side will be below freezing.
I intend to use a cheap thermostat to turn on and off this fan, no need for ducting etc.
Iíve not actually needed one, I have been able to control temps nicely with just two 2Ē holes in the bottom of the divider, but I want a fan for when I toss in the warm watermelon etc to keep the fridge from getting warmer than I like.
The passive flow through holes of course canít ramp up cooling like a thermostatically controlled fan can.
Of course this will mean that my freezer will warm some, so I will have to watch that and why I want just a tiny fan.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:38   #108
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have found on mine which is 14 cu Ft total that a very small computer fan blowing down into the freezer section will cause enough cold air to flow into the fridge side that over night the fridge side will be below freezing.
I intend to use a cheap thermostat to turn on and off this fan, no need for ducting etc.
Iíve not actually needed one, I have been able to control temps nicely with just two 2Ē holes in the bottom of the divider, but I want a fan for when I toss in the warm watermelon etc to keep the fridge from getting warmer than I like.
The passive flow through holes of course canít ramp up cooling like a thermostatically controlled fan can.
Of course this will mean that my freezer will warm some, so I will have to watch that and why I want just a tiny fan.
that is very similar to what I have in mind using a small fan like on a computer CPU controlled by an electronic stat in the refer side.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:11   #109
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by STPABR View Post
Richard Kollman it is great to see you here! I thank you for your writing, website and knowledge. Having purchased a 1983 CaboRico 38 3 years ago and starting a 3 year refit, your knowledge allowed me to utilize the existing Adler Barbour Cold Machine, which was new enough to have R134.
After removing the evaporator box to rebuild the ice box and unknowingly loosing all the refrigerant, I had a home AC company come and evacuate and re-charge the system. I came across your website and did some research and found they had overcharged the system do to the lines frosting all the way to the compressor. Using your guidance, I was able to buy a automotive style single gauge and R134 can and bleed off the overcharge and re-charge to an 80% frost level. The system has been running for 2 straight years, until yesterday.
While pulling unused wire from the wiring harness, I pulled the Negative cable from the PC Board. After replacing it, I found the Thermostat receptacle on the PC Board had split apart and allowed the Thermostat phone cord to come out. Attempting to repair the female part, the Red and black wire shorted and burned uo the plug wire. I cut the female plug out of the system and did a "thermostat Bypass" test, with no luck.
Working at a Full Service marina, I found a spare module and was able to swap out the module, and connect the Yellow and Blue thermostat wire straight to the module. Results successful.

While researching replacement systems, I came across FrigOboat system, also several friends have this system. Specifically the Capri 50F with Speed board and Guardian Speed controller with digital thermostat. Frigoboat

My question to you is since I need to buy a new Module, can I add their Merlin speed controller and Guardian Thermostat and update my system? Can I just eliminate Dometic's PC Board?

"The Ultimate Combo! ‐ Guardian plus Merlin: Gives operator full system
temperature control and diagnostics, plus the choice of using either the automatic speed routine of Merlin, or manual speed override."

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!
If you are an armchair sailor who is not really worried about dependable refrigeration then go for the attractive marketing gadgets like electronic thermostats, electric temperature indicators. The Merlin board smart speed controller although too expensive is the only gadget that makes sense.

The Frigoboat Capri 50 is a good system much like the Adler Barbour cold machine before the external sales marketing circuit board was added. The only problem with the basic gadget free Capri is the possible life of line connector O ring seals.

Yes. you can install a Merlin speed board on the Adler Barbour CU machine if there is enough space between the external not needed circuit board and module. If there is not enough room you can dispose of circuit board per my tech tip #1.

As far as The Ultimate Combo, I prefer first reliable simple refrigeration.

If you spend time connected to shore power I would purchase an AC/ DC module.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 15:33   #110

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wo provides the best 12 volt refrigeration systems?

Take a look at the Stainless Lobster.
https://stainlesslobster.com/fridge-optimizer

Now when I worked on and designed and test flew aircraft, I turned the KISS principle around, I used to say, if itís simple and it works, itís not stupid.
I like simple, mechanical things that I can understand and fix.

Having said that, the Stainless Lobster impressed me, in particular its ability to both increase compressor speed and decrease temp set point when the batteries were being charged like in the day when Solar is making power, and increasing set point and slowing down compressor speed during the night when you discharging from the battery bank, made a whole lot of sense to me, additionally it lays on top of if you will existing hardware so itís very easy to disconnect and go back to original if you need or want to. Literally a two minute job requiring no tools.

I have one, and itís for sale in the classified section. See, I found out that while itís likely as slick as snot for a thin plate evaporator system, itís features are not applicable to a Cool Blue Cold Plate system.

But if you have a thin plate evaporator system and especially if it isnít running the compressor at high speed as a default, then it will work wonders for you. Tells you your duty cycle and how many AH you consume as well, as long as you donít have a TXV, if you do, then the energy consumption likely wonít be accurate.
Old 11-08-2018, 16:22   #111
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Take a look at the Stainless Lobster.
https://stainlesslobster.com/fridge-optimizer

Now when I worked on and designed and test flew aircraft, I turned the KISS principle around, I used to say, if it’s simple and it works, it’s not stupid.
I like simple, mechanical things that I can understand and fix.

Having said that, the Stainless Lobster impressed me, in particular its ability to both increase compressor speed and decrease temp set point when the batteries were being charged like in the day when Solar is making power, and increasing set point and slowing down compressor speed during the night when you discharging from the battery bank, made a whole lot of sense to me, additionally it lays on top of if you will existing hardware so it’s very easy to disconnect and go back to original if you need or want to. Literally a two minute job requiring no tools.

I have one, and it’s for sale in the classified section. See, I found out that while it’s likely as slick as snot for a thin plate evaporator system, it’s features are not applicable to a Cool Blue Cold Plate system.

But if you have a thin plate evaporator system and especially if it isn’t running the compressor at high speed as a default, then it will work wonders for you. Tells you your duty cycle and how many AH you consume as well, as long as you don’t have a TXV, if you do, then the energy consumption likely won’t be accurate.
says is compatible with holding plate systems.
But at $250 it should make the morning coffee to.
Old 11-08-2018, 16:38   #112

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It does work with a holding plate, but Iíll try to explain why itís not optimal.

1. The ability to increase compressor speed when charging.
The Cool Blue by default is running at full speed, you canít go faster than wide open, so you have to set the default to high speed, luckily the software does allow this.
2. Decrease set point temp during charging.
In order to keep from cycling back and forth because of voltage change when the compressor starts, the set point temp is only looked at by the computer during start up, a cold plates cycle times are long, maybe hours long, so it could be hours after you have begun to charge before it goes to restart and sees lower set point, then because of the lower set point, I can assure you that it will run for hours possibly well into the night before the lower set point is reached.
3. Total AH used.
Itís determined by the published current consumption that Secop publishes for their compressors at the requested speed, it is not measured, itís calculated. If you have a TXV then the demand is very often much, much lower than published. For example I think my BD80 consumption is published to be about 15 amps, but the TXV often has it lower than 6 amps.
4. automatic defrost
You canít of course automatically defrost a freezers cold plate, you can of course do so a refrigerators thin evaporator plate.

So I quickly came to the conclusion that this thing is likely a brilliant piece of well made kit for a thin plate refrigerator, just itís not the right tool for the job for a cold plate freezer, it works just the features that make it such an upgrade for a thin plate fridge donít work. Itís just the wrong tool for the job, so Iím selling it.

It is well made and the people who make and sell it are full time cruisers, answer the phone and emails and support their product well, it just didnít fit my needs is all.

Iím selling mine well below $250.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:33   #113
Marine Service Provider

Boat: "Arapaho"

Quote:
When you select a eutectic plate that is the same as any evaporator in that it absorbs heat from a box area and disposes of it.

Yes but a eutectic plate absorbs heat constantly 24/7, not just when the compressor is running. Therefore a correctly operating eutectic plate will service a much greater cabinet size than a thin cyclic plate with the same surface area.

In selecting an evaporator you are interested in rate of heat absorbed by surface area of this evaporator. The primary reason for large volumes of eutectic solution in a eutectic plate is to storing available surplus energy.

Absolutely and the compressor running to achieve this Ďstored energyí can occur when power is abundant, (excess solar for example) greatly reducing battery demand. Then there is the further energy saving of a eutectic system requiring far less inefficient start ups per day!

I have to apologize My earlier math was wrong your planed eutectic plate contains enough eutectic solution to qualify as a cycling eutectic plate actually storing 1570 btu of energy. The heat conductivity plate surface area is still lacking No it is not.. see below!but there is a solution for this by mounting plate on one inch standoff brackets allowing box natural air tumbling over both flat surfaces of plate.

Agree that standoff is require , but a check will see that all Ozefridge eutectic plates and thin cyclic plates have a 15mm offset from the wall mounting..See pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear mount.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	175268

Your planed box insulation is going to be adequate if moisture is kept out of it.

Cheers OzePete Ozefridge | 12 Volt Refrigeration Systems
OzePete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:16   #114
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzePete View Post
Yes, we do agree these systems are energy efficient as long as FREE alternative energy is available from sun and wind. Without alternative energy and using proper size standard evaporator and correct compressor speed there would be no real measurable difference between these types of evaporators. Definitely not as you claim Superiority difference over other manufacturers icebox conversion refrigeration systems.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:21   #115

Since afaik he hasn't mentioned that claim in quite some time, why bring it up here and now?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:30   #116
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
. Definitely not as you claim Superiority difference over other manufacturers icebox conversion refrigeration systems.
no need to stir
Old 12-08-2018, 16:04   #117
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ok Pete one biggie tvx or cap tube?
Old 12-08-2018, 16:17   #118
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Ok Pete one biggie tvx or cap tube?
Capillary tube, the only way to go!

I should add that uniquely the Ozefridge unit operates within a controlled condenser temperature range thus eliminating concerns about varying environment temperatures.

Cheers OzePete Ozefridge | 12 Volt Refrigeration Systems
Old 12-08-2018, 16:46   #119

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Search Google for
ďThermal expansion valves effect on efficiencyĒ or similar and do a little light reading.
Old 12-08-2018, 17:09   #120
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Search Google for
“Thermal expansion valves effect on efficiency” or similar and do a little light reading.
lol... Thanks for the tip but after more than 5 decades building systems with these and other throttling devices, I doubt that there is much more this old brain can absorb!

Both TEV and Capillary systems have advantages and disadvantages. TEVs are most dominant on larger systems for various reasons while nearly all smaller systems like domestic, air-cons, marine and portable refrigerators / freezer are capillary throttled and also for very good reasons. There is an estimated 70+million units built world wide each year, nearly all are capillary.

Cheers OzePete

Tags
refrigeration