Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2018, 18:18   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Wo provides the best 12 volt refrigeration systems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzePete View Post
Hi Newhaul,
Your proposed fridge / freezer cabinet dimensions and insulation factor suits the use of an Ozefridge A480 12VDC refrigeration condensing unit coupled to a model 53-35-4 Stainless steel eutectic plate. This eutectic plate is 530mm X 350 x 40 thickness overall. The 40mm thickness is 25mm (1") tank thickness with 15mm rear offset from the wall to also allow cooling from behind. Full details of this package at our web site.

Thanks to a favourable dollar exchange rate, this complete package would cost US$1492.00 including UPS delivery to 98443. (Not including any local tax)
Delivery to your US address is usually 10 days from order.

Click on picture to expand.
Attachment 175214Attachment 175215

Cheers OzePete Ozefridge | 12 Volt Refrigeration Systems
forgot one mention the lines need to be approx 20 ft long to reach the compartment that I would put the compressor unit in. Is this possible with your system?
Old 10-08-2018, 18:28   #92

Sundanzer
johnserr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 18:35   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzePete View Post
I think you may have misunderstood the poster. Only TX valve systems (must) have a receiver. A receiver acts like a storage area to accommodate the variation of refrigerant as the TX valve modulates. Capillary systems are much simpler not needing a receiver, sight glass or TX valve but both system types need a suction accumulator.

The suction accumulator should cause any un-evaporated refrigerant (Liquid) to evaporate before returning to the compressor.

I did I guess sort of misunderstand. My mistake was in explaining the purpose of a receiver / drier, I used the term accumulator, which of course does exist with that name on the low pressure side of a cap tube system as opposed to the high pressure side of an expansion valve system.

My point though was to bring up that an expansion valve system is much more tolerant of excess refrigerant than a cap tube system, making the recharging of one for an owner much easier.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 18:36   #94
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
forgot one mention the lines need to be approx 20 ft long to reach the compartment that I would put the compressor unit in. Is this possible with your system?
Simply requires a pipe run extension kit. This would add approx $90 to the project.
Such a long pipe run needs to be reasonably horizontal as in it doesn't travel up and over a doorway for example!
Cheers OzePete
OzePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 18:46   #95
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I did I guess sort of misunderstand. My mistake was in explaining the purpose of a receiver / drier, I used the term accumulator, which of course does exist with that name on the low pressure side of a cap tube system as opposed to the high pressure side of an expansion valve system.

My point though was to bring up that an expansion valve system is much more tolerant of excess refrigerant than a cap tube system, making the recharging of one for an owner much easier.
Just to make it clear, a receiver and an accumulator are different animals doing vastly different things. A receiver is needed on TX valve systems and is located in the liquid line prior to the valve, whereas an accumulator is basically an 'evaporation chamber' and is only located after the evaporator and prior to or part of the suction line on all system types. I hope this is understandable!

Cheers OzePete
Old 10-08-2018, 19:25   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Wo provides the best 12 volt refrigeration systems?

I understand and while their location is different, I’m not sure I’d say they are vastly different things.
Receiver / drier has three basic functions.
1. Receive any excess refrigerant and oil for times they are not needed such as low cooling demand.
2. Absorb any moisture that may be present in the refrigerant.
3. Provide a filter to remove particles that may be in the refrigerant.

An accumulator’s function is to hold excess liquid refrigerant to allow or to boil off as liquids are not compressible, trying to is known as slugging a compressor and will tear it up.
It’s not uncommon for an accumulator to have both a filter and desiccant.

I should not have called a receiver an accumulator, although it does store excess refrigerant, messing up the name was my mistake
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 21:54   #97
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I understand and while their location is different, I’m not sure I’d say they are vastly different things.
Receiver / drier has three basic functions.
1. Receive any excess refrigerant and oil for times they are not needed such as low cooling demand.
2. Absorb any moisture that may be present in the refrigerant.
3. Provide a filter to remove particles that may be in the refrigerant.

An accumulator’s function is to hold excess liquid refrigerant to allow or to boil off as liquids are not compressible, trying to is known as slugging a compressor and will tear it up.
It’s not uncommon for an accumulator to have both a filter and desiccant.

I should not have called a receiver an accumulator, although it does store excess refrigerant, messing up the name was my mistake
They are vastly different in as much as the receiver is always located in the liquid line prior to the TX and evaporator, and as you say it allows for varying levels of liquid refrigerant storage, on TX valve systems. Variation that occurs as the TX valve opens and closes.
An accumulator is always located in the suction side (after) of the evaporator and its purpose is to cause evaporation of any liquid refrigerant that the evaporator hasn't boiled off. This is why it is always larger in diameter than the evap or suction line tubing so as to cause rapid expansion of any liquid into vapour. It is usually an otherwise empty in-line cylinder.

In my 55+ years in the refrigeration industry I have never seen an accumulator that had either a filter or desiccant.

And only since the car air-con times have some refrigeration receivers had sight glass, desiccant and strainers in them. I say strainers because most are only that.. strainers and like spun copper filters they also don't include a felt pad for fine particles like a true filter dryer such as a Sporlan 050 has.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:21   #98

Boat: 1983 Cabo Rico 38

Richard Kollman it is great to see you here! I thank you for your writing, website and knowledge. Having purchased a 1983 CaboRico 38 3 years ago and starting a 3 year refit, your knowledge allowed me to utilize the existing Adler Barbour Cold Machine, which was new enough to have R134.
After removing the evaporator box to rebuild the ice box and unknowingly loosing all the refrigerant, I had a home AC company come and evacuate and re-charge the system. I came across your website and did some research and found they had overcharged the system do to the lines frosting all the way to the compressor. Using your guidance, I was able to buy a automotive style single gauge and R134 can and bleed off the overcharge and re-charge to an 80% frost level. The system has been running for 2 straight years, until yesterday.
While pulling unused wire from the wiring harness, I pulled the Negative cable from the PC Board. After replacing it, I found the Thermostat receptacle on the PC Board had split apart and allowed the Thermostat phone cord to come out. Attempting to repair the female part, the Red and black wire shorted and burned uo the plug wire. I cut the female plug out of the system and did a "thermostat Bypass" test, with no luck.
Working at a Full Service marina, I found a spare module and was able to swap out the module, and connect the Yellow and Blue thermostat wire straight to the module. Results successful.

While researching replacement systems, I came across FrigOboat system, also several friends have this system. Specifically the Capri 50F with Speed board and Guardian Speed controller with digital thermostat. Frigoboat

My question to you is since I need to buy a new Module, can I add their Merlin speed controller and Guardian Thermostat and update my system? Can I just eliminate Dometic's PC Board?

"The Ultimate Combo! ‐ Guardian plus Merlin: Gives operator full system
temperature control and diagnostics, plus the choice of using either the automatic speed routine of Merlin, or manual speed override."

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Old 11-08-2018, 07:29   #99
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
An evaporator eutectic plate with 322 sq inches of surface area on one side is marginal for a 5 cubic ft spillover box in a warm climate. You will be lucky if this plate will be able to store 202 Btu of energy, which means the excess alternative energy available from wind and solar will need to be stored in larger than normal batteries.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:36   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
An evaporator eutectic plate with 322 sq inches of surface area on one side is marginal for a 5 cubic ft spillover box in a warm climate. You will be lucky if this plate will be able to store 202 Btu of energy, which means the excess alternative energy available from wind and solar will need to be stored in larger than normal batteries.
ok so what size plate would you recommend would it be better with a thicker plate? ( recall my specific dimensions for plate placement. ) also would my extra insulation be a factor in the decisions?
Old 11-08-2018, 08:59   #101
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
ok so what size plate would you recommend would it be better with a thicker plate? ( recall my specific dimensions for plate placement. ) also would my extra insulation be a factor in the decisions?
When you select a eutectic plate that is the same as any evaporator in that it absorbs heat from a box area and disposes of it. In selecting an evaporator you are interested in rate of heat absorbed by surface area of this evaporator. The primary reason for large volumes of eutectic solution in a eutectic plate is to storing available surplus energy.

I have to apologize My earlier math was wrong your planed eutectic plate contains enough eutectic solution to qualify as a cycling eutectic plate actually storing 1570 btu of energy. The heat conductivity plate surface area is still lacking but there is a solution for this by mounting plate on one inch standoff brackets allowing box natural air tumbling over both flat surfaces of plate.

Your planed box insulation is going to be adequate if moisture is kept out of it.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:02   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
When you select a eutectic plate that is the same as any evaporator in that it absorbs heat from a box area and disposes of it. In selecting an evaporator you are interested in rate of heat absorbed by surface area of this evaporator. The primary reason for large volumes of eutectic solution in a eutectic plate is to storing available surplus energy.

I have to apologize My earlier math was wrong your planed eutectic plate contains enough eutectic solution to qualify as a cycling eutectic plate actually storing 1570 btu of energy. The heat conductivity plate surface area is still lacking but there is a solution for this by mounting plate on one inch standoff brackets allowing box natural air tumbling over both flat surfaces of plate.

Your planed box insulation is going to be adequate if moisture is kept out of it.
thank you for the clarifications.
The insulation
foil backed Cryogel and will be sealed with foil duct tape not the fabric type.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:28   #103
Marine Service Provider

How do you plan on controlling the spillover refrigerator temperature?
Old 11-08-2018, 09:29   #104

I have a thick cold plate (not to be confused with the thin wrap-around cooling sheets) and a CoolBlue compressor I’ve been using for 12 years. I recently needed to give it a shot of coolent, but other than that, its been fabulous. Efficient. I can dial the temp down and use it as a freezer.

See...CoolBlue Marine Refrigeration
2hulls4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:31   #105

Boat: Marine Trader/Sundeck/40'

I have a Norcold.
Works OK but have to defrost the freezer a lot.
CaptFigmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigeration