Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2010, 23:51   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
What, No boating?

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
LOL!!

Yes, it's actually unbelievable, isn't it? And if I could choose one system on the boat which is not going to ever give trouble, I would probably choose the sewage systems . . . thank you, Jabsco!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 04:34   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Anything but a Jabsco!

I am happy with the carefree performance of my Raritan PHII. It's two years and counting with no maintenance on that unit. The Jabscos I have experience with failed on an almost monthly basis.
Old 30-07-2010, 05:15   #48

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
When we retoileted about four years ago, we replaced thejabsco with --- another one. Yes, we love the lavacs, but we reckoned we could replace the jabsco every five years for the next 40 years sailing for the price to a jabsco so that's the way we went.

If I bought a boat with a lavacs, I'd be delighted to keep it, but we don't think the CBA works.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 05:48   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
I only dealt with less-than-brand-new Jabscos - perhaps that's the problem. The repair kits cost more than half a new unit and are worthless. I am a very handy guy (if I do say so) and my experience is that once the first "repair" is made and the pump unit is opened, you might as well pitch the whole thing. It will never again work without spilling liquified s*%t all over the place. For 2.5x as much you can get a Raritan PHII, for example, and save yourself all that trouble.

My $0.02.
Old 30-07-2010, 06:10   #50

Gregg,

This is not a good decision to be made by a guy - unless you plan to sail alone. We don't even need the damn thing most of the time.

I have no idea about composting unitsbut they don't look like something my wife would go for.

I've had Lavacs in the past. They never clogged but they baffled guests - especially sailors who were used to normal heads. They also have some endearing "quirks"that I came to like less and less (the Lavac not the friends ... well maybe the friends too )

I was ready to get a Tecma (very good) when the Raritan Elegance was introduced about two years ago. I spent a boat show going back and forth between their booths "flushing" (very patient sales guys). Both good and equally quiet to my ear. I ended up with the Raritan. As your probably know, they have a great reputation for quality in both manual and electric heads.

It has a china bowl just like ashore. The seat is also the size of one ashore but the whole thing is remarkably small. It's likely to tuck away in your spot easier than most. They offer an optional control panel that times the flush to use minimum water. It even has "short flush" (e.g. #1) and "long flush" (#2) buttons.

Never clogged. Looks clean. Very comfy for reading

Wife and guests love it - so I love it.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 06:35   #51

In 32 years of sailing I've had several brands of heads. By an order of magnitude the best is a LAVAC. The external mounted Hendersen diagraphm pump will pass a tennis shoe...By far the easiest to disassemble if clogged, which is ironic because it's very difficult to clog.

Mount an instruction sheet in the head for the land lubbers...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 07:21   #52

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Ive recently bought a cheap and cheerful Jabsco electric, standard size bowl.

I hope it doesnt let me down. Motion sickness AND certain smells are sure to make me ill, and its no help being near the loo when you feel that way as anyone whos been sitting on the bathroom floor with the toilet handy when drunk can testify.
Old 31-07-2010, 14:42   #53
cruiser

If you pull the guts out of any marine head , and hook a Henderson bilge pump to the outlet, then make the seat and lid airtight with closed cell foam , you have the same thing as a lavac , for a fraction the price.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 14:58   #54

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I'm about to replace my two Raritan PHII electric heads with the Marine elegance fresh water heads. The new ones are cheaper than the old ones but will use tank water for flushing.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 16:40   #55

I think I'm sold on the nature's head (composting toilet). Might just be the next thing I install. We have a Lavac which has been great, but every 2-3 years you need to at minimum break the whole thing down to dislodge all the buildup, and that holding tank just scares the living **** out of me (no pun intended).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 15:25   #56
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I think I'm sold on the nature's head (composting toilet). Might just be the next thing I install. We have a Lavac which has been great, but every 2-3 years you need to at minimum break the whole thing down to dislodge all the buildup, and that holding tank just scares the living **** out of me (no pun intended).
I don't see any relevant buildup on my home made version of the airhead. I guess keeping it simple has solved that problem. One can always tie a line on and tow it for a few miles.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:36   #57
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Back again from another multi week cruise through the Bahamas with the Air Head composting toliet. I've owened and used pretty much all the other fancy marine toilets made. Why, why, why, anyone would not switch is beyond me. I'll never own one of those over engineered/priced/touted/smelly headaches again.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:25   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Viv has just worked out how to use the Jabsco, so we are keeping it. If it costs me $100 every five years for a new pipe and pump so be it. Just can't see her going for anything that stores and composts poo. And as for that habit of putting loo paper in a bin, yuk what is that about.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:02   #59
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Viv has just worked out how to use the Jabsco, so we are keeping it. If it costs me $100 every five years for a new pipe and pump so be it. Just can't see her going for anything that stores and composts poo. And as for that habit of putting loo paper in a bin, yuk what is that about.

Pete

Yeah, I understand, the initial "Prissy factor has to be overcome. But the holding tank on conventional systems is just that, a place that stores poo. Let her pump out the holding tank herself, fix a broken sanitation hose, repair a leaking three/way valve, unclog a line, or replace a joker valve a few times and the loo paper in a bin will be the last thing she'll worry about. My wife gave me that same look when I first suggested a composting head. She's sold now. No more dumping offshore, planning routes and stops with pump out stations. There are no more musty smells on board, especially after the boats been closed up for awhile. Another gross thing that needs to be mentioned is that we no longer have that...uh... less than pleasant smell... that prevents one from entering the head area for fifteen minutes after it's been recently used. The negative pressure used on the composting head eliminates that. Trying hard not to be gross. Even with the lid up and the poo sitting there before it's dumped in the holding container the smells are vented outside so as not to linger down below.
The "Who died in there" jokes will end.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:23   #60

Boat: 1985 Marinette, Sedan, 29.5
Quote:
And as for that habit of putting loo paper in a bin, yuk what is that about.
Where does the toilet paper go? Not clear, but I think it goes in the paper carrier in the toilet.
tundrarules is offline   Reply With Quote