Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2016, 18:25   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Which bilge pump?

Ok...before I'm chastised about not doing search first...I did.

I'm getting the boat ready to splash in a month or less and wouldn't you know it...the Rule 2000 bit the biscuit. I can actually hear it arcing internally...not good.
So I see a few new faces on the market. One in particular is the Johnson L2200. Does anyone have an opinion of one over another?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 18:45   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: Which bilge pump?

For centrifugal pumps we like the Johnsons, larger is better; we also like to fit a diaphragm pump (lean toward the Whale Gulpers) set a bit further down in the hull to keep it dry... regardless choose the wonderful Ultra Safety Switches for automatic bilge pumps...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 19:09   #3

Interesting...I'm not sure how old the Rule is but I have had to patch the strainer and was looking for robust. The Johnson (at least in the picture) looks pretty good. As far as my manual diaphragm pump, I have a Bosworth Guzzler 500, which has worked intermittently the entire trip down to Mx. I'm trying to splash and I'll be damned if I'm going in without a way to remove water. So I took the manual apart today and lo and behold, both diaphragms were in backwards! The fabric side of the check flapper was to the seat. The rubber seal size was pointing away from the flow. I switched them around and it works great!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 21-02-2016, 20:12   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I go for the multiple bilge pump option.

For keeping the bilge dry I use a Par Max, diaphragm pump. I use a small hose to keep the back wash to a minimum.

I haven't found the Rule pumps to be long term reliable for constant use but I do have a pair of Rule 4000s for my emergency pumps.

For manual a Whale Gusher that pumps from the cockpit and a gallon/stroke manual under the nav seat for the last resort.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 20:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I go for the multiple bilge pump option.

For keeping the bilge dry I use a Par Max, diaphragm pump. I use a small hose to keep the back wash to a minimum.

I haven't found the Rule pumps to be long term reliable for constant use but I do have a pair of Rule 4000s for my emergency pumps.

For manual a Whale Gusher that pumps from the cockpit and a gallon/stroke manual under the nav seat for the last resort.
Ha...not last resort skip...there's always a bucket and a very scared boat owner!
Old 21-02-2016, 20:29   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Ha...not last resort skip...there's always a bucket and a very scared boat owner!
OK. Then the gal/stroke is the next to the last option.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 19:42   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have a wood boat with 5 WT bulkheads. So 6 separate bilge areas. You get what you pay for. Rule and all the pumps that look the same are probably made in the same Chinese factory. The least reliable are the pumps with a sensor. I've never had any brand with a built in sensor last more than a year. The sensor either locks the pump on or off. If locked on you can add a float switch and make the pump work.
I've gone back to Lovett. They're more expensive, but I never had one fail.
I had a 32 volt model in a commercial boat that was 30 years old when I sold the boat. Now as the look alike pumps fail I buy a Lovett.
Attached Images

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump