Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 18:29   #1

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34
where to route shower sump

My boat came with a shower sump tray that drains into the bilge. In order to keep organic stuff out of the bilge and avoid unpleasant smells, I want to install a shower sump pump and intercept the shower gray water before it gets into the bilge and pump it overboard. The pump will collect all the accumulated water from the bottom of the shower pan and route it out of the boat.

I do not want to make any more holes in the boat and I am wondering if I can Tee the shower sump to my sink drain, with a proper check valve so the sink water does not end up down in my shower sump. Take a look at the attached drawing and let me know if it would work, or will the gray water squirt up from my sink drain?

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 010002.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	123753  
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 18:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: where to route shower sump

Do a loop in the sump drain hose higher than the sink so sink water doesn't flow back into the sump. Ditch the check valve. It will only clog with hair, etc. Properly plumbed pumps (sump, bilge, etc.,) don't need a check valve. They restrict the flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sump.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	123754  
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 18:56   #3

What you propose can easily be done, but you need to be careful not only that the sink doesn't drain into the shower sump, but more importantly that the ocean doesn't drain into the shower sump when the vessel is heeled over. You can prevent this by running the hose from the sump pump in a high loop before coming back down to the sink drain. Alternatively, don't "T" the sump pump hose into the sink drain line at all, but feed it into the sink from the top of the counter with a nice looking piece of chromed tubing or something like that. This way there is no chance of any back feeding at all.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 19:27   #4

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
What you propose can easily be done, but you need to be careful not only that the sink doesn't drain into the shower sump, but more importantly that the ocean doesn't drain into the shower sump when the vessel is heeled over. You can prevent this by running the hose from the sump pump in a high loop before coming back down to the sink drain. Alternatively, don't "T" the sump pump hose into the sink drain line at all, but feed it into the sink from the top of the counter with a nice looking piece of chromed tubing or something like that. This way there is no chance of any back feeding at all.

DougR
Or you could plumb the sink to the sump as well and then have only one outlet.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 20:39   #5

Great stuff guys! Thank you for your help. Lepke, its pretty cool that we collaborated on a drawing online!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-05-2016, 08:23   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Do a loop in the sump drain hose higher than the sink so sink water doesn't flow back into the sump. Ditch the check valve. It will only clog with hair, etc. Properly plumbed pumps (sump, bilge, etc.,) don't need a check valve. They restrict the flow.

^^^This is also my answer. Check valves are great for vent lines, but will clog with, uh, "organics".
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:50   #7

Reminded us of a very large sailing yacht moored nearby at St.Bart. They actually called a plumber to come fix a "stuffed" toilet line that someone had plugged with an "unmentionable". We found out when the plumber showed up at our boat by mistake. Evidently not an uncommon problem among the luxury yachting set.

We used a toilet seat setup on a modified push pit--port side looped out a ways to allow one to "do their thing" into the great sea. Sea gulls were the only problem with the setup.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 15:51   #8

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

You could also replace the 'check valve' with a three way 'T' valve and then just use either the sink or the shower sump at different times.

I use a Whomper pump because it sucks all of the water from the shower sump which a bilge pump won't do. The Whomper then pumps it well above the water line into my sewage holding tank. The sewage is then gravity fed down a similar set up to yours through the single seacock.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 16:42   #9

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Make your enclosed sump pump collection box as big as you can because the backflow from the loop will refill it if too small. I threw our small collection box out for that reason and sent it all to the bilge. When convenient will put in a new large collection box.

Also a note of caution, the loop siphon-break can stick shut when it dries out so if your shower tray is below the waterline you could have seawater siphoned back into the boat. Close the seacock when leaving the boat for a while.
I found this out when the float switch failed and fortunately after only taking on half a tonne of seawater :-)
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 18:49   #10
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

from experience there is a good chance you could have water backing up into your sink with your design .. a 3 way valve would prevent that. you could also have a dedicated sump pump outlet above waterline and not worry about siphon problems.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:38   #11

Rustic Charm, what is a Whomper pump?

Old 07-05-2016, 03:48   #12

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
Rustic Charm, what is a Whomper pump?

'Whomper' that's funny. Must have been my iPad correction. Though it's fitting as they do go 'whomp' 'whomp' 'whomp'

It was meant to be 'gulper' pump. These are pumps that suck up, including air. So you don't have the problem you have with common bilge pumps with the water falling back into the bilge when you turn the pump off.

My 'gulper' is in a cupboard above the head sink, so at about 5 foot mark from the floor. And yet it sucks up all waste water from the floor drain of the shower. They are great. Fully serviceable too. Will take hair and soap away.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:00   #13

Now it makes sense yes, thats what I purchased too, whale 200. Thank you!

Old 07-05-2016, 04:45   #14

Now it makes sense yes, thats what I purchased too, whale gulper 220. Thank you!

Tags
route, shower, shower sump