Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 08:17   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bahia De Caraquez, Ecuador
Boat: Mayotte/Voyage 47' catamaran
Posts: 97
Send a message via Skype™ to quartersplash
Where to Purchase Watermaker Membrane ?

I need to purchase a new membrane for my 150 gal per day Village marine watermaker. Any direction on where to get a good buy would be appreciated. Also is there any difference between manufacturers? How long can the membrane be stored in its original package before it needs to be installed in the watermaker?
Gracias
__________________

__________________
quartersplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:32   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Posts: 591
One source might be...

Here is a message sent out to the Yahoo Pacific Puddle Jumper group last week that sounds worth following up on. Chuck's a very reliable source of info IME:

For those folks that need to replace there water maker membranes the source that many of the US water maker companies go to is Applied Membranes in Visat Calif. For example our Spectra Ventura 150 membrane from Spectra cost $565.00 Plus tax and shipping. From Applied Membranes is was $165.00 plus tax and shipping. Same exact membrane!!! Applied Membranes, Inc. Manufacturer & distributor of Reverse Osmosis (RO) Systems Membranes and Components Call them for help and a quote Cheers Chuck Jacaranda
__________________

__________________
WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
http://www.svsarah.com/Whoosh/WhooshSection.htm
Euro Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 18:09   #3
Registered User
 
NoTies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vanuatu
Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Posts: 1,378
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartersplash View Post
Also is there any difference between manufacturers? How long can the membrane be stored in its original package before it needs to be installed in the watermaker?
Gracias
Most membrane manufacturers seem to be the same but I always go Filmtec by Dow Corning simply by habit as they have never let me down. If you are fitting the membrane immediately it pays to shop around as many wholesalers & retailers will have stock on the shelf longer than they want and want to rotate it. My work here is servicing watermakers, we are the only company in Fiji that does this work but we do not carry membranes in stock as they have a limited shelf life. I would not recommend keeping a new membrane longer than 6 months.
__________________
Pete

Positively, socially deviant.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:46   #4
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,596
Images: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Cruiser View Post
... For those folks that need to replace there water maker membranes the source that many of the US water maker companies go to is Applied Membranes in Visat Calif. For example our Spectra Ventura 150 membrane from Spectra cost $565.00 Plus tax and shipping. From Applied Membranes is was $165.00 plus tax and shipping. Same exact membrane!!! Applied Membranes, Inc. Manufacturer & distributor of Reverse Osmosis (RO) Systems Membranes and Components ...
In addition to the R/O seawater membranes that they manufacture themselves (including those with “private” labels), Applied Membranes also stocks Dow/FilmTec, Toray, Hydranautics, & Koch membranes.

Their website has a wealth of information ➥ Applied Membranes, Inc. Manufacturer & distributor of Reverse Osmosis (RO) Systems Membranes and Components

Retail Sales ➥ WaterAnywhere

Applied Membranes Inc (AMI)
2325 Cousteau Ct., Vista, CA 92081-8346
Toll Free (USA) 1-800-321-9321
Phone (760) 727-3711
Fax (760) 727-4427
AMI web contact form ➥ Contact Applied Membranes, Inc.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 06:05   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Americanro.com is another good source.
Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 06:17   #6
Registered User
 
muskoka's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sai Kung, Hong Kong
Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Posts: 775
WaterAnywhere

They were the cheapest of the lot for my recent purchase so worth a look.
__________________
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 06:10   #7
Registered User
 
Lucey Blue's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Boat: Lagoon 42 TPI - Lucey Blue
Posts: 19
Ventura 150 membrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro Cruiser View Post
Here is a message sent out to the Yahoo Pacific Puddle Jumper group last week that sounds worth following up on. Chuck's a very reliable source of info IME:

For those folks that need to replace there water maker membranes the source that many of the US water maker companies go to is Applied Membranes in Visat Calif. For example our Spectra Ventura 150 membrane from Spectra cost $565.00 Plus tax and shipping. From Applied Membranes is was $165.00 plus tax and shipping. Same exact membrane!!! Applied Membranes, Inc. Manufacturer & distributor of Reverse Osmosis (RO) Systems Membranes and Components Call them for help and a quote Cheers Chuck Jacaranda
Hi,

I contacted Applied Membranes to see how much a membrane for a Ventura 150 might cost today and they asked if I had any more detail on the unit required. My water maker is working well, but I would like to have a few spares before we head out and thus would be grateful if you could share the model number for membrane you purchased.

All the best
Nick
__________________
Our blog: Lucey Blue
Lucey Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 14:58   #8
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Tellie's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hollywood, Fl.
Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Posts: 3,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucey Blue View Post
Hi,

I contacted Applied Membranes to see how much a membrane for a Ventura 150 might cost today and they asked if I had any more detail on the unit required. My water maker is working well, but I would like to have a few spares before we head out and thus would be grateful if you could share the model number for membrane you purchased.

All the best
Nick

Hi Nick,
Welcome aboard. I visited your blog site and was reminded of when my daughter was at that age and we were planning to head off into what ever adventures lay ahead. You'll never regret nor will you ever get this most special of times back spent with your kids. They are very very fortunate to have parents like you.
As far as your Spectra 150 is concerned, I see your Cat is an older model. Is the 150 something you bought new or did it come with the boat when you bought it? The reason I ask is that membranes have a certain life expectancy. This is determined on how well the water maker has been previously taken care of. You may very well be at the end life of your existing membrane or you may have more than enough life left to take you through your entire cruise. There are several tests that can be done with the 150 to help determine what's going on inside the water maker. For the most part taking a "spare" membrane is unadvisable because they have a shelf life of about one year, usually on a boat they last even less. If your current membrane has a few years left it's a waste of money to carry a spare. If your current membrane is on its very last leg then it would be advisable to change it out with a new one now before you leave. For the 150 the only reasonable spare I would recommend would be a new feed pump head. In a reasonable taken care of Spectra 150, this seems to be the one part that you will eventually need. It is a very easy replacement/repair job that should take the first timer about 45 minutes to do. But it is a propriatry part to Spectra. It may look like a dozen different Shurflo pumps but it is not. You need Spectras, no matter what your dock buddies say. Also before I forget, the membrane for the 150 is a SW2521 or Salt Water 2.5" diameter x 21" long. If you have never changed out a membrane on a Spectra before, I recommend you read the manual very carefully first. I've worked on all the available vessels made. Spectras membrane vessels are by far the best there are and make changing out membranes a breeze. But you must understand the few basics. It can get expensive fast if you break parts, especially aroun the SS fittings on the vessels end caps. If you have any questions at all about any part or operating procedure on your 150 you can always ask me.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 05:45   #9
Registered User
 
Lucey Blue's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Boat: Lagoon 42 TPI - Lucey Blue
Posts: 19
Spectra Ventura 150

Thanks Tellie,

I appreciate the advice on the Spectra Ventura 150 and your comments about the value of family cruising. The water maker was installed in 2005 and has racked up about 511 hours according to the MPC-3000 interface. At the moment the unit is producing 5.9-6.0 GPH of freshwater on a feed rate pressure of 63-65 PSI and using about 9 amps.

Overall the system appears to be operating within the design specifications. I recently replaced the carbon filter, 5 and 20 micron pre filters and the fresh water solenoid as it had jammed in the off position. But the rest of the water maker looks to be in good shape so given your advice I might just run the it until the freshwater product rate drops off or something breaks....

I will definitely be in touch....

All the best
Nick
__________________
Our blog: Lucey Blue
Lucey Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 07:31   #10
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Tellie's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hollywood, Fl.
Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Posts: 3,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucey Blue View Post
Thanks Tellie,

I appreciate the advice on the Spectra Ventura 150 and your comments about the value of family cruising. The water maker was installed in 2005 and has racked up about 511 hours according to the MPC-3000 interface. At the moment the unit is producing 5.9-6.0 GPH of freshwater on a feed rate pressure of 63-65 PSI and using about 9 amps.

Overall the system appears to be operating within the design specifications. I recently replaced the carbon filter, 5 and 20 micron pre filters and the fresh water solenoid as it had jammed in the off position. But the rest of the water maker looks to be in good shape so given your advice I might just run the it until the freshwater product rate drops off or something breaks....

I will definitely be in touch....

All the best
Nick

Just a few quick points. Always replace with a new properly rated carbon filter every six months. Don't wait until the MPC3000 tells you it is time to change the 5 and 20 micron filters, get in the habit of changing them when you see about three bars on the control panel. They will last longer if changed out sooner than later. They can be gently washed off and re-used. You might get around 5-8 uses out of a set of filters. Take about five to eight spare 5 and 20 micron filters with you. Also since you have the MPC3000 controls I highly recommend you also take a spare salinity probe. The probability that you will need to replace it is good. 511 hours for a 5 year old unit is very low which is a good thing but a sticking soleniod is indicative of crud build up inside the whole unit from sitting for long periods without use. This crud plays havoc with salinity probes. The 63-65 feed pump pressures are right on the money, as is the 9 amps. 6gph is the exact rating for the 150 as well. Only other thing I'd like to see at this point is the TDS readings. You can either do this by a hand held unit or scroll through the control panel by pressing the alarm display button until you reach salinity and see what the number is. Readings under 600-500 are good, under 400 very good, under 300 are like new. Anything under 400 and chances are very good that you'll have several years of life left in the membrane. Also have at least two SC-1 storage solutions with you. DO NOT use anything else or any other manufacturers storage solution.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 04:24   #11
Registered User
 
Lucey Blue's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Boat: Lagoon 42 TPI - Lucey Blue
Posts: 19
Spectra Ventura 150 water maker

Thanks again Tellie,

When producing fresh water the salinity readings on our Spectra water maker hovers between 40-120PPM according to the MSC-3000 interface. However, I get measurements that range between 250-450PPM when testing the product water with a hand held salinity meter.

I tend to believe the hand held results more than the inbuilt probe. But neither have been calibrated.

All the best
Nick
__________________
Our blog: Lucey Blue
Lucey Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 07:22   #12
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Tellie's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hollywood, Fl.
Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Posts: 3,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucey Blue View Post
Thanks again Tellie,

When producing fresh water the salinity readings on our Spectra water maker hovers between 40-120PPM according to the MSC-3000 interface. However, I get measurements that range between 250-450PPM when testing the product water with a hand held salinity meter.

I tend to believe the hand held results more than the inbuilt probe. But neither have been calibrated.

All the best
Nick

You're welcome Nick.
Your instincts are correct. I'd lean more to believing the hand held TDS meter. They are usually pretty accurate and rarely need much calibration. The salinity probe is another thing. Though they both operate on the same pricipal the difference is that your hand held only sees water when briefly testing and the salinity probe is constantly submerged in water. RO water can be corrosive after a time, which is another reason why metal based water makers tend to fail sooner. Also taking into account that you stated earlier that your unit has sat for long periods of time without use it is very likely the salinity probe on your unit is coated with the same gunk your solinoid valve was. This will make the salinity probe give false readings. I'm sure you have heard that watermakers like to be run. This is just one of the many reasons why. Water makers just stay healthy when run often. Re-calibrating the MPC3000 salinity readings can be done but it takes a few steps. Some people prefer not to attempt this, but it is not hard to do. You'll need a few things first. You'll need some calibration solution for your hand held to getit is as accurate as possible and a very small propriatry jumper for the MPC control board located inside the white cover located on the water maker. If you like I can send you a jumper and calibration solution. No charge. But if you decide to calibrate the unit I can E-mail you the instructions and my phone number just in case there are any questions while you are doing the re-calibration.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 00:07   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 275
Tellie I am going to be cruising on a boat with a neglected Spectra Catalina.The local agent seems to be good but has quoted $4k to overhaul it.I need to think about doing it myself.I worked as a yacht rigger but have never been in the guts of a watermaker.Do you think I might be able to replace the membrane myself?The onboard manual does not give repair info.Where is the best place for me to look for repair procedures?
__________________
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 02:10   #14
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Tellie's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hollywood, Fl.
Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Posts: 3,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonam View Post
Tellie I am going to be cruising on a boat with a neglected Spectra Catalina.The local agent seems to be good but has quoted $4k to overhaul it.I need to think about doing it myself.I worked as a yacht rigger but have never been in the guts of a watermaker.Do you think I might be able to replace the membrane myself?The onboard manual does not give repair info.Where is the best place for me to look for repair procedures?

Nonam the best place to start is Spectras website. Spectra Watermachines - Clark Pump is World's Most Efficient Marine Watermaker

Replacing a membrane is not hard as long as you know the proper procedures. There are a few things you need to know before you begin. But depending on who gave you the qoute, a 4K repair bill tells me there are more issuse with this water maker than just the membrane which can possibly get a bit tricky. If you can tell me what your guy said needs work it would give me a better idea on what's going on with your Cat300. Then I could give you much better advice on how to, or not to, proceed. You can always PM me.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 16:38   #15
Registered User
 
lunasea.ds's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: On board eastern US and beyond
Boat: 1999 Jeanneau Newco Lagoon 410 Catamaran - Luna Sea
Posts: 46
Send a message via Skype™ to lunasea.ds
Spectra Clark Pump - repair or replace?

Tellie and others, thank you for sharing the great information. We've been in the midst of diagnosing and fixing ours this last week.

Our Spectra 200C Watermaker production has been on the decline from 8 gph to 4 gph over the last few months. We chemically cleaned the membrane and the output didn't change so we replaced it and found the old one was bio fouled. But the output still didn't improve. The feed water pump is in good condition.

We removed the test port plug and found the Clark pump was leaking internally. It's been around since 2002. We replaced the piston rod seals, the intake check valves and seats and reversing valve spool. The annular rings appear to be in good condition. The visible problems are the pistons, piston rod and composite cylinders are badly scored. We don't know what else might be wrong.

We are wondering how to proceed. In Spectra's 2002 manual they declare they have a refurbish program for $350. If it's still available should we send the Clark pump to Spectra and rely on a refurbished older model; or if replacement parts are available try and fix it ourselves (not knowing what else could be wrong); or stab ourselves in the wallet for a costly newer model? If we get a newer model which one? Would it be wise to have Spectra refurbish our existing Clark pump to have as a spare.

Of course budget is always a concern. I'm weary of investing in something that's going obsolete. Since today is Sunday we don't have the cost breakdown yet. Just trying to get educated on the options. Thank you.
__________________

__________________
lunasea.ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
watermaker

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Katadyn Membrane / Pressure Vessel Replacement svnakia Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 13 24-10-2017 17:00
Watermaker Membrane - Change to Larger = Increased Output? quartersplash Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 41 23-03-2012 19:16
Want To Buy: Katadyn 80e Membrane Vessel tambourine man Classifieds Archive 0 10-05-2010 13:01
Watermaker - My Last Pre-Cruise Purchase - Any Advice? Geoff H. Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 45 26-10-2009 19:58
membrane question phorvati Provisioning: Food & Drink 1 14-08-2006 20:48



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:52.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.