Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2016, 08:57   #31

Boat: DownEaster 38
Re: When are vented loops required?

While on the topic, I also have questions about the hose materials and the deck fitting for shore pump out. What should I look for in determining the quality of the various hoses required? I plan to replace them all.
Also what type of deck fitting is needed for shore pump out? My boat does not have any pump out fitting!!
Thanks in advance...
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 17:37   #32
Marine Service Provider

...is the vented loop between the bowl and the pump really necessary? The inlet to the bowl tees off the wash basin discharge line. Does that provide the vent?

Only if your boat never heels. You can never go too far wrong erring on the side of caution...install the intake vented loop.

I also have questions about the hose materials and the deck fitting for shore pump out. What should I look for in determining the quality of the various hoses required? I plan to replace them all.

All the good quality sanitation hoses have at least a 5 year warranty...however, not all of 'em make it that far. I've been on half a dozen boats on which SeaLand OdorSafe has failed in less than a year. Trident 101 has been on the market for 20 years without a single odor permeation failure, but it has one drawback: it's stiffer than an ironing board, so it may not be the best choice for hose run that isn't fairly straight. Shields PolyX for twice the price suffers from the same problem. Raritan SaniFlex has only been on the market about 6-7 years, but so far not a single reported odor permation failure. Upside: it soft enough to make a U-turn. Downside: it costs about twice as much as Trident 101.

Also what type of deck fitting is needed for shore pump out? My boat does not have any pump out fitting!!

Google 'deck pumpout fitting' to find a good selection.
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 20:47   #33

Thanks so much, Peggie.
I will follow up with the vent loop on the "fresh" water line, but would you please confirm that a vent loop is not needed between the toilet pump discharge and the holding tank since the tank itself is vented? The top of the holding tank is well above the water line, even with heeling.
Old 21-06-2016, 21:28   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

On the subject of vented loops in the toilet supply line; are the cheap 10$ plastic ones ok ? And what are the jabsco ones made of for $30 ?
Thanks
Nick

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 23-06-2016, 18:06   #35

Back again with more questions for Peggie.
I cleaned out the holding tank compartment today, scrubbed it clean and ready to paint it a nice white. So, getting ready to buy the materials.
I am clear on most things, but wonder if the vent hose from the top of the holding tank to the exterior of the boat should be of the same odor free quality as the main sanitary lines. It should only ever get fumes. At present, that line is a transparent, soft plastic.
For the (new) vented loop on the toilet inlet line I plan to replicate the existing line between the pump and the bowl, making it long enough to get the required height. OK, Peggie?
Thanks a million for your invaluable advice.

Bob
Old 23-06-2016, 20:22   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I'm no Peggie, she's smarter and prettier, but I know a little about hose.
I would replace the clear vinyl hose that you currently have on your vent with something stouter. It's probably 5/8 or 3/4 inch and I don't think you can find really good sanitation hose in those sizes. For the vent hose I'd use Trident 148. It is their less expensive sanitation hose and it should last many years as a vent hose.
Old 23-06-2016, 23:13   #37

I am sure that your experience is totally relevant and is much appreciated.
I'll look for Trident hose
Bob
Old 24-06-2016, 10:42   #38

Hi again, HopCar
Any other thoughts on hose brands? I hate to shell out over $15/ft!!!
May go for "best" on the main discharge line from toilet to holding tank since it will tend to have "stuff" in it most of the time, and put lower grade/cheaper hose on the exit lines from the holding tank. Thoughts?
Bob
Old 24-06-2016, 11:07   #39
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
NOT ever on the intake line.

Always on the line between the pump on the head and the bowl.

Suggest you read the installation manual you get with your head or download one now and read it.
... and that is EXACTLY (intake line) what Sail Magazine showed in an article this month. A nice wrong illustration. I sent them the manual illustration.
Old 24-06-2016, 11:10   #40
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcd625 View Post
Hi again, HopCar
Any other thoughts on hose brands? I hate to shell out over $15/ft!!!
May go for "best" on the main discharge line from toilet to holding tank since it will tend to have "stuff" in it most of the time, and put lower grade/cheaper hose on the exit lines from the holding tank. Thoughts?
Bob
Don't do it....
Old 24-06-2016, 11:22   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
... and that is EXACTLY (intake line) what Sail Magazine showed in an article this month. A nice wrong illustration. I sent them the manual illustration.
Glad you caught that.

That's why that magazine is crap.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 11:40   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Hi Bob, I don't know who quoted you $15 per foot. I sell the 5/8" for $1.68 per foot and 3/4" for $1.79. Even their top of the line sanitation hose sells for less than $10 per foot for 1-1/2" hose.

Trident Vac X.H.D Sanitation Hoses -White Mfg# 148

This hose is also a good alternative to the expensive sanitation hose like Trident 101 but only if the run is all down hill and sewage won't sit in it.
Old 24-06-2016, 13:01   #43
Marine Service Provider

Trident 101 isn't that expensive, Hop...a google search turned up a bunch of sources who have it for well under $10. Shields PolyX and Raritan Saniflex are the pricy ones...and so is SeaLand OdorSafe Plus, but I've been on too many boats, and heard of too many more, on which it had permeated in less than a year to recommend it.
Old 29-06-2016, 20:04   #44

I finally decided on and ordered Trident 101 for the whole system. I hope the bends won't be too difficult. I still am hesitating on the vented loop between the toilet's pump and inlet. In my case the raw water inlet tees off the discharge from the wash basin which is well above the waterline even at a large angle of heel. I'll get the main lines in first and then, maybe, go for the extra precaution of the vented loop on the inlet line. At least I am making some progress!!!
Old 29-06-2016, 20:48   #45
Marine Service Provider

I still am hesitating on the vented loop between the toilet's pump and inlet. In my case the raw water inlet tees off the discharge from the wash basin which is well above the waterline even at a large angle of heel.

I'd install the loop. The head intake line tees into the sink drain line below the waterline...your toilet is below the waterline, so there's nothing else to prevent seawater forced up the sink drain line when the boat is underway (an effect known as "ram water" that often turns sinks into fountains...doesn't happen on all boats, but can) from being pushed through the toilet pump if the toilet is left in the wet mode. You can never go too far wrong erring on the side of caution and the loop is cheap insurance.

About the hose. Don't heat it to make it bend further than it wants to bend willingly...that can cause the skin on the outside of the radius to tear and result in leaks. If a bend is too tight, cut the hose and insert an inline 90 or 45 radius fitting.