Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2018, 15:25   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: What is the proper difference in temp. Return air vs supply

Often times a manufacturer to save money and not have to stock so many different parts will use the same fan for several units, smaller ones will of course have a lower temp drop, cause they are smaller.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 15:35   #17

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Often times a manufacturer to save money and not have to stock so many different parts will use the same fan for several units, smaller ones will of course have a lower temp drop, cause they are smaller.
I have the 14K unit running on the boat now. (Not really "installed" but wired and plumbed) and yes, 14K seems to be plenty.

Not sure what components are shared with MarinAir units. Yes, most likely fan housings, impeller, motor, frame, controls, condensate tray, possibly even campressor. Electrical specs about the same. A hair cmore GPM water flow required for the 16K. As I said, very little difference in $$$ between 14 and 16K units - about $100. So great if you need 16K in this case.

ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 13:17   #18

Boat: Kanter Yachts Steel Spray 38

5 years ago, I brought my 18-year-old 18,000 btu unit to Mermaid Manufacturing (Ft Myers, I think) to have it checked out, after having the boat on the hard for 9 years. They hooked it up, and it started and worked fine. The temperature delta that the tech looked at was the difference between the cooling water intake and the air outlet, which makes sense, as the unit will increase output temperature with hotter cooling water. My delta T was 22 degrees, I believe, and they said that 18 degrees is standard. So, essentially, when the water is 90 degrees in FL, my outlet will be pumping out 68-degree air into the boat. They were so happy that a unit was working so well after that amount of time that they took pics of it! 5 years later, we're in Solomon's Island, MD, and the unit is still working to perfection. I am not an HVAC guy, but IMHO that makes sense to me... Best of luck in your challenges there!
TKDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 01:42   #19

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKDSailor View Post
5 years ago, I brought my 18-year-old 18,000 btu unit to Mermaid Manufacturing (Ft Myers, I think) to have it checked out, after having the boat on the hard for 9 years. They hooked it up, and it started and worked fine. The temperature delta that the tech looked at was the difference between the cooling water intake and the air outlet, which makes sense, as the unit will increase output temperature with hotter cooling water. My delta T was 22 degrees, I believe, and they said that 18 degrees is standard. So, essentially, when the water is 90 degrees in FL, my outlet will be pumping out 68-degree air into the boat.
That's good to know. The Seaward 32RK that I have came with a 5200BTU unit. I don't know what they were thinking! I have a 12000BTU unit on the way from Mermaid. According to everyone asked, it should be the appropriate size and will still be able to run off of our Honda 2200 generator with ease. It puts out a full 15 amps VS the 2000 at 13.5 amps. looking forward to a cool dry cabin on those crazy humid nights!
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 05:29   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
Too many variables to use gauges once it leaves the factory?
A refrigerating system with a capillary tube for the expansion control (as opposed to an backpressure expansion valve typical of "normal" air conditioners) can not be accurately recharged by pressure. Doing this will typically result in over filling of the unit, and all the performance problems and possible system damage that can result from that.

Having small marine systems worked on by people who do not know this is a huge cause of problems for the average boat owner.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 07:16   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
What is the proper difference in temp. Return air vs supply

I have a 16K and a 5K.
One reason is that the 5 K is in our Stateroom and a Honda will easily run it. If needed we can close the door and stay cool and comfortable.
I havenít done that in a long time, but as I know one day we will anchor where the mosquitos will carry you off and you have to close up and sweat, or be carried off.
The Honda will run a 5 K in Eco mode, much bigger and you canít use Eco mode, Eco mode is much quieter.
Sometimes if you have an air conditioner that you can run but not start in Eco mode, you can start it, set the thermostat so that it wonít cut off, and turn the generator on Eco.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, rope