Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2016, 09:32   #1

Boat: 1986 Catalina 27
What hose to use

So I'm re-doing the plumbing in my boat. My plan was to use standard reinforced vinyl hose because its cheap, but I've seen a lot of boats using pex instead. What do you guys suggest?
Sailuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:01   #2

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: What hose to use

Not all hoses are safe - search for drinking water hose, and Pex may leach some substances. I picked white opaque garden water hose - the ones marked safe for drinking water. Clear vinyl allow algae to grow and eventually turns black.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 13:50   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Pex is meant to carry drinking water in houses and as an additional benefit if it freezes, it won't burst. Just do not use it where it will be exposed to UV.
My boat has reinforced vinyl that is 30 yrs old and is fine, but I think Pex may be better, but more difficult to add onto and replace etc. as you need a special crimper that isn't a small tool and crush rings
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 14:24   #4

Boat: Catalina 387

I'd use pex. pex is safe for drinking water and won't get all sticky like vinyl does.

There's multiple ways to put fittings on:
1. Push-on fittings (like sharkbite)

2. Fittings that crimp with a metal crimp ring - you stick the fitting in the tubing and then crimp a metal crimp ring with a special tool.

3. Uponor Pro-Pex fittings that crimp with a ring of pex. You put the pex ring onto the end of the pipe, use the magic expander tool, it expands it enough to go over the fitting. The ring then shrinks back down.

I've repiped my entire house with the ProPex stuff. It's fantastic. Almost impossible to make any mistakes putting fittings on. Super fast to do. The tool is very expensive.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:26   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

My boat has had vinyl hose for almost thirty years. If I was doing it today I'd use Pex.
It is fine for drinking water and easier to install if you use fittings like those made by Sea Tech. Sea Tech Quick Connect Fittings
Old 09-12-2016, 11:03   #6

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I've replaced a lot of my system with PEX. I totally re-did the area where the pump and water heater are. I haven't replaced the lines to remote fixtures; so far they work fine.

I went with "shark bite" (or similar brand) press-on connectors and fittings, on the theory that they're easy to remove and re-install without tools. For some reason I seem to need to do this more often on a boat than I ever did on my house.

That said, these fittings are more expensive, and removing them isn't always as simple as you'd think, if they're in a tight location or there's not much room between fittings.

For the house, I bought the PEX ring compressor tool for a small job, and I'm liking this method a lot. Easy one-handed install, and removal isn't too hard; just replace that section of PEX. It's cheap enough not to bother re-using the old section.

If I had it to do over, I'd use the shark bite connectors where I thought I might need to someday pull the connection apart, and the compression rings on the rest. The tool isn't that expensive, and probably cheaper than buying all those shark bite fittings.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:18   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I had forgotten about the shark bite fittings, I have only used the rings
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:25   #8

Boat: Catalina 387

The Sea Tech ones Hop Car pointed out would be superior over sharkbite to me. I'd rather go plastic (weight moving around with the boat) and I'm sure the sharkbites will corrode in salt.

Even with the ProPex stuff, I'd use the plastic fittings for the same reasons.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:33   #9

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
My boat has had vinyl hose for almost thirty years. If I was doing it today I'd use Pex.
It is fine for drinking water and easier to install if you use fittings like those made by Sea Tech. Sea Tech Quick Connect Fittings
HopCar,

Thanks for reminding us all about the Sea Tech QD fittings for PEX. They are about half the price of SharkBite fittings.

I'm always willing to save $ if I'm not overly compromising relevant features/ quality/ durability.

Cheers! Bill
Old 09-12-2016, 12:35   #10

Boat: Camano Troll

Many new homes are plumbed with PEX. It's approved for this purpose and does not leach anything.

PEX may be the ideal product for boat plumbing. It's lightweight, easy to install and as someone mentioned, a light freeze won't harm it. There are many ways to connect it.

It can be used for hot water, something vinyl tubing and garden hose would be a problem for.

My boat was plumbed with PEX from the factory.
Old 09-12-2016, 14:24   #11

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I used the Sea Tech fittings with PEX tubing to completely re plumb my boat about 2 years ago. It went easier than I expected and I'm happy so far.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 14:41   #12

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I'm looking to replumb soon as well. Now that I know what type of hose, how do you decide diameter? How about pump size?
Old 09-12-2016, 16:17   #13

Is there any advantage to pex tubing for a boat over the reinforced hose sold in marine stores?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 16:53   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
I'm looking to replumb soon as well. Now that I know what type of hose, how do you decide diameter? How about pump size?
If the size of your original hose isn't a problem, use the same size.
Old 09-12-2016, 16:54   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Is there any advantage to pex tubing for a boat over the reinforced hose sold in marine stores?
I suspect PEX is less expensive. Both will carry water from here to there and last a long time.

If you ever need to add or replace a section, PEX will be easier to find than marine tubing. Any hardware store or home center will stock it.