Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2015, 19:08   #1

What heater should I replace my Tiny Tot with (on a 28' Triton)

Hello all,

I just mostly decided to spend the winter on my boat rather than get an apartment (I'm working in Baltimore this winter). I'm on a Triton, a pretty small 28.5' boat. I have a Tiny Tot that I've been using with charcoal. It works ok, but it's messy and charcoal is a pain in the a## and I don't want to aspixiate myself.

I'd like to invest some money in a decent stove that would be nicer to use than the Tiny Tot. I have propane on the boat already and it would be easy enough to split the line for that.

But it seems like people like their Diesel heaters too. I have an outboard though, so currently don't have diesel on the boat and don't really love the idea of having 3 different fuels onboard, although if Diesel was somehow superior I would probably go for it.

I'm not sure how big a heater I would need.

Anyone have a suggestion for a wall mounted heater? Currently I have a Charlie Nobel with a 3" stovepipe.

Anyone familiar with this heater?
SIG MARINE Cozy Cabin Propane Heater | West Marine

I could probably supplement with a small electric heater from the dock power which would be nice to keep my feet warm.

Thanks!
Paul
sully75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 19:09   #2

Re: What heater should I replace my Tiny Tot with (on a 28' Triton)

Oh and my other question, if I shrinkwrap the boat, can I extend a chimney up past the shrinkwrap?
Old 11-11-2015, 07:30   #3

Anyone?
Old 14-11-2015, 17:25   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Realistically speaking if you are tied to a dock and have 110 available just get an electric space heater. If you are on a mooring and expect to rely on anything but a full sized diesel heater, properly exhausted, you'll spend most of your time shivering. You may not be in New England, but it gets damn cold in Baltimore.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote